What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Got around to packing up my liquor today. I needed 13 large liquor boxes to hold it all...

I have 5 bottles of Elijah Craig barrel proof. B518 x2, C917, C918, and A119

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:53 AM, FatherOfPugs said:

Opened up my new acquisition last night. Pretty solid 100 proof Kentucky Straight, glorious color on this.

20190214_200434.thumb.jpg.31c237df7872b8406b0d7e992046e5f7.jpg

Great bang for your buck. At a slightly higher price point I really like their 1897 as well. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 8:16 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Went to a cigar and whiskey tasting last night and we had some good whiskies.  I am not too into Scotch or Bourbon, but was said these are good ones.  The cigars were all Davidoff's and were really fantastic.  Great change of pace for me and would recommend any that were presented.  Was small event with about 10-12 people.  I could've taken home some of the bottles, but don't really drink Scotch at home.  Was casual event that went on for hours.

Anyone familiar with this bottle of Willett?  

weston shooters club.JPG

weston shooters club 2.JPG

I had a bottle of the 12 year and it was the best barrel proof bourbon I've ever had. Savored it for a while and shared some with a few friends that really appreciate bourbon. I miss that bottle. 

Screenshot_20190317-135922_Photos.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, inter4alia said:

Great bang for your buck. At a slightly higher price point I really like their 1897 as well. 

Great choice! If you like them at a higher proof, the 1920 Prohibition style hits the spot. Being a regular production, I think it is A great option if you cannot find EC BP

On 3/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, FatherOfPugs said:

Last night's boubon, this stuff is soooo good.

20190318_195147.thumb.jpg.ac91fb5c91b41bffa7a9f0ff1531b469.jpg

I'll have to keep my eye out.  I'm usually awash in good Kentucky bourbon, so end up paying little attention to those made elsewhere (plus, was severely underwhelmed by the High West offerings).  Is there a Kentucky bourbon you could compare this to?

Vieux Pontarlier absinthe for me, today.  While I don't prefer it to my current favorites, the Delaware Phoenix offerings as well as the mind-bogglingly discontinued Marteau, this is a nice, accessible French style.  Would be excellent for someone new to absinthe in getting their feet wet.

IMG_20190323_141021005_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/26/2019 at 12:07 AM, In-A-Gadda-Davidoff said:

OGD114.thumb.jpg.956c47d4e926010cdbd3371f7e3326f5.jpg

OGD 114

Call me a simpleton.  I love this stuff.  Best value on the shelf.  Loads of caramel,cinnamon spice on the nose. Rye, spice and oak on the palate with a nice warm oaky finish.  May not be as complex or nuanced as some bottles twice its cost, but I've had plenty of bottles twice the cost that have delivered far less.

I can only assume you've run through OGD Bonded?  It's a bit thinner, but I like it even more than the 114.  It could have been the batch, but we did a blinder of the Bonded vs Basil Hayden and half of us were stumped as to what was what.

3 hours ago, earthson said:

I can only assume you've run through OGD Bonded?  It's a bit thinner, but I like it even more than the 114.  It could have been the batch, but we did a blinder of the Bonded vs Basil Hayden and half of us were stumped as to what was what.

I have, and I agree about the comparison to Basil Hayden.  The mashbill is the same.  Hayden at 80 proof is too watered down for me even if it has been aged longer than OGD bonded.  The bonded is everything that Hayden should be at half the price.  OGD 114 is definitely more in your face than subtle.  The cinnamon spice that I love from the 114 is much more muted in the bonded, and that is why I prefer the 114.  It has that aggressive richness of flavor that I love in a bourbon.  The current price point of $30 is almost too good to be true in the current bourbon marketplace. 

8 hours ago, In-A-Gadda-Davidoff said:

I have, and I agree about the comparison to Basil Hayden.  The mashbill is the same.  Hayden at 80 proof is too watered down for me even if it has been aged longer than OGD bonded.  The bonded is everything that Hayden should be at half the price.  OGD 114 is definitely more in your face than subtle.  The cinnamon spice that I love from the 114 is much more muted in the bonded, and that is why I prefer the 114.  It has that aggressive richness of flavor that I love in a bourbon.  The current price point of $30 is almost too good to be true in the current bourbon marketplace. 

