What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

2 hours ago, The Squiggler said:

I bought a bottle of the '77 for my dad a while back and found it to be a bit on the meek side compared to some of the other vintages from that era, most specifically the '81, which was especially fantastic.  The '77 I bought was a 375ml bottle, and it's the only example of that particular vintage I've tried.  I can't imagine the size of the bottle would have much of an effect on the aging process though (the cork seemed fine). 

you sure it was 81? i don't think i have ever seen an 81 declared by any house. 80? 85? love 85s. there are a few 82s and 83s around. 

77s are considered a bit more elegant than a lot of vintages so i can understand your thoughts. 

bottle size is actually considered to have a significant impact on ageing. theoretically, the larger bottle the slower the maturation. but, and i have never understood this, i have spoken to a number of leading port producers who believe it works the other way. smaller bottles take longer. one i spoke to insisted that the smaller bottles never caught up while another thought parity after about 50 years. that said, we were discussing bottle v magnum (not halves) but i can't imagine they felt different about halves. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

35 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

you sure it was 81? i don't think i have ever seen an 81 declared by any house. 80? 85? love 85s. there are a few 82s and 83s around. 

77s are considered a bit more elegant than a lot of vintages so i can understand your thoughts. 

bottle size is actually considered to have a significant impact on ageing. theoretically, the larger bottle the slower the maturation. but, and i have never understood this, i have spoken to a number of leading port producers who believe it works the other way. smaller bottles take longer. one i spoke to insisted that the smaller bottles never caught up while another thought parity after about 50 years. that said, we were discussing bottle v magnum (not halves) but i can't imagine they felt different about halves. 

I was digging around and spotted a Dow's LBV from '81, but that wasn't the one, so I had to text my dad and ask... he said it was the 1980 that was so good, but he used to pick up discounted bottles of vintage port and Bordeaux from Trader Joe's in California before they stopped carrying most of the high-end brands (they also carried Dom P at the time for around $25), so he had a lot of decent vintage stuff floating around.  That 1980 Dow's was a good find... unearthed after being lost in the wine 'cellar' (closet under the basement stairs) for 30 years. 

3 minutes ago, The Squiggler said:

I was digging around and spotted a Dow's LBV from '81, but that wasn't the one, so I had to text my dad and ask... he said it was the 1980 that was so good, but he used to pick up discounted bottles of vintage port and Bordeaux from Trader Joe's in California before they stopped carrying high-end brands (they also carried Dom P at the time), so he had a lot of decent vintage stuff floating around.  That 1980 Dow's was a good find... unearthed after being lost in the wine 'cellar' (closet under the basement stairs) for 30 years. 

80 Dows makes much more sense.

and you are right - there could/would have been LBVs from vintages like 81. i was thinking solely of the VPs though. 

On 12/7/2019 at 6:14 PM, Ken Gargett said:

80 Dows makes much more sense.

and you are right - there could/would have been LBVs from vintages like 81. i was thinking solely of the VPs though. 

Dow LBV's that old are very rare at minimum.  81 Crusted may be more likely.

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Dow LBV's that old are very rare at minimum.  81 Crusted may be more likely.

image.thumb.png.50bddcd9d9b2157aa7a3639904956fd5.png

this LBV is the only '81 Dow I was able to find... the one we found in the back of the wine stash under the stairs turned out to be a 1980 VP. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i meant more sense than being an 81 VP. 

long time since i have seen a 66 grahams. drink well? assume the 85 grahams would have been wonderful?

'66 is going strong; better than the '85.  That one was later on in the night so it was a pop and pour, but I have a bunch of them.  '85 Grahams is still wonderful.  Big and sweet.  The three of us rated the Ferreira '85 equal or better to the '85 Graham!  That is some elegant beautiful vintage.   Amazing how that Ferreira tastes just like their tawnies (more than other brands do).  '94 Cockburn was solid.  Smoky taste if I recall.  I was drinking more of the Champagne at that point of the night.  I have 5 more mags of the Cockburn.

4 hours ago, The Squiggler said:

image.thumb.png.50bddcd9d9b2157aa7a3639904956fd5.png

this LBV is the only '81 Dow I was able to find... the one we found in the back of the wine stash under the stairs turned out to be a 1980 VP. 

Would be interesting to try.  We had an '05 Dow LBV that weekend (forget to get picture) and it was great.  Some producers were heavy on filtering LBV's back then.  Not sure if the Dow was one or not.

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

'66 is going strong; better than the '85.  That one was later on in the night so it was a pop and pour, but I have a bunch of them.  '85 Grahams is still wonderful.  Big and sweet.  The three of us rated the Ferreira '85 equal or better to the '85 Graham!  That is some elegant beautiful vintage.   Amazing how that Ferreira tastes just like their tawnies (more than other brands do).  '94 Cockburn was solid.  Smoky taste if I recall.  I was drinking more of the Champagne at that point of the night.  I have 5 more mags of the Cockburn.

always been a fan of 85s.

ferreira is one of those fabulous producers which fly under the radar. we very rarely see them out here these days. but wow can they age. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

how did it drink? i do like the 09s. a friend opened a pretty special one recently and it really did drink beautifully. 

1516995238_dec19006.thumb.JPG.21aa298d7aa857104d72ec440630a27b.JPG

It opened up nicely. I decanted this one as the previous bottle drank well over 2 days and peaked on the last drop. It definitely has legs but i do enjoy the vibrancy now. I hate to fall in love with the damn Burgundy, it seems like a rich man's sport compared to other regions in France. But when its game is on it can be sublime.

30 minutes ago, CampDelta369 said:

It opened up nicely. I decanted this one as the previous bottle drank well over 2 days and peaked on the last drop. It definitely has legs but i do enjoy the vibrancy now. I hate to fall in love with the damn Burgundy, it seems like a rich man's sport compared to other regions in France. But when its game is on it can be sublime.

greatest wine on the planet when on, for me. the tragedy is that you don't have to go back very far and you could pick up brilliant burgs, top producers and great vintages (aside from a few like DRC, roumier, leroy) for a fraction of the price of the top bordeaux. 

i remember organising a magnum of denis mortet chambertin (02 or 99, i forget which) from an auction for a mate. it was significantly less than a normal sized first growth from 2000 (sure, great wines, but i know which i'd have taken). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Tonight's pour while starting the HBO series Watchmen. This show is bananas!

20191216_193824.thumb.jpg.473f799d976151b27d050bc261bee7e4.jpg

I am drinking the same thing currently, one of my favorite regulars. 

• Like 2

Which glass did the wine taste better in?

Both Riedel glasses which is a plus, my preference For this type wine was the larger of the two, however the wife used that one so I managed to enjoy the smaller just fine and often. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1