Review: Ramon Allones 898

A great BOTL gifted one of these HTF beauties not too long ago.I let it rest but I couldn't wait any longer. I packed this for my trip to Paris and finally lit it up.

Pictured below is my smoking spot in Paris. It's right around the corner from me, well shielded from wind and overlooks a nice cafe. What really makes it special is that the building pictured in the back is where Picasso had a studio during his "Blue Period".

post-6763-0-01875700-1350466947_thumb.jp

Now, on to the work of art known as the Ramon Allones 898

Box code: Circa 2000/1

I lit this in the courtyard of my apartment with a single match. It took to flame easily. I then head out to my spot with my cigar in hand and camera slung over my shoulder.

First Third:

The first third started off with some graham cracker and sourdough, a few floral notes here and there. There were constant light hints of cedar. Some nutmeg was also present. The cigar was dry like Champagne.

Second Third:

Around the 2nd third typical RA stewed fruit became present. That flavour was a bit subdued. Some more cedar, some tobacco strength kicked in, but not in a bad way. This third really started to hint that this cigar was going to evolve nicely.

post-6763-0-78183700-1350467326_thumb.jp

Final Third.

The lead in to the final third really really shone. The stewed fruit taste had come on strong. On a few draws I could've sworn I bit into a maraschino cherry. A few other hits were pure cedar, like chewing on an insert sheet in a fresh box of Cubans. While the tastes got richer the cigar was smooth as silk. I had a Partagas 898 the previous night and the RA 898 blew it away.

I rate it a 94.

post-6763-0-95247100-1350467408_thumb.jp

Final Words

While the opening was slow, it was a wonderful, smooth journey to the end. This cigar had lots of legs to it. Probably the most balanced cigar I've had in a while. And I'd say that this cigar came closest to my experience smoking a 1970 Davidoff No 1.

Great review, thanks for sharing!

If anyone knows where to find these (not very likely though), PM me please.

Cheers!

Great review Frank!

I lucked my way into a box of these last year.... Happened to be in right place at right time. Bought from a PCC store directly, and stored perfectly for years!

That was an expensive but joyous day :)