Travelling to Cuba/Canuck style.

So at 200& plus tax for overage, its only charged on the overage and, how do they determain which BOX or BOXES to charge you on? the higher amount the lower etc?

I mean, if you bring over $200 worth and pay $400-600 in the taxes, and in total lets say you brought 80 cigars.

thats an extra $5 a cigar, still a hell of alot cheaper then up here.

Just my opinion.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So at 200& plus tax for overage, its only charged on the overage and, how do they determain which BOX or BOXES to charge you on? the higher amount the lower etc?

I mean, if you bring over $200 worth and pay $400-600 in the taxes, and in total lets say you brought 80 cigars.

thats an extra $5 a cigar, still a hell of alot cheaper then up here.

Just my opinion.

Yes, generally, it's still almost always the better deal, even if you pay taxes. That's why many people bring back many more cigars versus what the duty-free alotment is. There's nothing wrong or ILLEGAL about that! Too many people get confused by the rules. You're allowed to bring in more than the 50 cigars - you're just gonna have to potentially pay taxes on that. As long as you're not getting into "import permit" territory (bringing in something like 10 times the duty-free limit), then you just potentially pay relatively mild taxes, when you consider our domestic prices.

The secret....shhhhh....is to know the rules, play by them, and not be afraid to point out the way that things should be done, while also not being a prick.

You're allowed 50 cigars, duty free. Your first 50. So, just make sure that the most expensive ones that you buy are the first 50, within the first few days. Then, if you want to buy extras, buy them on later days. That way, if customs back here wants you to pay duties, ensure to show them on your fracturas which cigars were bought on which days. That the more expensive ones were bought on the earlier dates, and those are the ones that should be duty free, and taxes, if any, are to be charged on the latter purchased ones, which actually made you go over. It's not like a BOGO sale at a shoe store - it's not full price for the most expensive item, and then 1/2 off the cheaper item. It's taxes on whatever put you over the 50 cigar limit. And, if the customs agent you have is not jivving with that, then kindly request a supervisor to discuss it with, and so on if needed.

Also, declare everything. Put it out there. It's the customs agent's choice on what you get taxed on, if any. But don't lie about anything, as that will definitely put you in hot water. Tell the truth and declare everything....for questions asked. Some agents may not even ask you about your cigar count.

Overall, be fully prepared and expecting to pay taxes on everything, and don't try to "smuggle" anything. If, perhaps, you get a kind customs guard who doesn't even ask you about your cigar haul, or doesn't feel like making you pay on your overage, giving you a "free pass" so to speak, then it's a win-win. Expect to pay taxes....but anything let through tax free is a huge bonus.

Exactly, I am always up front with them. I disclose everything because again worst case they hit me with the tax, better then losing it all because of a "little" lie.

I rememeber one time coming back on a trip, I had to put some boxes in my luggage as my carry on was way to heavy, I could of lied and said I only had that amount but I told the agent. I have X on me and X in my bag for a total of Y. And that I was over my limit.

Ok, welcome back, Bye.

But Thanks for the tips on the purchase route that's helpful.

Also a big thank you from me about clearing up about importing cigars. I never thought of it like that. I guess I had the mentality of 50 each and that's it. I'm trying to build a list of stuff i want to pick up while I'm down there and kinda hard to limit it to just 50.

Also rememebr though that the two limits go hand in hand, 50 cigars and up to $800 for more than 48 hours out of country.

so at the same time if your stogies cost over $800 and you have 50 or less you could be hit with the tax.

But going over the limit, now thats where it makes it tough.

you can bring 50 without an issue but what if your value over 50 doesn't exceed the $800 mark?

things that make you go hrmmm!!>??

Well I leave 6am tomorrow so guess I will find out upon my return.

• 2 weeks later...

So just to give a small review on my trip through customs.

I had 65 cigars and spent $840, I wrote on the paper exactly that, I told them I was over and so on.

The customs guy asked me the usualy where did you go, how long etc.

Then he goes, you really spent all that on CIGARS??!!!??!?!?!?! I told him yes, I collect only limited editions etc, i'm like a wine collector. Blah blah.

He stamped me R71 for the all clear and said take care.

So all was good on my end.

My girlfriend/mule on the other hand, she met a real Bee-with-an-itch, she had 56 cigars and spent only $520 well under the limit and only 6 cigars over.

She red flagged her R72 and circled the overages, she asked her who did you travel with, my GF said with my BF.

Then as we waited for the bags, I told my GF dont worry, what ever they charge if any we pay, still cheaper then if buying in Canada and would only be on 6 cigars, the agent was just being a B-with-an-itch, then as we started to stroll out it seemed like thousands of us going through the gate at once, I passed my card, my GF passed hers, the last check lady looked at it and then said ok go ahead.

