What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

Half acre another Chicago brewery. I love local. “ Double daisy cutter”.  Recent release and only annually released. Good but waaaaaay more hop forward and bitter than what i have been drinking of late. Hoppy, piney and malty. More tasting of an original west coast ipa but on steroids. I just got a single b/c I love the haze and I know this isn’t that type party  

???.9 out of ?????

06628471-2671-4247-BA9A-DB6297D6FEE3.thumb.jpeg.90b866cbc453cf4bdc03782e626c287e.jpeg

• Like 4

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

12 hours ago, irratebass said:

Sorry man, just seen this.

It tasted like Apples to me......he asked me to try it and tell him what I smelled and tasted....I said Apples, he said....no....I frowned and took a sip then it hit me.....peanut butter with nuts....so think of a Payday candy bar......it was a different taste to me, but damn good! Was very smooth, but to answer your question, yes it was sweet. 

interesting. unless they were barrels housing pedro ximenez, there is not sensible reason that sherry barrels would give any sweetness (even if PX, it would be minimal). that is not to say that it is not giving you that impression (my sister won't touch the driest riesling as she is convinced they are sweet). i can't understand that there would be any actual sweetness, just the impression. if anyone has more science on this, love to hear it. 

56 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

interesting. unless they were barrels housing pedro ximenez, there is not sensible reason that sherry barrels would give any sweetness (even if PX, it would be minimal). that is not to say that it is not giving you that impression (my sister won't touch the driest riesling as she is convinced they are sweet). i can't understand that there would be any actual sweetness, just the impression. if anyone has more science on this, love to hear it. 

No science, it could be as you say. PX have becoming the more widespread butts to use. However, Oloroso even seems sweeter and richer than bourbon barrel finish to me (taste of christmas time)... I've only had one fino cask finish, and didnt detect anything, but it was also peated.

11 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

No science, it could be as you say. PX have becoming the more widespread butts to use. However, Oloroso even seems sweeter and richer than bourbon barrel finish to me (taste of christmas time)... I've only had one fino cask finish, and didnt detect anything, but it was also peated.

the richness i could understand and perhaps that is what is imparting the impression/illusion of sweetness. that is not to suggest it isn't there - i just can't see how. i'm sure scientists among us could explain this and given we all have different tastes and levels of tastebuds, perhaps it is just me. 

of course, if the different barrels didn't throw up these impressions and flavours then there would be little point in the makers doing it. 

Going deeper into the cellar. Man this still is tight with initial acidity and tannins unexpected for 2003 which was an extremely hot year in Bordeaux. Saving a glass for tomorrow or @Ken Gargett, whichever shows up first. Still a fine Cos D’Estournel. Cheers

AC8FCC44-A0DF-421F-B944-F69D26DC49F6.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CampDelta369 said:

Going deeper into the cellar. Man this still is tight with initial acidity and tannins unexpected for 2003 which was an extremely hot year in Bordeaux. Saving a glass for tomorrow or @Ken Gargett, whichever shows up first. Still a fine Cos D’Estournel. Cheers

AC8FCC44-A0DF-421F-B944-F69D26DC49F6.jpeg

sadly the commute is such that tomorrow will beat me but many thanks for the thought.

Cos is a fave Bord for me but 2003 has not been a fave vintage for me, though i have come around a bit on it. for me, it is the ideal Bordeaux vintage for anyone who prefers Barossa shiraz (even if they don't admit it publicly). but it is holding up far better than i thought it might. i can't get on board with some of the rave reviews it gets but there are plenty of fine wines emerging, even if not typical Bordeaux (with climate change, it might well soon be typical). and i have to admit that many of the wines are more enjoyable than some of the leaner (more typical?) years. i would imagine this will be drinking beautifully at the moment. please enjoy my glass! and thanks again. perhaps one day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lovethehaze said:

Haze out !  Rev/hop butcher colabs 

20435594-46D9-4679-950A-F964680A57FD.thumb.jpeg.c12dcff6ecdf1981e8cad034473a3902.jpeg

Man I was a hard core India Pale Ale guy some years ago and got burnt out on them. Your posts might be pulling me back in!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

not tried that specific wine but what i have seen from usseglio has been excellent. and a cracking vintage.

Popular brand in my locale.  That looks to be the base CdP from the House.  Either that or the label looks different than what I associate with Usseglio.

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Popular brand in my locale.  That looks to be the base CdP from the House.  Either that or the label looks different than what I associate with Usseglio.

we see a little bit here, not too much. a mate brings it in. agree, the basic CdP label, not the Grand Reserve or whatever they call it. still a good wine. not cheap out here. 

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

we see a little bit here, not too much. a mate brings it in. agree, the basic CdP label, not the Grand Reserve or whatever they call it. still a good wine. not cheap out here. 

Locally we can get the current vintage of the basic CdP for around $30-35, same with Vieux Telegraph.  A touch more for Donjon.

• Like 1

not tried that specific wine but what i have seen from usseglio has been excellent. and a cracking vintage. 
how did it drink? 

I liked it..pretty fresh with heavy notes of dark fruit with minerals and some spice. Very good to drink now, but I’m going to grab a couple to put away for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1