Agreed on the pricing - I'm amazed at how many bourbon hounds pass on OGD while they hunt hard for the flavor of the week.  People can keep their Wellers and EH Taylors and Elmer T Lee (although I miss that last one dearly!).  I feel like a king with my stable of Eagle Rare, 4 Roses and OGD.  Na Zdrowie!

3 hours ago, earthson said:

Agreed on the pricing - I'm amazed at how many bourbon hounds pass on OGD while they hunt hard for the flavor of the week.  People can keep their Wellers and EH Taylors and Elmer T Lee (although I miss that last one dearly!).  I feel like a king with my stable of Eagle Rare, 4 Roses and OGD.  Na Zdrowie!

Elmer T. is the one lone bourbon I really miss in all this craze.  It really was undervalued but now the prices of secondary are ridiculous.  My go to bourbons that are readily available in addition to OGD 114 are 4Roses single barrel, Knob Creek single barrel, Elijah Craig and Old Forester 1920.  Blanton's and Eagle Rare would definitely be in the rotation, but sadly they both have become fairly difficult to obtain in my neck of the woods. 

18 hours ago, In-A-Gadda-Davidoff said:

Elmer T. is the one lone bourbon I really miss in all this craze.  It really was undervalued but now the prices of secondary are ridiculous.  My go to bourbons that are readily available in addition to OGD 114 are 4Roses single barrel, Knob Creek single barrel, Elijah Craig and Old Forester 1920.  Blanton's and Eagle Rare would definitely be in the rotation, but sadly they both have become fairly difficult to obtain in my neck of the woods. 

I do miss Elmer.  That and the Weller 12 disappearing are when I had my first inkling something was amiss.  When I saw Blanton's disappear from the shelves as a regularly available tipple, that is when I threw my hands up and started drinking more vodka and rhum.  It is hard to beat Barbancourt 8 yr as a cigar accompaniment.

Chateau Branaire Ducru 2015

Starting to open up in the glass after 30 minutes. I’m picking up yeasty mash, cheese, and a heady red wine perfume similar to Margaux, bitter finish, brought to mind pink. Later, roses and cereal, skunk, thought of purple, twisted gnarls/burl of vine trunk. Minutes later chlorine, blackberry, strawberry on the long finish, again rose nose, pancakes maple syrup, raspberries, dry autumn leaves, banana, caramel.  Minutes later, lush pink rose on the nose, effervescent apple juice, chocolate. Oak. Violets, thyme and chicken, grape stems, coffee, blueberry.

DC9211B9-855A-4534-9831-3C52AF6571B4.jpeg

• Like 1

I've been working on this bottle for a while and it looks like it will be put to rest tonight. It was a gift and I'm grateful that the gifter went out on a limb to find something unique when it would have been much easier to grab a great bottle of regular production whiskey for the same or lower price that he knew I liked.

That said, this bottle just isn't to my taste. The port barrel is strong and forward, masking much of the Rye character and adding too much sweetness for me. Being a bourbon/rye purist I figured this would be the case and it proved true. Still happy to have had the opportunity to drink it. 

Bottoms up! 

20190405_202526.jpg

• Like 3

Started off with an 80 proof bourbon from the early 80s then went to Russells reserve 110 proof, then old Forrester 1920 115 proof and now Ardbeg 10 year. Having a BCE from 2008.

5A04B2AD-36D8-451A-B35E-36D0CB440927.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Scotch Sunday today, finished my Glenmorangie La Santa. 

I'm enjoying scotch Sunday / Monday morning as well while I finish some work before a half day tomorrow. I'll be drinking Old Style in the Wrigley Bleachers by 1pm. 

Although mine's nowhere near as good ?

image.thumb.png.a6adca01bdd37ce12b63fbe17e303814.png

• Like 3