Por Larranaga Montecarlos

sbmcduffee

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smoking through an EML SEP 14 box right now and I'm not disappointed. They do need some time to acclimate in the humi but after the 30-60 days they're ready to rock.  These are starting off on th

Having smoked my first one of these last night (a single, no idea of age), If I had a category of “biggest different between how expensive it tastes and actual cost” the PLMC would be my pick so far.

These are pretty sensational. I am almost finished with a TOS Sep 15 box, and the value here in pretty outstanding. Not just a very good cigar for the price, but a very good cigar, period. Maybe

Smoking one now, Rott One of the sweetest young cigars I've smoked. This would be a tremendous am smoke with coffee. AME MAY 13.

I find the PLP, PLMC, and PLPC all go well with coffee.in fact PLP is my go to morning smoke when I have one. I find the PLMC to be a really good smoke but it's a sipping cigar. Smoke this cigar too quick and you lose the subtleties with it. When taken at a leisurely pace, this cigar is very good and very good value. You do get the odd tight draw with these as well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first one over the weekend. Glad I bought a box.

Right there with you.

The Montecarlos are excellent sticks. Although mine need a couple of months to settle down.

I really used to not be a dan of this size cigar. But the montecarlos won me over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Livo, on 21 Oct 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:Livo, on 21 Oct 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

Panetela - short filler

Montecarlo - long filler

PLPC - long filler

Is this correct?

Just to Clarify:

Pre-circa 2002

PL Panetela - short filler & machine-made

PL Montecarlo - short filler & machine-made

PL PC - long filler & handmade

Post-circa 2002

PL Panetela - short filler & handmade

PL Montecarlo - long filler & handmade

• Like 1

Just to Clarify:

Pre-circa 2002

PL Panetela - short filler & machine-made

PL Montecarlo - short filler & machine-made

Post-circa 2002

PL Panetela - short filler & handmade

PL Montecarlo - long filler & handmade

Thanks great info. I have a PL montecarlo resting in my humidor I cant wait to try.

I experienced the same on a few. Dry boxing or the fridge trick made them perfect. Being so thin they are very sensitive to humidity. I maintain my humidor at 65 but find these smoke best a little below that. Otherwise they are awesome.

• Like 1

Just had my first Por Larranaga Motecarlos. Box code is MLO Mar 12. They've been in the humidor for just over a month at around 67%. While I plan on letting the majority sit for some time, I couldn't help but try one as I've never had anything from PL and have only had a few long and skinnies ever. I bought these with the idea that they would be a less serious smoke while I aged some of the more storied cigars in my collection. I was shocked by just how good they were.

The cigar started out with a really pure roasted tobacco flavor. It really showcased that Cuban "twang" that everyone who tries to explain Cuban cigars describes. About halfway through it kind of settled down into some creamy coffee flavors. I also got my first taste of bread in a cigar. It was a lot like a croissant dipped in coffee with cream. Toward the end it hinted at getting some nutmeg or cardamom, but mostly just kept developing the creamy coffee flavors.

Right around 90 minutes beginning to end and exceptional throughout. If the rest of the box comes anywhere close to the first one I will have to say these are the best value coming out of Cuba.

I dont know why but I have never tried these,go'n to have to try and scare up A few of these!

Anybody tried the PL carona? If so what do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard nothing but good things about these and this thread has helped me secure my next purchase smile.png

Just got a box in today and tried one after a few hours of dryboxing. SImply wonderful. PL is one of my top brands and these things are a screaming deal all day.

• Like 1

Do you mean the PL petit corona?

They are great, better with a few years but still very enjoyable fresh. Plus they come n a 50 cab so there's plenty to observe their evolution over time

• Like 1

Would love to get my hands on a PLPC cab! I love those sticks!

So much so that I had to go in on the Montecarlos when they came up on the 12;12.

I've smoked through about four or five of them fresh – EML FEB 14 – and 3/5 have been splendid. 1/5 okay, and 1/5 rubbish.

With those odds, I'm going to keep on smoking with a mind that the rubbish stick was either a product of the environment, mind-state and storage conditions (music festival) or one poor example in an otherwise very enjoyable box. These might not have the privilege of gathering any age by the way I'm enjoying them at the moment.

Back in the 70's lanceros and panatelas is what just about everone I knew smoked! I wonder what the old timers would think of these 54+ RG cigars?

• Like 2

If you're talking PLPC, I'd say they need a couple of years minimum to be approachable - otherwise far too harsh. Not so with the Montecarlos, although boxes I get are usually at least a year old already.

I've smoked through about four or five of them fresh – EML FEB 14 – and 3/5 have been splendid. 1/5 okay, and 1/5 rubbish.

With those odds, I'm going to keep on smoking with a mind that the rubbish stick was either a product of the environment, mind-state and storage conditions (music festival) or one poor example in an otherwise very enjoyable box. These might not have the privilege of gathering any age by the way I'm enjoying them at the moment.

Most likely a lack of age - was the rubbish stick uncommonly harsh with little in the way of discernible flavors? This is my experience with under-aged PLs.

Back in the 70's lanceros and panatelas is what just about everone I knew smoked! I wonder what the old timers would think of these 54+ RG cigars?

So much of what's in vogue now is flashy, and arresting, and in-your-face, so I see how big RG are popular now. If finesse and temperament and good taste are ever back in fashion, I'm sure Habanos will follow suit my re-introducing all of the glorious lonsdales, coronas, and panatelas of yesteryear.

• Like 1