A visit to "A La Civette"

Today's plans took us to the Louvre. Probably the best museum in the world. The French should be proud. What happens outside the museum itself is not something the French should be proud of. As we exited Concord Metro station to take a nice walk through the gardens and make our way to the entrance, we noticed a sickening scene interest near distance. Three to four "Roman/Gypsies girls literally pounce on two well dressed Japanese girls. The were pinching and prodding at them mercilessly to try and pry their purses on them. Even as male locals came to their aid, these jackals bared their teeth and verbal invective towards them in a mind your own ****ingredients business kind of way. And the attackers were apparently all under 18 which makes them untouchable. Pathetic.

Sigh...On to other things.

After several hours in the Louvre we needed a break. That break was at a nearby cigar store. A La Civette.

It was only a few minutes walk away.

post-6763-0-09530400-1350079427.jpg

The store was good sized, quaint and clean. The humidor itself was well organized but not that broadly stocked. Half the shelves were dedicated to NC's. :covermouth:

post-6763-0-43426600-1350079664.jpg

post-6763-0-02990400-1350079742.jpg

post-6763-0-52567400-1350079862.jpg

I went looking for French RE's. But there was only four different ones with about 6 - 8 of each in stock. And to my slight horror, the sticks were poorly kept. Evidence of blue or white mold on the sticks. I found a few that were not scarred and had them rung up. Great little store, slightly underwhelming selection which could've so good or a bad sign. Having finished our visit we head back to the Louvre for a few more hours. The week has seen its first sunny day. How unfortunate that it shine so light on such seedy activity. I've seen this throughout Italy and now here. Such a shame. But, for the most part it was a trouble free day.

• Like 1

Try not to be too judgemental over the pickpockets, the vast majority are tricked into being brought over by criminal gangs and are then forced to do what they do to bring in certain amounts of money or they are beaten/sexually abused. They ones you see are the luckier ones i.e the ones who have not been pushed into the sex slave industry.

No country in the EU will do anything about it and no police will help them beyond throwing them in a cell for a night then chucking them out back onto the streets again in the morning.

The kids (Although they have never had a childhood) have to do what they do or be left as a corpse in a ditch.

Try not to be too judgemental over the pickpockets, the vast majority are tricked into being brought over by criminal gangs and are then forced to do what they do to bring in certain amounts of money or they are beaten/sexually abused. They ones you see are the luckier ones i.e the ones who have not been pushed into the sex slave industry.

No country in the EU will do anything about it and no police will help them beyond throwing them in a cell for a night then chucking them out back onto the streets again in the morning.

The kids (Although they have never had a childhood) have to do what they do or be left as a corpse in a ditch.

Pickpocketing is one thing outright ganging up on easy prey is another. I've experienced this here before and in Italy. Men and women, young and old are involved in this chicanery. It makes me think that this is more than simple coercion. I'm pretty moderate in my views and I try to be objective but it seems to me that this needs to be addressed across Europe once and for all. Roma are hitting Canadian shores now and they're are upnto the same old tricks despite all the government assistance bestowed upon them. Recently 35 of them were arrested under organized crime charges. All from the same families and extended families. This is a group that. Knows how to play the system. I don't doubt that what you say is not a possibility but what I've seen and read is this. Young girls are recruited because they cannot be touched by the law and chances are low that any marks are going to slug them. I've seen locals tell them off or respond with a simple ”non merci" and get verbally mocked and attacked in return. These are no shrinking violets. I don't want this time get too political but I had to put down what I saw in a matter of fact sort of way.

Do you have plans to visit the Musée d'Orsay? I enjoyed it more than the Louvre. If you are into Impressionism, don't miss it. I had the same experience at À la Civette. I picked up a couple Bolivar Petit Coronas but that was it. I did grab an excellent box of RA Superiores at CDG Duty Free. Bon Appetit!

Young girls are recruited because they cannot be touched by the law and chances are low that any marks are going to slug them.

