Jars (Custom) - Some messing around I've been doing.

I've been "experimenting" with jars over the past year as I've found them to be an excellent way to store and possibly age cigars. Ever since I picked up my first jar, the LGC Deliciosos I couldn't get over how beautiful it was and how great a job it did in terms of maintaining RH. And the aroma's intensity when you open it! drool.gif

So, I've tried to replicate what that jar does in terms of function. Below are some examples.

First off.

I'm a big fan of HU Magnum 50's. I've had two 25 cabs and I'm down to about 23 cigars. I've smoked so many that I reserved myself to aging and sampling them over time. So I hunted down an acrylic jar. I had to wash and scrub the hell out of it to get rid of the "plastic" smell.

The end result.

The first photo is the sealed jar with a circular cedar cutout from the cabinet insert. It maintains a steady 65 RH even without humidifcation.

post-6763-0-87018800-1356656161_thumb.jp

Here's a shot of it open with some added detail. There's about 22 cigars in there.

post-6763-0-35419200-1356656224_thumb.jp

My next project was to fill in some Siglo VI Jars I purchased on Ebay.

The one on the right contains 25 2012 stock. The one on the right contains 25 2004 stock.

post-6763-0-05697100-1356656302_thumb.jp

Here's a top view of the two jars. I've wrapped one stick from each jar in wax paper to make stuffing it easier. It was incredibly hard and tedious to fill these to their spec capacity. But, in the end it worked out.

post-6763-0-53336300-1356656379_thumb.jp

Next up Hamlet Lanceros Jar. This one is acrylic as well. I picked up a whole bunch while in Havana. There's room for a lot more.

post-6763-0-96600400-1356656427_thumb.jp

Here's a closeup.

post-6763-0-10212500-1356656452_thumb.jp

Still on Hamlet's custom rolls. I present to you his "Flying Pigs". These are a real treat. Three hours to smoke, not a boring third to be found.

post-6763-0-28365200-1356656500_thumb.jp

A closeup. These are big, odd shaped cigars. You'll notice they don't stand up straight in the jar. There's 12 in there. I don't think any more would fit.

post-6763-0-40997900-1356656542_thumb.jp

My most recent project is a BHK jar. I tried something new. I found a glass jar that was appropriate to house BHK52's or 45's comfortably. I don't have enough to fit the jar but I hope to change that over time. smile.png I had to modify this jar. Every other jar I have came with a silicon ring to heal seal the contents. This one did not. I found some non odor kitchen/bath clear silicon and applied it to the lid and let it cure for a few days. No odor is present. And to top it off. It seals very tight. This jar would probably be a good bet for long term aging.

post-6763-0-21905400-1356656738_thumb.jp

My final jar is empty. I just picked this up a week ago. I've washed it out so there's is no odor in it. It looks like it will fit a cigar as long as a 1966. I might take this one apart and make a nice, slick black BHK jar for the 54's I have. I'll have to do some research into what paints to use as this one is properly painted and glazed. The seal on this jar is air tight. Another excellent candidate for long term storage.

post-6763-0-97279900-1356656900_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-64252100-1356656866_thumb.jp

And that's it. I hope you enjoyed my tour into jar madness. Here's a bonus shot. smile.png

Sadly, only one of these is mine. wink.png

post-6763-0-32681900-1356656999_thumb.jp

Looks great! The limited exposure I have to jars I had a problem with overhumidification and mould. I guess having them at least half full would work better.

Very, very cool! Why use acrylic though? Are there no porcelaine or glass ones out there that can be used just as easily?

That LGC jar is one of the glaring mistakes in my collection over time. I usually make teh right choice, but I opted for the Noellas instead at the time, and boy oh boy was that a mistake!!

Keep us updated. This is excellent!!

Thanks Shlomo. I chose the acrylic ones because they were not tapered at the top. They sides ran 90degrees to the base which is ideal. All the glass/porcelain ones I came across were wide bodied with a small opening. As for the LGC jar. I lucked out. My first choice was P1 jar. I'm so glad I changed my mind at the last second. It's a real beauty. :)

One other question, how is the BHK jar sealed? Is it as tight as the others?

I coated the edge of the lid in transparent silicon sealant. It has no odor. And it is very airtight. I have to wrestle to get it open. Even though I only applied the gel to the lid it really adheres to the mouth of the jar. The temp/RH readings you see on the Hygrometer have been that way for about two weeks.

Frank, do you simply keep your jars out in the open, or in another humidor? I'm assuming just left out in a room huh? I only have a couple jars but don't trust leaving them out enough... figure if I paid for an Aristocrat, I might as well use it!?! LOL But on the other hand, jars do look purdy!

Frank, do you simply keep your jars out in the open, or in another humidor? I'm assuming just left out in a room huh? I only have a couple jars but don't trust leaving them out enough... figure if I paid for an Aristocrat, I might as well use it!?! LOL But on the other hand, jars do look purdy!

Out in the open. I don't have no fancy Aristocrat! snooty.gifsneaky.gifnyah.gif They work well in terms of maintaining RH.

I still think you should have picked up some of the "limited" edition Guant jars (aluminum tins) when we were in Havana!!!!clap.gif

LOL. There were only dozens and dozens and dozens of those on the shelves when we were there. They should double or triple the value in NO TIME!!!!! LOL.

• 2 months later...

I coated the edge of the lid in transparent silicon sealant. It has no odor. And it is very airtight. I have to wrestle to get it open. Even though I only applied the gel to the lid it really adheres to the mouth of the jar. The temp/RH readings you see on the Hygrometer have been that way for about two weeks.

I made some humidifiers out of my old SigloII tubos and they work great!

I removed the cedar lining from the tubo, drilled 1/8" holes (I put them all in the back for aesthetics) cleaned all the sharp, loose metal. Smoothed the edges. Re-inserted the cedar, and filled with moistened beads, and popped the cap back on, and POOF! Works like a charm, and costs less than peanuts! post-13208-13640840853479.jpg

Awesome work guys.

I like the idea for the cigar tubes

I recently picked up a Tatuaje Black, LGC, P1 and Noella jar and am finding myself searching for more. I'm not really sure why but I do find they are nicer to look at when I open my wineador.

Is there any benefit to storing cigars in jars as opposed to boxes past the asthetics of them?