And here I thought Christmas was over. Treats still getting delivered!

I was pleasantly surprised to find these awaiting me when I walked through the door this evening. Both boxes are SOE MAR 12. Anyone tried this code yet? Might have to try one tonight even though I'd normally let them relax a bit in the humidor. They look too good the not try. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

ahume2yr.jpg

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Nice :) yet to have a great or even nice 898 as yet. Still have fingers crossed though lol :) I do have a 10 box in my OLH which I have been told will pay dividends in 5 years.

Time will tell :)

I smoked one last night because I couldn't resist. It was pretty so-so. A bit on the flat side. But I'm sure that's because I didn't let them properly rest in the humi after their travels before lighting one up. I'll try another in a week or two to give them a better shot.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

• 3 weeks later...

Smoking one of these 898s right now and I have to say it's rather amazing. I'm not an expert cigar smoker, so I can't talk to all the nuances, but I'm getting a flavor and aroma that reminds me a lot of a pumpkin pie baking. I swear I can taste the nutmeg and cinnamon and the aroma of the crust baking. Is that a normal flavor profile for an 898 or do I just have some sort of special taste buds and olfactory senses?

Glad I let these rest for a couple of weeks before passing judgement. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

898s and the Partagas blends at their best certainly have a complex spice component. I don't associate pumpkin pie but I truly believe that specific memory triggers are personal and cannot and should not translate across all smokers. I prefer sweet potato pie for example.....

Smoking one of these 898s right now and I have to say it's rather amazing. I'm not an expert cigar smoker, so I can't talk to all the nuances, but I'm getting a flavor and aroma that reminds me a lot of a pumpkin pie baking. I swear I can taste the nutmeg and cinnamon and the aroma of the crust baking. Is that a normal flavor profile for an 898 or do I just have some sort of special taste buds and olfactory senses?

Glad I let these rest for a couple of weeks before passing judgement. smile.png

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Nicely done! Have no experience with this vitola, but certainly need to expand my skinny horizons. Do you have a plan for rotating them into your mix or like me, pick a stick up that seems to fit the moment? Cheers!

Nicely done! Have no experience with this vitola, but certainly need to expand my skinny horizons. Do you have a plan for rotating them into your mix or like me, pick a stick up that seems to fit the moment? Cheers!

I don't actually have a specific smoking rotation. Like you I only smoke whatever feels right at the time. I do like these 898s, though, and I do have two boxes now, so I suspect I'll be smoking them fairly frequently. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

898s and the Partagas blends at their best certainly have a complex spice component. I don't associate pumpkin pie but I truly believe that specific memory triggers are personal and cannot and should not translate across all smokers. I prefer sweet potato pie for example.....

I was describing the flavors I was getting to my wifey. She brought me a jar of allspice from the pantry and asked me if it seemed similar. It did. Very much so. I've got Shorts, Lusis, and PSP2 in the humi, but these 898s have more of the allspice flavor than the others (per my taste anyhow). The Lusis have always been my favorite Partagas, but if these 898s keep going down this path I think I just found my new favorite. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Greg,

I got a box in a couple of weeks ago. I am going to light up my first 898 for two years in a couple of weeks. The last 898 I smoked was a 2004 stick and I got EXACLTY what you described. It was a bomb of wonderful exotic spices that reminded me of my Mom's kitchen during Christmas. Add to that a velvety cream and it was nearly a perfect cigar. Congrats on a good buy. My box code is BUL APR 12