The Top 25 Cigars of 2012

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOOPs I did not realize the list came out already!!!! smartass.gifsmartass.gifsmartass.gifshead.gifshead.gifshead.gif

OOOPs I did not realize the list came out already!!!! smartass.gifsmartass.gifsmartass.gifshead.gifshead.gifshead.gif

You got 3 of the top 10 Lisa! Rocky Pooptel and his $19 MSRP Robusto, Ashton (which makes good cigars) and the Tatuaje Cojonu from this year.

Wow. Is that the first ever special release Cuban to be in their top 25?

As mentioned above, I believe they stay away from limited/special production.

Seems they are using the "widely available" moniker to get away with including it, much like how "the Cojonu 2012 band isn't a time stamp and doesn't mean 'limited'".

Wonder why they are bending the rules a bit.

You got 3 of the top 10 Lisa! Rocky Pooptel and his $19 MSRP Robusto, Ashton (which makes good cigars) and the Tatuaje Cojonu from this year.

Still 5 to go too... LOL

Poodermo

Pootel

Poodilla

But I like La Auroras

An another note. James Suckling released his top 10 Cuban cigars of 2012. They're an eclectic mix of cigars from different eras.

Direct link (note, details are behind a paywall. So if you don't have an account all you'll get is the list below)

1. Montecristo 520 Edición Limitada 2012 98 points

2. Partagas Serie C No. 3 Edición Limitada 2012 97 points

3. Behike 56 100 points

4. La Escepción Selectos Finos Edizione Regionale Italia 2011 97 points

5. Cohiba 1966 Edición Limitada 2011 95 points

6. Cohiba Piramide Extra 94 points

7. Montecristo No.2 97 points

8. Trinidad 40th Anniversary Humidor Cigar 96 points

9. Edmundo Dantes El Conde 54 Edición Regional Mexico 95 points

10. Davidoff Dom Perignon 95 points

thats a good list right there. CA cuban coverage is suffering with suckling not being there imo

'

I agree.

That is a solid list. I can't really fault any of the choices. Though I would rate the La Escepcion as No 1. ;) Also the Piramides Extra, while good isn't in the same league as the BHK line. I've had two. While enjoyable they did not warrant the hype. At least not yet.

5 to 2

5-Fuente Rosato R44

4-Padron 85

3-Romeo y Julieta - Romeo (NC)

2-Cohiba 1966

1-???

so two cubans in the top ten so far...

One brand I noticed on the CA list was Tatuaje.

IMO Pete Johnson puts out some great NC cigars.

I had the opportunity to meet him at a cigar event and he is a super guy.

Great Cigars + Super Guy = spotlight.gif

I wonder how much hsa pay mr suckling, that's like an ad for the latest/most expensive releases. How the hell can the 520 be no 1 already, its ok but c'mon, and the pyramide extra - standard cohiba refined and smooth and blah :P then some old stuff as a smoke screen...

The hard thing to understand without being a cynic innocent.gif is how CC have dominated CA's magazine reviews for the most part, but don't garner as many top spots? To be fair, CC make up a much smaller percentage of cigars reviewed, but I would think from what I see in the magazine that CC should have a minimum of 8-10 spots on the top 25 with most of those in the top 15.

I wonder how much hsa pay mr suckling, that's like an ad for the latest/most expensive releases. How the hell can the 520 be no 1 already, its ok but c'mon, and the pyramide extra - standard cohiba refined and smooth and blah tongue.png then some old stuff as a smoke screen...

Reading the Suckling list tempted me enough to crack my first Montecristo 520 from my stash tonight. Now no doubt about it, this will be a legendary cigar. A richness in the tobacco which is virtually unheard of and a dark, oily perfect wrapper that coats your palate and takes you on a wonderful journey as you smoke this hefty cigar. Heads and shoulders above virtually all the recent LE releases. With that being said, there is simply no way this is a 98-rated cigar out of the gate. With some age, I am confident it can reach those lofy levels but rating it this high, this young definitely reeks of some marketing incentives! Bottom line is I am estatic with the quality of this cigar and very excited to have a couple boxes in the cooler but the 98 rating is definitely overboard at this point in my opinion.