What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

11 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

really interesting one to see. have not come across a bottle of nenin for years (i think it was popular for buck house, though not sure why i think that). years ago, it was a bit of an underperformer but in the last decade or so, the money and expertise make such things almost a thing of the past. i assume Fugue is their second label? 

Pomerol is hitting out the Bordeaux values that last couple of years.  Not many appellations can sell a Grand Cru wine for under $35 USD except Pomerol (and couple of others).

9 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Pomerol is hitting out the Bordeaux values that last couple of years.  Not many appellations can sell a Grand Cru wine for under $35 USD except Pomerol (and couple of others).

one man's $35...

for that sort of money here, we'd be lucky to get a used cork. 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:42 PM, Ken Gargett said:

one man's $35...

for that sort of money here, we'd be lucky to get a used cork. 

Well...  I had this one last night.  First Aussie wine in a long ass time.  Bought some for $15.99.  Good price?

torbreck.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Well...  I had this one last night.  First Aussie wine in a long ass time.  Bought some for $15.99.  Good price?

torbreck.jpg

technically their bottom level but i have always loved these wines. for that money, i would think excellent buying. and a lot more age on it than we would typically see retail here. so i hope it had been stored well. 

did you enjoy it? 

13 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

technically their bottom level but i have always loved these wines. for that money, i would think excellent buying. and a lot more age on it than we would typically see retail here. so i hope it had been stored well. 

did you enjoy it? 

Storage fine.  I wasn't sure where this fit in their portfolio.  I use to like their Woodcutter's Reserve.  A little too fruity and alcohol for me.  Lovely orange and tangerine flavors mixed in.  It was stored fine as these were from a premier wine store for Northeast US (in clearance bin).  Australian wines have massively declined in popularity in the US, their wine guy commented.  Then I realized I don't own any and never order a bottle at a restaurant.  This wine had been sitting in their basement and was swept out with a lot of other random wines.

The Woodcutter's was much better than this or my memory is getting old.

52 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Storage fine.  I wasn't sure where this fit in their portfolio.  I use to like their Woodcutter's Reserve.  A little too fruity and alcohol for me.  Lovely orange and tangerine flavors mixed in.  It was stored fine as these were from a premier wine store for Northeast US (in clearance bin).  Australian wines have massively declined in popularity in the US, their wine guy commented.  Then I realized I don't own any and never order a bottle at a restaurant.  This wine had been sitting in their basement and was swept out with a lot of other random wines.

The Woodcutter's was much better than this or my memory is getting old.

woodcutter's would be a step up. though lots has changed there as the winemaker (we all thought he was the owner), dave powell, got the flick and now does his own thing. not seen his new wines yet. this would have been one of his. it would be designed to be simple and fruity and easy and fun. here, it is drunk very young. never seen one get that old! imagine it as a simple easy drinking style, almost mid rank beaujolais in comparison (not style comparison). their serious wines are about 10 or 20 times the price and can be very good.

aussie sales definitely down in some areas. i never understood how it all went. americans, largely thanks to parker, jumped on the big rich hot alcoholic reds, largely barossa shiraz and a few others. some are excellent wines, if in balance, but many were horrible and they were going for ridiculous prices. we never saw many of them here. winemakers knew they would not be that well received and could get squillions for them in the states so off they went. that was never sustainable. then rosemount/penfolds had their hiccup and yellowtail jumped in. i think they still sell shiploads but it is aimed at a market that likes sweetness and could not give a toss about grapes etc. which is fine. 

so many of our top wines never get there or get there in tiny quantities. they are working on changing this and these are the wines which will eventually make the reputation. but these things do take time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CampDelta369 said:

Beer night from local brewery canned 1 hr earlier. Solid IPA

D004E05D-8CF1-42D9-9465-087B25FB28A4.jpeg

Some Haze yesterday. Because we can.

D99CA59D-7306-4D59-AEAB-86369B02FCF9.jpeg

Robert,

Now we are talking !!! Both breweries look fairly new ? Limited reviews but what I see intrigues me... Although next time you make it Monkish I HAVE to work out a trade I am dying to try that stuff !

Cheers

• Like 1

Time to put the haze down for about 6 weeks .. have to become the biggest loser and this stuff isn’t helping....half acre local brewery solid stuff  

7B380879-66C0-40E9-88C0-30A1DC07C6F5.thumb.jpeg.477fecddd2b7a2baebac58abddbecc8e.jpeg

• Like 2

How is it compared to Green spot or Redbreast?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I wish I could tell you but I’ve never tried Green Spot and it’s been a while since I’ve had had Redbreast. I’ve heard good things about both and hope to try them soon...

Stomach has been off, taking some time off from whisky. This ones for you hazy.
20200305_194446.thumb.jpg.9e3f042523374e2ce8a04dbcfec8a3df.jpg

Looking good ! Weldwerks gets all the Colorado Love for purchase locally in Chicago and this is pretty recent. This haze craze is real when they are done right they are so juicy ! Cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lovethehaze said:

Looking good ! Weldwerks gets all the Colorado Love for purchase locally in Chicago and this is pretty recent. This haze craze is real when they are done right they are so juicy ! Cheers

My mother lives about 35 minutes from treehouse brewery, so whenever i visit i get a ton of Julius. This just doesnt compare. Really I prefer dry session IPAs, but NEIPAs are def up there for a long sipper.

• Like 1