What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

34 minutes ago, CalStogie said:

(The Wookey Jack) That is a fantastic beer!!! I have no idea why it was axed, makes no sense. How was the comparison? Did you brew it yourself? 

Agree completely. I don't drink a lot of beer but WJ was a favorite. This is Not as malty sweet as original with pine and citrus hops dominating. Clean crisp finish. The hops linger on forever. Also ABV at 5.6% so not as heavy. And no I am not brewing myself although I am fascinated by the process. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You guys are killing me with the Barolo! Freaking love that juice. 

Great varietal especially the 2010’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bill Hayes said:

Here in Victoria we are suffering a second wave of Covid so we are in full lockdown. Not much to do but have a drink or two. Luckily the AFL season has been condensed somewhat so we are in the second week of 20 days straight of games. Last night enjoyed some cab sav and found a bottle of Tawny Port. Usually not a big fan of Tawny but this one was superb with a peppery finish and not sickly sweet.

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

Are those both Australian tawny port? Or is the Taylors' a dry wine?  Never seen a Taylor Fladgate port like that and I doubt it's Taylor California crap.

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Are those both Australian tawny port? Or is the Taylors' a dry wine?  Never seen a Taylor Fladgate port like that and I doubt it's Taylor California crap.

bottom one is. good aussie tawny.

jarraman is one of the labels from Taylors in the Clare Valley. not their top stuff but always good drinking and excellent value. likely Cab or Shiraz. i'm sure Bill could tell you. they go under the name of Wakefield in most offshore markets, because of the clash with the Port house. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

There's such a thing?

the fortifieds from Rutherglen are extraordinary. muscats, sherries, tokays, tawny ports. names changing. apera for sherry styles. tokay changes in a few months. port often called simply 'fortified' these days. 

the styles tend to be richer, and sometimes sweeter than typical Douro tawnies. our friend Mr Parker regularly gave 99 or 100 to the top Rutherglen examples. 

they are actually often superb as a match for cigars. 

8 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

the fortifieds from Rutherglen are extraordinary. muscats, sherries, tokays, tawny ports. names changing. apera for sherry styles. tokay changes in a few months. port often called simply 'fortified' these days. 

the styles tend to be richer, and sometimes sweeter than typical Douro tawnies. our friend Mr Parker regularly gave 99 or 100 to the top Rutherglen examples. 

they are actually often superb as a match for cigars. 

The ones I have tried tend to be overly sweet or flabby for my taste, but I've only had a handful of them.

1 minute ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The ones I have tried tend to be overly sweet or flabby for my taste, but I've only had a handful of them.

they can certainly be at the sweet end of the spectrum but the top ones are definitely not flabby. cheaper ones certainly can be. good ones are finely balanced and very clean on the finish, not cloying at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1