What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

On 9/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, LLC said:

Not a big Port aficionado but opened this up today. Currently enjoying it with a Cohiba Siglo IV.
ee2319d3e9aa9a67603b7e9a8c52473d.jpg

That should be a good one.  I have '94 Ferreira LBV that is still young.  Ferreira may be some of the longest live ports.  Never a brute, but can somehow just keep going and going. 

Their tawny's are among my favorites.

That should be a good one.  I have '94 Ferreira LBV that is still young.  Ferreira may be some of the longest live ports.  Never a brute, but can somehow just keep going and going. 

Good to know. Thanks. I have a few bottles of this one.

12 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

agree. ferriera ages amazingly well. did a tasting in oporto a few years back, which was their VPs back to the 1840s. extraordinary. also from the 1890s, the 1917, the 1945 and so on. 

afterwards, was talking to one of rhe older local winemakers. he had heard we were doing this and was curious. he told me he was down to his last three bottles of 1847. turns out his grandmother (great-grandmother?) had actually made them. 

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

afterwards, was talking to one of rhe older local winemakers. he had heard we were doing this and was curious. he told me he was down to his last three bottles of 1847. turns out his grandmother (great-grandmother?) had actually made them. 

Donatella Ferreira was one of the biggest land owners and real power players back in the day in Portugal.

10 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Donatella Ferreira was one of the biggest land owners and real power players back in the day in Portugal.

amazing woman.

BC, there is a great story, which i am sure you have probably heard, about how she was travelling down the douro in one of those fabulous rabelo boats (my last trip to oporto, i got an invite to be in one for the annual race but my flights were locked in and i could not stay the extra few days sadly - always wanted a go in one).

it was a dangerous journey back then. apparently the boat flipped in rapids and almost everyone on board drowned. dona ferreira and a couple of the other women on board survived because they were wearing those voluminous dresses of the era that kept them afloat. and upright. the sight of 2-3 women in colourful huge dresses floating down the douro must have been something. 

• Thanks 1

Really nice stuff b47421e3b68a47176e4d5df2de9abbeb.jpg

That wine brings back good memories. Years ago I had some of the 1989 and it was fabulous.

• Like 3

Pretty hectic week! I haven't been able to relax, a break away to smoke a stogie in two weeks. Well I'm ending this week with Knob Creek 2001 Limited. This might call for a Luisitania. a32426b8a57d356a7f6db5b741af9148.jpg

• Like 3

73618f0cadfa50079a7f96d39f5a3ab9.jpg
A smile of fortune from a schramms mead I’ve been putting off opening for a few weeks since getting for whatever reason. Now that I’m having the first few sips I’m very glad I got it (even tho it was a very expensive ~$50 for the 375ml bottle). Nice subtle berry hints and phenomenal all around taste

• Like 3