Article: The Case Against a Smoke-Free America (interesting)

Very interesting article Frank. Thank you for sharing..this paragraph is something I'm sure we all agree on :

"I know that my own life has been improved by friendships deepened over sessions with cigars, and the match of a good cigar with an equally good rum or whiskey is as compelling as any wine and food pairing I've encountered."

Thanks Riaz. It really is a well written, thought provoking piece. This bit here stood out for me.

"The argument for tobacco taxes appears solid at first glance: Smokers impose health costs on the government, so it's fair to make them pay for it. However the fiscal argument is not as clear as it seems. To put it bluntly, heavy smokers pay a lot of taxes and then die early. That's nothing to cheer, but it does reduce governments' health and retirement costs. Numerous studies, including a commentary from the Congressional Budget Office published last month in the New England Journal of Medicine, confirm that in the long-run smokers are generally self-financing."

It kind of takes the wind out of the sails for the argument that "smoking" increases health care costs for everyone. If anything, they put more money into the system and do not get to benefit from it as much. I've downloaded the linked article for more info.

That was awesome! I mean the article was decent...but the back and forth on the comments section was epic!!!

The anti-smoking thing is just an effect of the health religion...and a poor and inconsistent one. If they were interested in limiting health risks then they would attempt to ban private ownership of automobiles before firearms. I have a higher percentage chance of being killed as a pedestrian being struck by an automobile than being killed and struck down by an accidental discharge. Heck, on average, 3x as many people are killed in auto accidents in any year over the total number of homicides (of which homicides by firearms are only a part of the sum).

I can sit in my garage and smoke my cigar for over an hour with no immediate health problems...I sit in the garage with the truck running and I'm dead in the same hour. Car exhaust is far more harmful to bystanders than "second-hand smoke." And yet when the anti-smoking proponent happily drives his car he doesn't feel his voluntary behavior is damaging my health...and when he is fortunate enough to smell the aroma of my fine hand-rolled cigar he acts as if I am slashing his throat! And if he honestly believes that he cannot survive a whisp of tobacco smoke...he honestly needs to start watching as many John Wayne movies as humanely possible!

Hope everyone on this most cherished of forums has a wonderful 2013!