I really think the first gal had nothing better to do and thought that I was probable over and was going to get flagged so as we walked out together they would of stopped us, but my guy was cool.

So in the end I still stay with my motto, just be honest tell them what you got, and sweat it out. LOL

trerv:

Thanks for the info. I fear both me and the wife will be over but will claim it all. We have always been over with the booze on all our trips and never had a problem yet....

No need to worry... every customs agent is different and why worry? I know a guy from Vancouver who goes to Cuba every year. I asked him the most he ever brought back and he said about 450 cigars and 13 bottles of booze in one trip. He claims everything. The customs agent was shocked and asked him if that was a typo. He said no it's accurate and that he has a lot of friends/family that he was bringing gifts back for. She was super nice but said I'm sorry with that much over the limit, I need to tax you and he said no problem I understand and got a ticket to give to the next customs agent. He brought it to the next agent to pay and was asked for $26. He didn't realize how much he was being taxed and was shocked himself at how little she charged him. As he was walking out he looked back at the original agent and she gave him a smile.

So how does everyone get from Havana or Varadero and Vinales without renting? Viazul bus? I am thinking taxi's might be pretty expensive for that stretch.... Also, any recommended casas in Pinar Del Rio/Vinales?

• 2 weeks later...

So how does everyone get from Havana or Varadero and Vinales without renting? Viazul bus? I am thinking taxi's might be pretty expensive for that stretch.... Also, any recommended casas in Pinar Del Rio/Vinales?

I travel by myself so I usually take Viazul, or if I'm lucky I can find others to share a cab.

as for Casa:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g616288-d1879631-Reviews-Casa_Papo_y_Niulvys-Vinales_Pinar_del_Rio_Province_Cuba.html

I stayed with Niulvys, on another trip my parents stayed at Niulvys's parents casa, both highly recommended. Great hospitality, great food. Bonus is that Papo knows Hiroshi Robaina and he can offer to take you to the Robaina farm (for a fee of course).

• 1 month later...

When I was there a few weeks back the LCDH at 63rd was still under renovations (painting the outside the day I was there). They had a table outside with two ladies and you had to ask them and they would then go back in the store and search. Not the best shopping experience!

Sorry for digging up an old thread but anyone been down there recently? Is this LCDH still "under construction"? I'm off to Cuba in a couple weeks and just trying to get all my plans together before I go.

I do have my list, but it keeps growing. For the guys who use cash at the LCDH do you exchange it at the airport and carry around possibly $1000+ or exchange it later at a money place in town before you buy?

I suggest using one of the banks in Varadero (calle 31 & 36 as I remember) or the one at Plaza Americas, depending where you wanna do your cigar shopping. This way you get the best exchange rate and you can use your Visa so you don't have to fly in with a lot of cash.

Expect to stay in line for about 1 hour though.

are they nice enough to give large bills or will i walk out with wad of cash of 5 and 10's?

LOL. Usually, but that's at any Cadeca that you run that risk. Just ask for 20's and 50's. You might even get lucky, and find a Cadeca that has / will do 100's, if you're exchanging enough money.

• 2 weeks later...

In fact you can do both! relaxing and travelling to Cuba. We went there 2 years ago and went to Havana, Vinales, Trinidad, and spend like 3 days in a all inclusive in Varadero. We did all our travel by bus and everything went well. Vinales is near Pinar del rio and is really a must you can do some horse riding and stop in some cigar maker houses. Trinidad is also awesome. In fact I never went to an all inclusive on the beach before that trip and was really looking forward too at that time but that was the part I enjoyed the least. Food is usually not that great and the free drinks too. We eat much better food in the Casa particular we went to. I can even give you some place to sleep if you want!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm back from Cuba. Thanks for all the advise about getting cigars in Varadero. I stopped in at the Calle 63 store and got four boxes. I opened them on the advise from members here, good thing two of them has some mold. The ladies there tried to tell me it is perfectly normal and used the little brush to remove it. I called their BS and told them I was not going to take those and wanted couple new boxes. They let me into the humidor and was able to pick new boxes. So I rummaged though the boxes and found the newest ones. Opened those and no mold. I also did notice a hygrometer in the humidor which read 95% humidity.

Thank you guys again from saving me from getting some duds.

H.UPMANN - MAGNUM 46

H.UPMANN SIR WINSTON

PARTAGAS 8-9-8 VARNISHED

COHIBA SIGLO II

The Sir Winston's are in a varnished box that looks absolutely amazing. Once they are done getting through bug control I'll post some pics.

Some of these are not my first pics, glad i took a list of about 12 that I would love to get. Still kinda bummed I was not able to get some series D no.4's.