What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

a tasting of some samples today. done the first five - Johann's Garden 18 (best JG i've seen), Keyneton, Tappa Pass, Hill of Roses and Mt Edelstone. stunning collection.

still have the Hill of Grace to go. 

835418072_henschke006.JPG.b3b53f783686f0bf64c6a68c4f8137f8.JPG

Nice!  How is the Hill of Roses?  I have been eyeing the Marble Angel - any experience/thoughts on that?

1 hour ago, SirVantes said:

Nice!  How is the Hill of Roses?  I have been eyeing the Marble Angel - any experience/thoughts on that?

superb, but exy at $400 plus. the Mt Edelstone at $200 plus is the better wine and value. but these guys have never made a dud. have not seen the latest Marble Angel - 2018 - but 18 is a brilliant vintage for these guys. it should be winderful. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

how was it? only ever come across their less pointy end stuff, which have been good. 

Very enjoyable and quite complex. I’d say the second most enjoyable rum I’ve brought back from Cuba. I Still prefer the Santiago 20. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

so how were they?

my last 89 Krug was a touch cork tainted. filthy bark! 

89 mouton should have been great you'd hope. and if any wine overcomes dodgy vintages, must be latour. 

We were in luck with all 3.

The Krug was appley, yeasty and very rich on the palate, with just enough acidity to carry it.  This was a rare foray outside of our group's blanc de blancs devotion, and there was a comment of "Very nice.  But this is not champagne."  

The Mouton was tobacco, cedar, dark fruit, and a hint of camphor.  It was not as oaky and muscular as I remember from a couple of past bottles, but so much the better for it.

The Latour was the wine of the night.  All cedar, graphite and fine-sanded tannin and sweet fruit.  Made the Mouton almost seem a little green by comparison.  Such a joy to be pleasantly surprised by a wine from a poor vintage.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

We were in luck with all 3.

The Krug was appley, yeasty and very rich on the palate, with just enough acidity to carry it.  This was a rare foray outside of our group's blanc de blancs devotion, and there was a comment of "Very nice.  But this is not champagne."  

The Mouton was tobacco, cedar, dark fruit, and a hint of camphor.  It was not as oaky and muscular as I remember from a couple of past bottles, but so much the better for it.

The Latour was the wine of the night.  All cedar, graphite and fine-sanded tannin and sweet fruit.  Made the Mouton almost seem a little green by comparison.  Such a joy to be pleasantly surprised by a wine from a poor vintage.

amazing how with time, great producers overcome vintages deficiencies. nice to hear, although i have certain friends who would be drawing swords at the suggest that an 89 Krug is not champagne!! i can't wait to tell them.

mind you, a good blanc de blancs is hard to beat. we had a magnum of the 08 penfolds thienot 08 blanc de blancs last week and then they opened half a dozen 96 salon. take me now, lord. sadly i didn't get to drink all six. but i tried.