What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Lovely afternoon and evening so time for the first bbq of the season. Given how nice a day it was and spending the whole day in the yard thought to break out the Caipirinhas...ae872dd5563242ffbd67181c9112390d.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely afternoon and evening so time for the first bbq of the season. Given how nice a day it was and spending the whole day in the yard thought to break out the Caipirinhas...ae872dd5563242ffbd67181c9112390d.jpg

A Caipirinha made with 51 rum...I can't wait for summer as this is one of my favourite cocktails! party.gif

• Like 1

On a cold Sydney night.. Oban 14 y.o.

fe2ef65cea53d4d9c3f862ee1782febf.jpg

Agreed...ridiculously cold in the last week. What was the cigar that went with the Oban? I'd imagine it would be harder to smoke in this very cold weather!

it's an NC (honduran 50 gauge)...can't remember the marca..was a bit hard to smoke but not as bad as you think even though it was quite cold

• Like 1

Rum and margaritas tonight:

Hawaiian Ko'Loa dark rum- tastes like vanilla extract, but works in margaritas.

George Bowman dark rum- bottled by A. Smith Bowman in Virginia, but is a sourced rum- one friend said Jamaica, I thought possibly Barbados. Tastes like an English navy-style rum, with no added sugar. Pretty tasty.

Margaritas made with Hawaiian rum, tequila, mango juice and crushed ice.

Frozen old-fashioned made with Barrell Bourbon, mango juice, orange and chocolate bitters.

Some assorted other things- High West Bourye, Rendezvous Rye, and some Glenmorangie.

First day of winter in the Southern Hemisphere hence I am breaking out the heavy beers, ales and stouts.

64351b0d02ac3b4b93791415d6ac55fd.jpg

Innis & Gunn, the original oak aged beer and the best. biggrin.png

And they do one aged in a rum cask (I think), dark and red and strong......mmmm....thirsty.

Last nights drinks:

b89d0556cc7183bf2b8c0c973e589355.jpg

I haven't had much Bunnahabhain, if any at all and I am quite taken by its style. It is deliciously light and gentle with plenty of maritime-coastal notes. Just a hint of peat to round it off and to remind that this is still an Islay.

Something to have when you tire of those big bruiser type Islays.

Agree with your comments about the Bunnahabhain, one of my wife's favourites and very different from the other Islays. Got her another 18 yo for her B'day recently. Afraid she'll be expecting it over the 12 yo for all future purchases.

What did you think of the Starward?

I admire what the lads (ex-brewers I think) are up to, but think I'll give them a few more years to settle things in. Might have to get a bottle soon to see the progress.

Agree with your comments about the Bunnahabhain, one of my wife's favourites and very different from the other Islays. Got her another 18 yo for her B'day recently. Afraid she'll be expecting it over the 12 yo for all future purchases.

What did you think of the Starward?

I admire what the lads (ex-brewers I think) are up to, but think I'll give them a few more years to settle things in. Might have to get a bottle soon to see the progress.

It's a good first effort at a wine cask matured wine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

your a machine I look forward to the day having a cigar and drink with you lmao.gif

X2 here great collection

Dobson's Empire 8 Triple Distilled Single Malt Australian Whisky by Eastview Estate from a sample bottle.

3ee9b9d00734c6acb84b96cd34a6451b.jpg

Bottled at 60% and predominantly consisting of the 'heart' of the distillation. Matured in Shiraz, Chardonnay and Madeira casks.

Not much on the nose, just a gentle faint sweetness. The palate starts off sweet with a strong aniseed tinge, almost like a Caribbean rum mixed with Schnapps. Vibrant notes of tangerine, vanilla, custard and caramel that slowly fades with some woody nuances - now it feels more familiar like a bourbon whisky. Nice oily consistency, quite approachable - starts a little prickly, quickly becoming smooth and finishes warming.

Not really as intense as I would expect from a whisky bottled at 60% and probably would benefit from additional depth of flavour but it is an interestingly unique experience, nonetheless.

• Like 1