Plain packaging. Is this it?

OK, what about new stock that is not packaged for the Australian market? Can you just put government bands over those ones?

There will be no plain packaged boxes (at this time) for the Australian market. Habanos s.a has vetoed it. Plain packaged stock (out of Australia) arrives in a plastic bag. There is nothing to celebrate here.

Over the coming months international members will see hat no health warning stickers are on their boxes at all. That is the upside spotlight.gif

It is not illegal for Aussies to order their boxes offshore and bypass (again, legally) Australian plain packaged legislation. If you need a ling to a trusted site I can give it.

Has the sky fallen in? No. The Aussie community will be stronger, faster, closer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is really interesting, and what the government has failed to tell us, is what this plain apckaging change is costing the Australian Tax payer.

All non plain packaged ciggarettes had to be removed from sale on the 1st of Dec. These smokes were not repackaged, they were distroyed. Millions of dollars worth of cigarettes, pulped because the packages were wrong. The manufactures didnt wear the cost of removing the stock and the lost revenue it caused, they were compensated by the Aus government.

The Aus Government bought and then distroyed over 5 million packages of cigarettes purly because they didnt meet the new regulations.

The cost of removal and transport of the non complient cigaretts was also picked up by the Aus Government.

Personally I think it would have made more sence to bring in plain packaging gradually, allowing retailers to sell thier existing stock and restocking them with new complient packages. Sure this probebly wouldve taken a couple of months but it would've saved millions.

Also, it would have meant all our locar cigar retailers would not have had to go through thier exisiting invintory and repackage everything they had in stock. Saving time and money

It cost the Australian people millions to implement a scheme that no one wants and that no one expects to work anyway

I know its not really cigar related but i though it was interesting anyway

These are my photos from cigars I went in and purchased from C.U.N.T.A.S. HQ on Wednesday. Funny how they have made their way around (I first posted them on Reddit's cigar sub).

I uploaded the photos because I thought some might be curious about what it all looks like and hadn't come across it yet.

At the end of the day, I personally don't think this is a huge problem for most cigar smokers. I mostly smoke singles and I have complete faith in Smithy/Di/Rob/Lisa in delivering quality legitimate products. If I wanted to buy a box I'd probably just buy from the overseas facilities anyway. We're lucky to have such a great group of people to trust with our cigars, so I won't be losing any sleep over the new laws.

I do feel a bit bad though for all the hard work the government is forcing them (and other Aussie tobacconists, of course) to do. All that rebranding must be sending them mad. Should probably start bringing them chocolates every time I pick up an order.

There will be no plain packaged boxes (at this time) for the Australian market. Habanos s.a has vetoed it. Plain packaged stock (out of Australia) arrives in a plastic bag. There is nothing to celebrate here.

Over the coming months international members will see hat no health warning stickers are on their boxes at all. That is the upside spotlight.gif

It is not illegal for Aussies to order their boxes offshore and bypass (again, legally) Australian plain packaged legislation. If you need a ling to a trusted site I can give it.

Has the sky fallen in? No. The Aussie community will be stronger, faster, closer.

Rob, I love your optimisn, just wish I could share it. I truly believe this is the thin end of the wedge, remember we are dealing with zealots and like all zealots they MUST keep fighting "the good fight". Yes, for now we can buy cigars overseas but for how long? For now we can by our booze without huge health warnings but again for how long? In the last 5 years I've seen government control over what we can say or do grow in ways I would never had dreamed before.

We are living in very dangerous times and we must start fighting for our freedoms. In a country like Australia who would have thought it?

HEY, DBONE!!! THANKS for that scene from "Demolition Man"! I LOVE Dennis Leary's rants, and only want to see THAT scene if I decide to sit thru that movie - again.

Also, to quote only part of an old African saying, "A good thing sells itself..." I don't need no stinkin' advertisement bright lights and colors. If its says "Cuban cigar" that's all I need and I'm on it!

Love his work! (along with Bill Burr and Ralphie May)

Leary's "No Cure for Cancer" show from the early 90's has that EPIC bit about calling cigarettes TOMBERS with a scull and cross bone on the pack and him saying that smokers will be lined up around the block saying "I can't wait to get my hands on that..." lol!

Plain packaging or not, a good stogie's allure and benefit will prevail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Absolute bloody retards who thought this up...so stupid on all levels, in 35 years I've never bought a cigar because of the band or what it was packaged in...for the collector who likes his bands..he still gets them...the cigar doesn't change..these changes only highlight the moronic way our countries are going to the dogs....