Travelling to Cuba/Canuck style.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are buying for a group, you can use your passport. Just have them do a factura for each set of 50 cigars. They did this for me when I went to Varadero with my family.

Ok i know the whole crew will not join me,. so as long as i take the passports with me or photo copies as mentioned,

But i will be putting it all on my visa, I should still ask for every 50 to pbe put on a seperate recipt?

Thanks all for the tips.

not sure. I charged everything using my passport and credit card exclusively and had them write a receipt for every 50 cigars. I then asked them to provide a bag for each set of 50 cigars so it was easy for each family member to bring them across.

If they were asked, they could say that I paid for them and they are bringing them back for me. They are within their legal limit so all was good.

Might want to double check the legality of this bro. I have been told that sticks can be confiscated if for other people on the trip as they are intended for personal use only. It could have just been a rumour though.

I haven't heard of any confiscations, I suspect that you would have the option of paying duty or confiscation should a CBSA agent decide to enforce the letter of the law. The exemption is for the personal use of the person declaring it, not for gifts for others or anything like that. But I, nor any of my travel partners have been pressed on this issue before.

Ok so your tell me i need to bring a few grand in CASH?>?>?

Rememeber 350 cigars.. lol

I thought visa and done just to make it all easier.

This will be tuff to do as I don't want to bring so much cash.

Well... chances are you will probably be able to use your visa. But it's not like being in Canada where it is essentially automatic that your Visa will work, and if it doesn't, the system will be back up within minutes our hours at the worst. I've personally never had issue with the system being down during any of my trips, but others definitely have. If you want to be sure that you can buy all the cigars you want, to the highest degree of certainly possible in cuba, bring cash. If you can accept that you might be without cigars and this is less of a concern than carrying the cash, go for the Visa.

One other thing is that although there are ATM's in Cuba, I've never had any success using them with my Canadian bank card (BMO card). They will work with cash advances on credit cards, but don't assume you will have access to your chequing/savings account. I always bring as much cash as I will need for the trip.

On the issue of telling customs that you are bringing cigars in for someone else.

I had a couple visiting from the states while I was working in TO a couple of years ago and they drove across with a hundred cigars I had shipped to them when I knew they would visit. They got a few questions thrown at them at the border and said that the cigars were for a friend and they were just bringing them across.

The sticks got confiscated.

I appealed but it got thrown out.

I always explain clearly now to anyone doing any muling for me that they say the cigars are for them.

I'm sure most of the time there would be no problem but after that experience I want to make sure.

Might want to double check the legality of this bro. I have been told that sticks can be confiscated if for other people on the trip as they are intended for personal use only. It could have just been a rumour though.

Correct on that. Personal consumption only. To give some as gifts upon your return home - that's fine in essence, as they're still being brought back by you, for you, and then past that it's your choice. But to be bringing back with the sole purpose of "muling" for someone at home, or as extra travelling-capacity for someone on the same trip, with no intentions at all for any personal consumption by the mule, is a no no.

It's all a semantics game, and it's up to the discretion of the individual customs agent. You want to be clear and concise, and not give them any reason to go hard-style on you.

Will a stack of Canadian $100's be a problem at the money exchangers. They up to speed with the plastic bills?

No issues at all. Even when we went in November, with the new 20's only being a week and a half old, they were ready for them down there, and we had no problems exchanging them.

I have always wondered what the cost is of being over coming across from Cuba? Has anyone had any experience on the cost? Border agents cant determine if the cigars are real or fake and actual cost. Whats the deal?

JD

Yes, border agents can. You have to declare the cigars as part of your $800 duty free exemption, so it would be wise to put true value.

I am not 100% sure, but I remember reading or hearing that tax on tobacco products is %250, plus and extra penalty. Not worth it.

Yeah, it's about 220% to 260%, depending on what math formula is being used.

However, it's not all that bad, if all you're doing is bringing bundles and bundles (and bundles and bundles) of cellophane-wrapped "beach customs peso-cigars" (which may or may not be said peso-cigars). :innocent:

Sure....go ahead and charge me the taxes, on $1 peso cigars. Senor. :D