What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

On 6/27/2020 at 10:29 PM, SirVantes said:

Astoundingly good 

FED42EC3-B129-4EF1-B3BB-ED1C10E520E7.jpeg

DFEDFD82-3CBF-4315-AA6F-F622501F32BA.jpeg

3FBADC59-D720-4BE3-BF14-BC4F1D8B8C89.jpeg

wow! should have been stunning. as far as i am aware, 71 in barolo as good as anywhere in the world that year (barolo, burgundy and barossa, but definitely not a B grade vintage). 

15 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Must've been heaven right there.  Very fancy.

58 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

wow! should have been stunning. as far as i am aware, 71 in barolo as good as anywhere in the world that year (barolo, burgundy and barossa, but definitely not a B grade vintage). 

'71 is my birth year, and was also acknowledged as an exceptional vintage for barolo - which is my favourite wine. The good thing is that I can still pick up bottles of '71 barolo for a fraction of, say, classified growth Bordeaux (for which '71 was at best middling).  I have not had many, but even those from humble co-ops (eg. Terre del Barolo) have been great experiences.  Something like this Prunotto + Bussia + riserva comes along very rarely, and definitely did not disappoint.  The downside of a '71 obsession is that one keeps eyeing the '71 Monfortino, which is crazy money.

2 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

'71 is my birth year, and was also acknowledged as an exceptional vintage for barolo - which is my favourite wine. The good thing is that I can still pick up bottles of '71 barolo for a fraction of, say, classified growth Bordeaux (for which '71 was at best middling).  I have not had many, but even those from humble co-ops (eg. Terre del Barolo) have been great experiences.  Something like this Prunotto + Bussia + riserva comes along very rarely, and definitely did not disappoint.  The downside of a '71 obsession is that one keeps eyeing the '71 Monfortino, which is crazy money.

we see very few 71 barolos here. used to be able to grab a burg or two. i remember the 71 romanee-conti as the greatest wine i had ever seen until a few years ago. and the 71 grange is sublime. it was about $2K a bottle until we named it best wine of the 70s at the big tasting in helsinki (all done blind and some of the european judges were horrified they had rated an australian wine so highly). then it immediately went to about $5K a bottle. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

we see very few 71 barolos here. used to be able to grab a burg or two. i remember the 71 romanee-conti as the greatest wine i had ever seen until a few years ago. and the 71 grange is sublime. it was about $2K a bottle until we named it best wine of the 70s at the big tasting in helsinki (all done blind and some of the european judges were horrified they had rated an australian wine so highly). then it immediately went to about $5K a bottle. 

'71 Grange is another one of those "one day..." wines.  As for shocking the frogs, I have been lucky enough to have had '71 Ridge Monte Bello, of Judgment of Paris fame, which was fantastic.

1 hour ago, SirVantes said:

'71 Grange is another one of those "one day..." wines.  As for shocking the frogs, I have been lucky enough to have had '71 Ridge Monte Bello, of Judgment of Paris fame, which was fantastic.

one of the guys judging in helsinki was the son of one of the blokes who made one of those wines. from memory, the montelena chardy. not the owner, the winemaker. 

the set that had the 71 grange in it, had two utterly spectacular wines next to each other at the end of the row. the last was the grange 71. the previous one was the heitz martha's vineyard 1974, which was also sensational. a point behind the grange for most of us but so close, it hardly mattered.

that was the famous one which was named among the wine speccy's 12 greatest wines of the 20th century - 1900 Margaux, 1961 Petrus, 1937 DRC Romanee-Conti, 1941 Inglenook Cabernet, 1945 Mouton Rothschild, 1961 Jaboulet ‘La Chapelle’, 1947 Cheval Blanc, 1974 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard Cabernet, 1955 Penfold's Grange (Grange Hermitage, in those days), 1921 Yquem and 1931 Quinta do Noval Nacional Vintage Port. 

i've had the Margaux, Mouton-Rothschild, Heitz, Yquem and the Noval (although the normal, not Nacional). so a few more to try! interesting that a lot of people put the 1953 Grange ahead of 55 - i have tried the 53 and it is heaven on earth. tried both the red and white La Chapelle from 1945, which would be hard to beat. and i'd give the nod to the 1929 Romanee-Conti over the lot. 

i think i need to win the lottery. 

• Like 1