Alternatives to Por Larranaga panetelas?

Wil

I recently bought a box of PL panatelas from Rob. They are fantastic little cigars - so good young!

Just wondering where these sit in the scheme of cheap and cheerfuls. How do they compare to others like the Rafael Gonzalez panatelas extra and bolivar tubos no. 3?

Any recommendations?

Cheers!

Troya Corona Club are pretty great, seriously cheap but nice sweet rich tobacco, come in tubes too so you can grab a couple and stuff them in your pocket for a dog walk etc, no aging needed they are great fresh.

Quintero Panetelas, great fresh again but only get sweeter with age, the tubed version are great for the above reason too.

Those plus what you've already mentioned are pretty much my winter dog walking smokes apart from an NC, Winston Churchill Lancaster. It's a petit belicosos and comes in a 5-pack tin. It's the first 100% cuban seed cigar Davidoff have made and they really are exceptional, very chocolatey and rich.

I've a tin of those new RyJ Julietas and a tin of the new Upmann half coronas coming to give them a test run.

I've a tin of those new RyJ Julietas and a tin of the new Upmann half coronas coming to give them a test run.

The RyJ are dog rockets but the Half Coronas are yummy!

Cheers guys!

Hadn't considered the Quinteros, so will give them a go. Might pick up a box of RG panetelas extra too.

I've been blown away by the quality of the PLPs. I've been trying a few NCs lately, including a few 'high end' ones. The PLP puts them all to shame.

CQ, you'll love the Upmann HCs. They are great little smokes.

RG are good sticks. My box from '11 is exponentially more flavorful than the PL Panatelas from December same yr.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently picked up a box of PLP to split with a buddy. They're ugly as sin, but they are tasty little buggers.

Along with the PLP, I picked up some Quintero Londres Extra and JLP Cazadores. At an average price under $2.50 a stick, I'm pleased with all of them.

YMMV. I may or may not have the palate of a mountain goat. :D

Yep, the RyJ julietta are bad, I enjoy the RG panatellas extra, and have done for a while..great value.

Interestingly, I have really been enjoying the RyJ Petit Julietas.

• Like 1

Yep, me too, they're pretty strong little fellows.

But those Juliettas in the tin are pretty tasteless, IMO.

Agreed 100%.

OT: How do you like the Punch Margaritas in comparison to the Petit Julietas? I enjoy them both...

I received a box of PLPs around three months ago. Was a little bit disappointed when I had the first ROTB. They were not very pretty to look at either. After reading this thread I decided to give it another go. In that short amount of time there was a remarkable difference. It was a right little crackerjack of a cigar. Will definitely pick up more

Just got back from Havana, and found and bought some amazing QdO Panetellas, from 2001, 2002, 2005, and 2008. If you enjoy the PL ones, you might also enjoy these little citrus-floral QdO treats.

Little? These are significantly longer than the PL Panetelas, Keith :)

Little? These are significantly longer than the PL Panetelas, Keith smile.png

True. My bad.

I generally refer to most of these long and skinnies as "little". LOL.

I just looked it up on Trevor's webpage, and yes, I forgot that the PL's are short panetelas, and the QdO are longer/ninfas. My bad.

However, the flavour profiles, while different, seem to have that refined finesse of flavours from either blend that most might appreciate. That's more where I was meaning to go with that tip.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had a few RGPE's from my box and they seem to have a bit of a bitter taste to them, anyone else get them? PL panetelas are stellar though. I've also had the Punch Margaritas which I enjoy very much (shame they stopped making them)

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Tried the PL Panetelas recently and was rather underwhelmed. After smoking 3 so far, I'm surprised at the lack of the better part of the PL profile. Still have not had a Panetela that had the cream/butter, sweetness, or must that I enjoy in PL MC/PC/Encantos/Belicosos/etc.

As for a C&C, I've fallen for the Quintero Londres Extras. At their worst, they're little more than cuban earth and twang. A particularly good QLE, on the other hand, is better than most NC that cost 3-10 times as much

IMO, there is no such thing as a good and cheap cigar. With cuban QC, your chances of getting a dud in a sub 110 dollar box is relatively high. I stopped purchasing bargain smokes a long time ago... even vintage MMs. I prefer to smoke a pipe over a bargain cigar.