Alternatives to Por Larranaga panetelas?

Wil

Tried the PL Panetelas recently and was rather underwhelmed. After smoking 3 so far, I'm surprised at the lack of the better part of the PL profile. Still have not had a Panetela that had the cream/butter, sweetness, or must that I enjoy in PL MC/PC/Encantos/Belicosos/etc.

As for a C&C, I've fallen for the Quintero Londres Extras. At their worst, they're little more than cuban earth and twang. A particularly good QLE, on the other hand, is better than most NC that cost 3-10 times as much

I really enjoy PLPs and prefer them relatively fresh to fresh PLPC.s. I actually find that they do show the the PL profile and are one of my favourite cigars to enjoy with coffee in the morning. Part from the occasional tight draw, I seldom get a dud.

I recently opened a box of 2012 QLEs and was really surprised by them. Very nice smoke. And I'm glad I have the box to continue to sample from.

IMO, there is no such thing as a good and cheap cigar. With cuban QC, your chances of getting a dud in a sub 110 dollar box is relatively high. I stopped purchasing bargain smokes a long time ago... even vintage MMs. I prefer to smoke a pipe over a bargain cigar.

My experience has been that recent PLPs (2012 and on) have been very reliable. I also smoke a box of 2012 RGPEs and had no issues. I really enjoy this cigar as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy PLPs and prefer them relatively fresh to fresh PLPC.s. I actually find that they do show the the PL profile and are one of my favourite cigars to enjoy with coffee in the morning. Part from the occasional tight draw, I seldom get a dud.

I understand what you're saying - PLPC just need down time. Theirs is a long and slow journey - probably on account of all of you buying them non-stop to where they have no time to age whilst in the vendors care!

What I've been wondering lately is whether some PLP are made with the leftovers from some of the overpriced, super premium PL lines such as the Regalias, Legendarios, etc. This would explain a recent jump in quality for these short filler smokes.

I have

I understand what you're saying - PLPC just need down time. Theirs is a long and slow journey - probably on account of all of you buying them non-stop to where they have no time to age whilst in the vendors care!

What I've been wondering lately is whether some PLP are made with the leftovers from some of the overpriced, super premium PL lines such as the Regalias, Legendarios, etc. This would explain a recent jump in quality for these short filler smokes.

I have wondered the same thing. Some PLP can be excellent, surpassing expectations. I've wondered if premium scraps are being added back in addition to the regular tobacco used to make the PLPs.

I have wondered the same thing. Some PLP can be excellent, surpassing expectations. I've wondered if premium scraps are being added back in addition to the regular tobacco used to make the PLPs.

Well, although they may be made with extremely small, deformed, or otherwise less-than-premium leaf that has been chopped up, I'd guess they're made with leftovers. What kind of leftovers? Only HSA knows for sure!

Bought a box of Por Larannaga Pantelas about a year ago. About 2/3 of the cigars were plugged. Really frustrated because the ones a did smoke were great for the price! May try another box out but I don't know.

Anyone else have a problem with these sticks being plugged??

Size vice it might not qualify as a cigar, but I really enjoyed a box of party chicos I bought last year. Its not a premium smoke but great ( for me) for a quick break when times doesnt allow a real cigar.

Quality in my last box was much better than my samples from earlier years

Bought a box of Por Larannaga Pantelas about a year ago. About 2/3 of the cigars were plugged. Really frustrated because the ones a did smoke were great for the price! May try another box out but I don't know.

Anyone else have a problem with these sticks being plugged??

This is not unheard of for short filler OR skinnies, based upon my experience. I bought a fiver of PL Panetelas a while ago, have smoked 4 so far, and 2 were fairly plugged - 1 unsmokably so.

2/3 is a pretty bad draw, though.

I've gone through entire boxes of PLPs with no issues and others with some tight draws and a few plugs. It is common to get a few plugs with TC cigars but recent stock has been very good for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The JLP cazadores are decent sticks that are comparable to the PL Panatella. For about fifty bucks. Totally different stick, but decent for the money. I wouldn't turn one down.