What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

2 hours ago, Hollywood Ninja said:

I’ve got a bottle of 17 I’ve been slowly taking down as I’m likely not going to be able to replace any time soon! Nice bottle!!

I know what you mean.  I got this bottle at Narita duty free, back when it was readily available and I think for not much more than a 1L Johnnie black.  With the mad prices now, there's no chance of me ever buying another bottle, even though I rate it as the best Japanese blend (ahead of Hibiki with similar age statements).  

On 9/25/2020 at 12:46 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

California Cabs don't get much better than this.  Almost 40 years old and still going strong.  Cork was barely penetrated and looked like from a 10 year old wine.  Super impressive and a real treat.  Been waiting a while to drink this one with those who'd appreciate it.  A magnum at that!

1982 BV.jpg

love the guys at crasto. they make some stunning stuff. stayed with them for 3-4 days a few years back. amazingly hospitable people.

they have an infinity pool at the very top of one of the hills, overlooking the douro. might just have the best view from any pool on the planet. i remember one afternoon, after a swim, on the couch overlooking the river with a great book (LOTR, if i recall), an old port and an SLR DC. does not get much better. 

• Like 4

I know what you mean.  I got this bottle at Narita duty free, back when it was readily available and I think for not much more than a 1L Johnnie black.  With the mad prices now, there's no chance of me ever buying another bottle, even though I rate it as the best Japanese blend (ahead of Hibiki with similar age statements).  

I’ve never had (or found for that matter) any aged Hibiki. I do usually suggest Nikka over Hibiki to friends who are heavy Scotch drinkers (although I do enjoy Hibiki too especially as a more regular pour). Have yet to try a Yamazaki 12 either. I hear its what the Glenlivet 18 wants to be, ha!

8 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

love the guys at crasto. they make some stunning stuff. stayed with them for 3-4 days a few years back. amazingly hospitable people.

they have an infinity pool at the very top of one of the hills, overlooking the douro. might just have the best view from any pool on the planet. i remember one afternoon, after a swim, on the couch overlooking the river with a great book (LOTR, if i recall), an old port and an SLR DC. does not get much better. 

That pool is amazing for sure.  I like Crasto wines better than their ports.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:15 AM, Hollywood Ninja said:

I’ve never had (or found for that matter) any aged Hibiki. I do usually suggest Nikka over Hibiki to friends who are heavy Scotch drinkers (although I do enjoy Hibiki too especially as a more regular pour). Have yet to try a Yamazaki 12 either. I hear its what the Glenlivet 18 wants to be, ha!

I went to Japan in 2016 and tried quite a few. I remember a 25yo Hibiki in a bar being fantastic. I currently have Nikka from the barrel which is pretty powerful and Nikka Supa left over which is a more rounded blend. But back then you could buy a bottle of my favourite, Yamazaki 18yo, for $180 AUD. I went through a few of those. Now they are worth thousands $. I have purchased a bottle of Yamazaki 12yo a while back but it doesn't compare to the 18yo. I think Japanese whisky became popular all of a sudden and they ran out of stock. There was also a successful advertising campaign for whisky highballs in the summer of 2016 when I was there and a younger market adopted whisky drinking. So, it became no longer the domain of old men who smoke cigars... ha ha. It's a shame. Some of my favourite moments of that trip was sitting in bars drinking good Japanese whisky and smoking cigars. Bit too pricey now.

On 9/29/2020 at 9:11 AM, Bill Hayes said:

I went to Japan in 2016 and tried quite a few. I remember a 25yo Hibiki in a bar being fantastic. I currently have Nikka from the barrel which is pretty powerful and Nikka Supa left over which is a more rounded blend. But back then you could buy a bottle of my favourite, Yamazaki 18yo, for $180 AUD. I went through a few of those. Now they are worth thousands $. I have purchased a bottle of Yamazaki 12yo a while back but it doesn't compare to the 18yo. I think Japanese whisky became popular all of a sudden and they ran out of stock. There was also a successful advertising campaign for whisky highballs in the summer of 2016 when I was there and a younger market adopted whisky drinking. So, it became no longer the domain of old men who smoke cigars... ha ha. It's a shame. Some of my favourite moments of that trip was sitting in bars drinking good Japanese whisky and smoking cigars. Bit too pricey now.

Just this Feb right before the lockdown, I was in Narita airport and found that they had stock of both the 21yo Hibiki (50,000JPY) and 18yo Yamazaki (40,000JPY). Sales were limited to one per traveller. Brought a bottle of the Hibiki back and immediately flipped it for 30% profit.

Just last year I was at the Yamazaki distillery and had the full flight of all the aged statements (30yo Hibiki for 3,000JPY a glass, I assume 20ml). They were nice, but at current prices I'll probably prefer to get a bottle of Port Ellen.