Travelling to Cuba/Canuck style.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will current things like BHK52's or 1966's be stocked?

At the main LCDH at Calle 62/63, yeah, pretty much for sure on the BHK's, and probably your best bet for teh 1966's if there's any left throughout Varadero. That's probably your best store to get to first - it's right on the main drag of Varadero central, right beside the Casa Del Ron, and across the street from the Cuatros Palmas hotel (the Palma Real is also nearby).

A great store, with a nice lounge upstairs. When I was last there in January/February 2011, they were completely renovating the upstairs lounge too. Very cool spot.

LOL.

And like Art, said, make sure you fully open and inspect ALL boxes and even singles/tubes/coffins that you're buying there.

While the selection at Calle 63 is quite good, they've had excessive moisture issues time and again there. I almost got bit before myself, in buying a bunch of stuff, and then not fully inspecting some coffins and three-packs.

Just make sure before you buy.

Cheers, and happy hunting.

Do they bring the stuff out from the humidor or can you go in there and fondle the merchandise?

You look around the shop itself, see if anything fits your fancy, and then, provided that they get a comfortable understanding that you have an understanding of what you're looking for, you can request to go into the big walk-in that is in the center-back of the store.

Eventually, go there enough, and you'll just be walked straight back into the humidor. Some of the best treats are there.

And....if you find any La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or stuff there, hands off! It's mine - they're just holding it for me until I next show up! LOL. rolleyes.gifinnocent.gif;)

When I was there a few weeks back the LCDH at 63rd was still under renovations (painting the outside the day I was there). They had a table outside with two ladies and you had to ask them and they would then go back in the store and search. Not the best shopping experience!

My experience was they had very limited knowledge. They seemed to be catering more to the tourist looking to grab a single or two versus someone looking to get a few boxes. For me the best part of the buying experience in Cuba is taking your time and pouring through the selection like a kid in a candy store. I am sure the experience will be better once the store is reopened fully.

I wish i knew more about cigars. I'm sure I'll go with a list of a dozen or so and see what I can get.

Like Bear said, you will be just fine :). Just don't hold on that list too tight because you never know what will be available or unavailable

Thanks for all the info guys. I still have a couple months before I go down so I has plenty of time to do more reading.

Now to figure out the storage of my new cigars...

Like a cooler or a large "desktop" unit? I currently have a small desktop that holds a messily dozen or so sticks.

Maybe should move this to a new thread as well...

They'll give suggestions. They don't know much though. Just what they have been told. So if you say you want something strong, they'll tell you to buy a Bolivar. Something mild? Hoyo. Something to show off with? Cohiba. Etc...

Something to show off this???? really???

Yes. I have had two different women in Varadero tell me that if I want to look like I know all about cigars I should buy a Cohiba.

Really??? LOL.

I've only had great service there. I've seen the way they react when they think they have a typical "tourist", who knows nothing about cigars. They tell them similar to what you've stated above. However, once they understand that you know about cigars, and that you have a true passion and knowledge, I've always found the various ladies at the LCDH's in Cuba to be more than helpful and agreeable. For what it's worth, some of those ladies have more knowledge on the cigars than many of us could even hope to attain. Maybe you weren't "convincing" enough for them?

I never said they are not helpful or pleasant. All I said is that they don't really know much more about cigars than what they have been told. Its not like they have smoked all the different marcas and vitolas to be able to give a fist-hand experience of them. Not to mention that a woman's palate is generally very different to that of a man.

LOL. Wow Shlomo.

Curious - how many times have you been in that store then, how many trips, and how much time did you spend in that store? Did you get a chance to sit down and share some cigars, coffee, and rum with them, and ask them about what they've smoked, or what they know about cigars? Do you know what their cigar experience is then, compared to yours - how many cigars, how many years, etc., etc.? Have you then compared what you've smoked (if you've then smoked all the different marcas and vitolas) to what they've personally experienced, to make you able to make a judgement call like that?

foot.gif , IMO. rolleyes.gif