Cohiba Gran Reserva

Lotusguy

BD unknown (purchased as two singles from a LCDH in Mexico 1.5 years ago)

Medium Colorado wrapper. Perfect cap. No veins to speak of. Perfect draw with light resistance.

Paired with cappuccino.

Pre-light: Strong cocoa at the foot, slight barnyard when drawing.

Smoke time: 90+ minutes

Opening: Smooooooooooth!!! Hay aromas.

First third: Unlike many LEs which have a somewhat generic chocolate/cocoa profile that has little in common with the regular production releases of the same marcas, this CGR totally has the Cohiba grassiness. In fact, I cannot really distinguish this stick from a good (5 year+ aged) regular Siglo VI. It has the slightly sour notes of the Cuban "twang". It is rather on the light bodied side, surprisingly. Very easy retrohale. Not the "party in my mouth" explosion of flavors that I was hoping for. You can feel and taste the very high quality tobacco, though. Very good burn. After about one inch, some wood notes develop. Smoke volume is average. Ash is a dark grey and holds pretty firm.

Second third: Ash falls right at the beginning. Burn still nice and straight. Still core of dried grass but now a slight spice on the nose and more wood. Not as much as for example a HDM Du Roi but quite noticeable. Pepper remains on the retrohale. Very smooth smoke as if it had 10 years on it rather than just a couple (of course, the tobacco used has been aged 5 years already prior to rolling). Nutty finish that is not as super-long as that of the MGR yesterday. Ash falls again at the half way point of the cigar. Strength picks up a bit and the pepper goes away.

Last third: Smoke volume goes up - not sure why. Flavors very much like the second third with pepper coming in and out. Almost let it go out because I had to take a work call - a few strong puffs to wake it up again introduced a bit of harshness but after a few minutes it settled down again. The unsweetened cappuccino complements this cigar exceedingly well.

Final thoughts: I'd rate it a 95 - a very, very good smoke but it was a bit too close to a regular Siglo VI for my taste. BHK54 and 52 remain my favorite Cohibas. I have one of these Grand Reservas left now, which I will taste a year or so down the road. The price of these is unquestionably ridiculous, though...

post-7384-0-90560200-1347848534.jpg

post-7384-0-55002800-1347848548.jpg

post-7384-0-45076500-1347848557.jpg

post-7384-0-41220600-1347848564.jpg

post-7384-0-32300800-1347848571.jpg

post-7384-0-41219000-1347848582.jpg

post-7384-0-02385700-1347848590.jpg

Nice review and photos! Thanks. I agree with you. I've found that '03 VI's are just as nice of a smoke (not to mention the 60-70$ per cigar price difference depending where you find em).

thanks for the review...nice lighter btw st dupont maxi jet?

Almost - it's the predecessor, a S.T. Dupont X-tend (made in France versus the Maxijet which is made in China). I've only had it for a few weeks but I frigging love that thing!

Great review and pics - Thanks for sharing !

... und Danke dafür mich daran zu erinnern dieses schöne Stück auch mal wieder zu rauchen :idea:

Jederzeit! :)

We should meet up when I am back in Germany sometime. This trip starting Thursday got shortened so unless you can be at the Spaetzlecasa next Saturday morning, it will have to be when I am back for 2 weeks in November :D

Jederzeit! :)

We should meet up when I am back in Germany sometime. This trip starting Thursday got shortened so unless you can be at the Spaetzlecasa next Saturday morning, it will have to be when I am back for 2 weeks in November :D

Jederzeit gerne auch hier bei uns in der Apotheke.

Leider wird es bei Herrn Schäuble kurzfristig nicht klappen und November bin ich auf der grossen Insel ... bist Du auch in Havanna mit dabei ... da werden wir eine gute Gruppe sein ....

November ... you'll have to fly down to Havana, Klaus B)

Liebe Grüße - Nino

Jederzeit gerne auch hier bei uns in der Apotheke.

Leider wird es bei Herrn Schäuble kurzfristig nicht klappen und November bin ich auf der grossen Insel ... bist Du auch in Havanna mit dabei ... da werden wir eine gute Gruppe sein ....

November ... you'll have to fly down to Havana, Klaus B)

Liebe Grüße - Nino

I'd much rather in be in Havana in November than in Southern Germany but work takes me to the cold :(

We'll make it happen sometime, Nino :)