What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

2 hours ago, CampDelta369 said:

Agreed Ken, it’s a waste. The first synthetic corks I saw was a trip to Queensland in ‘96? Then all those screwtops! Forward thinking imo. I had a lot of Two Hands back then. I couldn’t afford the top OZ wines at the time but the Shiraz was monster I liked.

its always bothered me, in particular those crappy corks on the Italian wines. I’m always checking my aging bottles of Brunello and Barolo for bleed through. I’ve had good luck with so far with the corking beast. Damn if i I drank all my ‘97s. That year had legs. Cheers

those synthetics were horrendous at the time (i'm still no fan) but we have seen the comparison between corks and screwcaps so many times to have completely removed doubt. any winery not using them does so for marketing reasons - which will hopefully change though in some countries, it will be a very hard slog. 

there was a batch of wines put under screwcap in the late 70s. when one compares those to wines under cork from the same era, the difference is so massive that it is impossible to defend corks. 

of course, even if the world swapped today, there are still many many bottles in all our cellars still under cork with all the potential problems to come. 

fully agree re 97. cracking year. i pulled out a 1997 Pertimali recently - that Brunello lunch - and it was up against another Pertimali, their Riserva 2010. and yet the 97 showed much more colour - amazing purples - and more. the 10, a higher ranked wine as Riserva, was good but the 97 was spectacular. 

• Like 1

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

33 minutes ago, alloy said:

Little bit of MM and Diet Coke. However, just picked up this nice bottle of Willett.

IMG_0386.JPG

You close to maryland? Willet is hard to find. What year is that?

1 hour ago, RicoIsHere said:

You close to maryland? Willet is hard to find. What year is that?

Used to live in the republikofmerryland. Now live in the Great state of Texas. Batch #1gA5 whatever that means.

1 hour ago, FatherOfPugs said:

It's Monday, so why not? YOLO. As much as I hate that, now that my son is growing so fast before my eyes, I really am living more and more for the present and enjoying each moment. So, some EH Taylor this evening. Drink it if you got it! Why keep it on the shelf?

IMG_20190715_212822_177.thumb.jpg.a92bbc93d9f14633848f0d6b0f4906fd.jpg

Exactly! Enjoy it while you're able to. EH Taylor is pretty good, cant go wrong

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

It's Monday, so why not? YOLO. As much as I hate that, now that my son is growing so fast before my eyes, I really am living more and more for the present and enjoying each moment. So, some EH Taylor this evening. Drink it if you got it! Why keep it on the shelf?

IMG_20190715_212822_177.thumb.jpg.a92bbc93d9f14633848f0d6b0f4906fd.jpg

Ha, also not a fan of "YOLO"... but us new dads are in for a world of hurt. Just try to predict the ridiculous slang15 years from now...

My son is only a year ahead of yours, so I will be doing the eye rolling with you in the future...

Best thing we have done with our lives is right now and the years to come in supporting and encouraging our sons to do well/right. Nothing could possibly compare. God Bless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:13 PM, FatherOfPugs said:

#TexasTuesday so some Balcones bourbon this evening.

20190716_200513.thumb.jpg.d01a7e15d9330cdab303b0b7bdfbe5b9.jpg

I just noticed these get distributed here, and couldn't decide. Almost went for the single malt, but was a bit pricey. How is this one?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

The Blue Corn Bourbon is delicious! My second favorite from them. Always have a bottle on hand. Only released once per year too. 

The color on that BCB is ridiculous. What barrels did they finish in?