What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

On 8/5/2020 at 12:35 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Are those both Australian tawny port? Or is the Taylors' a dry wine?  Never seen a Taylor Fladgate port like that and I doubt it's Taylor California crap.

23 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

bottom one is. good aussie tawny.

jarraman is one of the labels from Taylors in the Clare Valley. not their top stuff but always good drinking and excellent value. likely Cab or Shiraz. i'm sure Bill could tell you. they go under the name of Wakefield in most offshore markets, because of the clash with the Port house. 

The top is a cheap Cabernet Sauvignon but the De Bortoli was quite nice. I find most tawny too sweet but this one had a nice clean peppery finish. De Bortoli is from the Yarra Valley in Victoria which is east of the city. I have been to many long weekends to the Winery Walkabout in Rutherglen region which is way north of the city closer to the border of New South Wales. It gets very hot days in Summer and colder nights and very cold winters compared to Melbourne. It's more of a drunken dress up party than a serious wine trip but you do get to taste a lot of muscat and tokay and usually bring back a bottle. Those two varietals aren't really to my liking but I can appreciate how good they are by the depth of flavour and texture. I prefer the Vintage Port from Rutherglen. Some of the more obscure white varietals aren't bad either. The Shiraz and red varietals seem a tad sweet, with exceptions to Bobby Burns Shiraz and Pfeiffers Shiraz. If you head there, never try the Chardonnay... ha ha. In my younger days we used to test our metal by making the first drink of the day a Chardy. Not a great hangover cure I can tell you.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:06 PM, CampDelta369 said:

Les Brouillards Volnay! Actually a very nice bottle of de Bourgogne. 5 years ago it was all Bordeaux and Brunellos. Lately I've been chasing the Pinot Noir unicorn. Go figure. Cheers 

note: the second day this bottle was just outstanding. Cherries, earth, game meats, herbs. It really opened up in the glass. Wow ? 

D2877289-3175-460B-B846-B6D9B2A6E76A.jpeg

You seem to know your Burgundy... Can you suggest a few good starter bottles of red Burgundy? (that won't put me in a homeless shelter)

42 minutes ago, Baccy said:

You seem to know your Burgundy... Can you suggest a few good starter bottles of red Burgundy? (that won't put me in a homeless shelter)

Ha ha! I do enjoy a good Burgundy but knowing that region is a long walk. I have posted some good to excellent bottles here that are worth trying. Some of them still probably available? I don't know. All I have sought out are by review that have flavor profiles I prefer. Buying Burgundy blind is folly. If you find an allocation of this Volnay it is worthy of a taste for sure.

8 hours ago, Baccy said:

What is easy to find for me could be hard for someone else.  I would consider village the wine is from.  Rully is hot for value in red and white.  Pommard has transformed itself and Santenay is constantly getting better.  Or look to producers like Potel, Faiveley, Vincent Girardin, or Bouchard Aine & Fils as good start. 

I am digging Washington State pinot or Italian Alto Adige pinot nero.

13 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

What is easy to find for me could be hard for someone else.  I would consider village the wine is from.  Rully is hot for value in red and white.  Pommard has transformed itself and Santenay is constantly getting better.  Or look to producers like Potel, Faiveley, Vincent Girardin, or Bouchard Aine & Fils as good start. 

I am digging Washington State pinot or Italian Alto Adige pinot nero.

Thanks, I have sources. I'd love to try some Romanee Conti but I'm not filthy rich...

17 minutes ago, Baccy said:

Thanks, I have sources. I'd love to try some Romanee Conti but I'm not a filthy rich...

if you have sources that can provide romanee-conti, then i'd be chatting to them about what else they could offer. i think that wilson daniels brings them into the states? anyone who represents them is pretty much top of their game. they'll have other top names and producers, who will not cost your first born.

not easy to get. i remember on one of my visits that there was another gent there who was the CEO of a series of luxury hotels in India. he was telling me that they had never been able to source a single bottle of any DRC wine (you can go to auction but there are inherent risks). i'm not sure his cause was assisted by his son who loudly announced that he had enjoyed all these pinot noir reds but did they have anything else? and he was not talking about their montrachet. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

he had enjoyed all these pinot noir reds but did they have anything else? 

? "No? Well, you should think about ripping up some of these old, tired vines.  Plant some Cabernet, try for a blockbuster.  You could get one of the Bordelais consultants to help.  Or some of the Americans are very good..."

13 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

? "No? Well, you should think about ripping up some of these old, tired vines.  Plant some Cabernet, try for a blockbuster.  You could get one of the Bordelais consultants to help.  Or some of the Americans are very good..."

at the time, we'd just been served a romanee-conti from the 70s (sadly not 71 or 78 but we made do). i thought that is the end of the good stuff for us! M Noblet looked like we'd crapped in a barrel and mentioned that he would get us a little aligote to finish. 

bugger, i thought. 

he came back with a decanter he must have done earlier, and the wine was extraordinary. i remember thinking that if this was aligote, then i am on board.

turned out to be the 88 Montrachet. now that is a wine that will bring tears and have one believing in the divinities. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Baccy said:

Thanks, I have sources. I'd love to try some Romanee Conti but I'm not filthy rich...

If you want to try DRC some of the cheapest prices you'll find world wide are at restaurants.  I have seen DRC well below retail prices at restaurants in the the US and the Middle East. So much so, it's worth asking to just buy the bottle "to go" uncorked. 

14 minutes ago, Baccy said:

What do you guys think about the other DRC offerings such as La Tache?

vintages vary but for me, when on song, these are the greatest wines on the planet.

agree definitely with checking restaurant wine lists. a few years back, a mate of mine and i were at a 3-star in france and we found the 95 la Tache at A$500. lord, take me now. sadly a lot less of that, these days, as the internet does allow even incompetent restauranteurs to check what they should sell wines for. but you still find the occasional steal. happens more often with older wines where they have neglected to update the wines to "modern" prices. 

there is a legendary story that halliday tells about he and len evans and a few mates travelling france a long while back. they ducked into a place for lunch before heading on. when they saw the wine list and prices, all bets off, all appointments cancelled. when they left early the next morning - lunch became lunch, dinner and drinks - the staff formed a guard of honour with knives and ladling spoons raised for them to walk under as they left (staggered out, i suspect). apparently the staff had never seen anything like it. the guys plundered that list for all they could. DRCs, First Growths, great wines from everywhere, many very old. at ridiculously cheap prices. 

they went back a few times but it seems that after a couple of years, word spread and it was never what it was for those first couple of visits.  

first time i went to Can Roca, ten years ago, bit more??, we were drinking Rousseau Grand Cru from top years for around A$80. now, that would not give you a half glass. a later time there, we had the de Vogue Musigny 2002 for under $400 (at the time, it would have been $1000 to $1500 from the importer in Australia). but that tends to happen less and less. still worth looking. 

• Like 2

How was it? I have a bottle yet to crack..

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I do like it, but I think I prefer the standard one. I’m undecided on the addition of the cognac cask finishing. It comes off a little sour...I had it with a smoke and am not sure it was the right accompaniment....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk