What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

7 hours ago, Mr.T said:

Ken, I paid $65 for this bottle so it’s on the expensive side for me, but not so prohibitive that I can’t grab a couple to age. Lots of delicious berry and earthy notes and towards the end there was a very discernible hint of mint..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately i have deleted the email but i'd be guessing well over twice that. perhaps more. 

14 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

how did they rank? i would imagine the 70 Grahams very hard to top. 

The two Ramos tasted the same except for a decade of development.  Orange blossoms and not so big nose.  '85 Niepoort had a solid showing; mid-pack for the vintage.  '70 Graham was all that.  I've had some deviation on that bottle.  Some bottling's are hotter than others.  This one looks to be British bottling.  I think the Douro bottles may have more heat.  Will need to have one of each at some point.

Last night we went easy:

1966 Croft.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The two Ramos tasted the same except for a decade of development.  Orange blossoms and not so big nose.  '85 Niepoort had a solid showing; mid-pack for the vintage.  '70 Graham was all that.  I've had some deviation on that bottle.  Some bottling's are hotter than others.  This one looks to be British bottling.  I think the Douro bottles may have more heat.  Will need to have one of each at some point.

Last night we went easy:

1966 Croft.jpg

colour on both look terrific. 

had a wine lunch yesterday with the regular crew. and no port. it has finally got to that stage. very depressing. 

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

colour on both look terrific. 

had a wine lunch yesterday with the regular crew. and no port. it has finally got to that stage. very depressing. 

In the glass they sure do.  When pour from the bottle through the decanter the Croft has less color depth and more sediment.  Cork was softer and a bitch to get all out in several pieces.  I had meant to grab a '63 Croft.  '66 is rarer and don't have as many; oh well.  The whole point was two '63's...

Had two bottles of Champagne today; no port.

2 hours ago, Meklown said:

Today's my dad's birthday but we had an early celebration last Friday due to the amount we were planning to drink. The Latour was a present from myself and my sister, and our partners. Extra meaningful as Dad's kept a vertical series of Latours for many years but never had a bottle from his own birth year. His face when he opened the package was priceless and I will keep that image in my heart forever.

PXL_20210219_165727761.jpg

that latour looks like a 61? what a sensational thing to do. one of the all time greats. only ever seen it once. a great line up. 

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

that latour looks like a 61? what a sensational thing to do. one of the all time greats. only ever seen it once. a great line up. 

Yes it was a 61. Good eyes, sorry for the poor photo + bin soiled label. Absolutely stunning and a real privilege to have the opportunity to taste such a bottle. Thank God it wasn't corked (bought it at auction mid-shoulder) - you never know how all these old bottles behave after so long. 

Of the 3 reds, the 88 larose made the 07 feel like a baby, and the Latour absolutely put the 88 to shame! 

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Your dad was born in '61?  I feel old.

i know. i read it as well and thought...  oh dear. 

i served my dad a 1929 moulin touchais just before he passed away. he had no interest in wine and almost never even drank a beer but he was blown away that a wine from his birth year was still drinking well. really emotional moment. 

it always helps when people are considerate enough to be born in a great year. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some fun ones on Saturday.  Octagon is considered Virginia's finest wine.  The '88 Delas CdP took a good couple of hours to open up.  Ended up quite lovely.  '70 Dow was a pop and pour.  Also fantastic.  Actually had the last glass of it last night and was still holding up well.

1988 Delas.jpg

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Meklown said:

How was the bunny? Looks pretty light coloured for a 26yo hogshead; I would harbour a guess that it's a refill 

It was a real crowd pleaser.  Waves of fruits, a little brine, with a finish in the back palate that sparked a debate about whether there was the slightest hint of peat or not.  It probably was a refill cask, but I'd say bottled at exactly the right time to showcase the distillate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...