Travelling to Cuba/Canuck style.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interacting with customers and sitting down and talking with someone is very different.

I know a number of women who work at the various LCDH whose palates, experiences both in the tobacco business and in the cigar business are second to none. Women who were born in the tobacco business, smoked cigars for decades, asked by Habanos SA to taste new blends etc. What always impresses me is how their passion comes out when you actually invest the time to get to know them and build a relationship

Not sure if I could say that a woman's palate is very different than a man's?

Better to be specific than to generalize..

My experience with the LCDH ladies at 63rd specifically has been nothing but positive. They knew their stuff and have had great conversations on discontinued marcas, vintage products etc. Some of the tidbits of information when you actually get past retailer/customer relationship is priceless. All it takes is time and willingness to actually have a conversation.

We did a trip to Varadero last December. Stayed at the Paradisus Varadero and as mentioned before I recommend it. They had a well stocked humidor onsite which kept be smoking most days.

I didn't make it to Havana, but did make two trips to Varadero. I think I put a post up once before on the four locations but I found the best was the La Casa Del Tobacco in Plaza Americas. Most had BHK's but LE's were a bit harder to find at that point as the 2011 has just been released.

Garrett

Re the Ladies at the 63rd

I (and so many other guys) have a great relationship with them & have always found them to be polite, knowledgeable and generous.

I've been there as part of a group where we were practically given the run of the second floor and I've also been there solo and was able to enjoy the patio with countless espressos and even better conversations.

Shlomo, I can't help but wonder why you didn't have as good an experience as so many other people...?

Wow, that got a little strange there...

One last question if anyone is still following this. After i buy some cigars, how do i keep them happy until i return?

Dont' worry about it while you are there. Cuba is a natural humidor. You can always just wrap them in Saran Wrap if you want.

Just make sure you check the boxes BEFORE you buy them. Very important!!!

Exactly! If anything, sometimes the humidity is too high in Cuba. Your cigars will be just fine. In fact, it is actually quite interesting to smoke some cigars there and then try the same ones when you return home. The flavour changes you experience as the humidity fluctuates are actually quite pronounced.

Dont' worry about it while you are there. Cuba is a natural humidor. You can always just wrap them in Saran Wrap if you want.

x2

Saran works very well. I Saran wrapped them and put them in dollar store giant ziplocs too, Then put them in your luggage like Shlomo said.

Personally I left the box I was going to smoke out in the air conditioning of the room. I hate cigars with too much humidity and I found the customs and regular production to smoke to wet. It is like dry boxing them IMHO.

You've said this a couple of times now and before I ignore it again, what should i be looking fore? I'm still a noob so my guess would be for things like mold and bugs? Ones that are too humid? How to test this, just roll it in between your fingers to see if they are mushy?

Yup. Bang on. Mold and bugs. Give the cigars a squeeze test and don't forget to look at the bottom layer if you are buying boxes of 25 cigars. You never know what gets hidden under there. LOL

One tip is to talk to the staff first. get to know them and share what you enjoy. Let them know what you are looking to buy and that you would like their help picking out boxes. Ask them also for which cigars on your list would they have that have some age on them.

Having a recent price list of the LCDH prices is also helpful. Will show them that you are serious and they will be a little nicer.

A little time speaking to them in the beginning goes a long way.

If you are a coffee drinker, look for whole bean serrano. Great stuff. If you are not a coffee drinker, pick some up and send them to me. :)

Hope you have a good trip

One other thing. Make sure to bring your passport when you are going cigar shopping. You will need to show it when making purchases. I would recommend carrying a photocopy and leaving your actual passport in the safe

Mav, Thank you very much for all the awesome info!! I believe we can bring back 50 cigar's each, I'll be bringing my wife so thats a total of 100. If I were to bring back more then that what might happen? Who checks, Cuba or Canada customs?

Cuba doesn't care so long as your paperwork (Facturas - the receipts) are in order.

Canada Customs declaration forms point blank ask you if you are over your limit. Be truthful and provided you aren't over by a ton and your return flight home lands really late (I love a 2 am return flight) chances are they won't bother with the paperwork.

As has been said, check the cigars well. My last trip I just took a quick look over everything, and didn't open one of the boxes (with the 63rd street one being just an outdoor desk now, and at the time having had the best stock of what I was looking for it was pretty hard to do a thorough inspection). When I got home and really looked them over, there was a bug hole in one cigar, and some mold in the unopened box. Not the end of the world, but not good either.

Yes Paradisus Varadero is great. I use it as the gold standard for the rest of the resorts I've been to, and none compare so far.

So you guys really do open each and every box?

if your bringing back for others do they not question about the open boxes or just accept as is?

just curios as I will be heading down end of this month or early next. Just booking up the trip.

But there will be 7 of us and only I am the cigar smoker so that means 350 cigars, which means a whole lotta checking.

will they actualy let you open all those boxes to check?

i know im new here and my first post. lol but i am on other forums and just found out about this place smile.png

so please be gentle.

thanks in advanced.

Yes, check every box. Seeing that you are buying so many boxes, I would recommend asking them for their assistance to pick them out first with you and having them inspect with you each and every box.

They are used to people inspecting them prior to buying. Split one side for boxes that you are buying and one side for boxes rejected. Make sure you let them know why you don't want the box. Point out the flaws.

Just be sure to be ready to pay if you are inspecting so many boxes though.

Hope this helps

LOL, imagine?

Inspecting 25 boxes, then walking away buying nothing! ROFL!

LOL yes, but at the same time if all the boxes you opened are bad well then..... what do you do. ok i will take, NONE oops.

but your right dont expect to show your face in that place again.

I will be going in though with papers in hand, with my top choices and prices etc so they should know right away i am serious.

does it need to be air tight wrapped?

What I would recommend is take out any sticks that you are going to smoke and then Saran Wrap the remaining cigars in the box then and there. makes it easy for transportation as well as you can stick them directly into the freezer when you get home (if you subscribe to freezing your sticks)

edited for more clarity..:)

Its possible I suppose that all the boxes are bad...just very, very, very unlikely. Don't forget your passport and the passports of the people who will be taking boxes back for you.

photo copies best bet also.