It's ok this isn't political :)

You have to understand though that the media used this word 'recruited' as if it's just a job for these girls, or that they even have a choice. They are 'recruited' just the same as child-soldiers in Rwanda were 'recruited'. It's what makes me hate the whole media industry and the slime that work in it. These kids are 'recruited' at knife point, at either their throats or their parents, and are made to do what the criminal gangs want them to do via being forced to become addicted to heroin, beaten and raped until they are willing or their siblings being threatened with the above. They arrive in the back of trucks half starved thinking that they are going to a new life and the gangs are taking them to a new home and job etc. They aren't shrinking violets because if they don't bring in their allotted amount they are treated to the above abuse or moved into sex slavery.

If there is anything you can take away from this it's hate the criminal gangs, don't hate the children. When people repeat the media's headlines tell them the truth about the childen's lives. The gypsy community in Europe was nearly wiped out in the gas chambers 70 years ago because people blindly believed what they were told about them and didn't look for the truth, there are sections of the world who would have no issue if the same happened again. Economic troubles? Just take people's minds off it with a little hate stirring against a minority no one likes. That needs to be stamped out no matter how small the lie seems to be.

CQ

My wife had her iPhone stolen just outside the Louvre in January - she was alone with my nine year old daughter - similar situation to that described at the start of this thread. She was so thrilled to be there that she wasn't paying attention. Scared the crap out of them. My daughter says "don't worry Mom, they didn't steal me, and that's what's important." They went on to enjoy the museum. French civil authorities should indeed resolve this issue.

When you were in La Civette did they go through inventory for you or did you just look on the shelves?

Look for a couple of other shops if you have time and don't lose faith brother - have a wonderful trip.

Miss you!

Regarding the pickpocket issue, signs all over Paris, even in the Louvre, tell people to be wary of this problem.

Another is gypsies who walk up to you with a sob story to sell you an engagement ring, complete with gold marks (fake ones) for 10e

Fell for the second one first time we went there so that is how we know. Hey one born every minute.

We left anything valuable in our apartment and practically carried stuff hidden up our orifices. Apparently Rome is worse. At one point, in Amsterdam, a guy came up to us with a map asking questions that did not make sense. We knew he was just trying to distract is for a pickpocket and we got the heck away from him!

Oh the freaking gold ring trick...I speak French fluently, so told them to f*ck off (happened to me lik 8 times within an hour last time I was in Paris).

A La Civette is a real hidden gem. Their humidor isn't that big, but they have a great aged selection. Visited there in April and they had some pre-2003 Cohiba Siglo V. Was there in '09 and I found some pre-2003 Esplendidos (currently in the top 3 best cigars I've had). Prices are very good and staff is knowledgable.

Ahhhh too bad to buy French RE cigars in la civette! :) They are not the best cubans (except the liberator which is amazing).

The fact is that cigar store has cigars that taste really better than many other cigar shops, maybe because of their severe selection and excellent climate. You should let them choose for you, they usually go to the inventory downstairs to look for the right stick.

I recommend it strongly

Ahhhh too bad to buy French RE cigars in la civette! smile.png They are not the best cubans (except the liberator which is amazing).

Have you tried the Punch Small Club? The ERDM Petit Compania? The Boli Petit Libertadore?

The fact is that cigar store has cigars that taste really better than many other cigar shops, maybe because of their severe selection and excellent climate. You should let them choose for you,

Even in France they have the reputation to sell over humidified cigars! And, unless you're a complete newbie, you should always choose yourself when it is permitted, how else do you learn?

Have you tried the Punch Small Club? The ERDM Petit Compania? The Boli Petit Libertadore?

Even in France they have the reputation to sell over humidified cigars! And, unless you're a complete newbie, you should always choose yourself when it is permitted, how else do you learn?

My friend, I have been smoking cigars (and only cigars) for several years now. I tried them all except the Punch because I don't enjoy that size.. I really don't like the ERDM, I think it is too regular with no surprise.

Well I did not know about their reputation and in all cases I do not agree with it. I have my own opinion on it.

I usually choose my cigars myself of course and I learnt some years ago :D but there are a couple of cigar shops I feel confident with so it is my pleasure to let them choose for me.

• 1 year later...

Just returned with Europe and received great service from the owner(?) at Civette. All the others working there were kids.

Anyways, I got go to into their secondary humidor down the stairs and walked away from a really nice box of 08 Ramon Allones 08 France Re's. She showed me a couple boxes of 50ct Hoyos with 10+ years on them. No price difference for the aged sticks.