maverickdrinker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Some commonplace Four Rose's Singlet barrel, a Busch while tending the grill and now some deeper stuff. Austere, intriguing and not for passive drinking. Will wait 10+ to test again. 

20160903_181712_001.jpg

• Like 1

Malt whisky.

The yet to be released Black Gate Cask #008 - Australian single malt.
fa4669d92ece1c9b256b8062b8af9348.jpg
Quality seems to be going up with subsequent batches. Unfortunately, so too is the price like most Australian, Japanese and Taiwanese whisky {damn you Jim Murray and the World Whisky Awards - LOL}.

Ardbeg Dark Cove (non-Committee bottling).
c7c826ee35f7829316a55a55d5c3f347.jpg
Surprisingly different to the Committee bottling and not very Ardbeg-like: not much spiciness and in-your-face peat. Reminds of a peated highlander and eminently drinkable. Well rounded.

Wolfburn Single Malt.
8d7e90d3347e9d1ecf7a308b9bcc792c.jpg
A young 3 year old and you can tell from the nose. On the palate, the quality of the spirit and deft wood handling is evident. A promising young distillery, will be keen to see how they evolve in the next decade or so.

• Like 2

I'm not of a fan of heavily peated scotches. I don't actually like peat taste or smell much, so it's a challenge at times to find a nice complex Scotch Whisky that fits my taste profile desires. I tend to stick to Irish Whiskeys or Japanese or Canadian whiskeys. But I have found a few Scotches that hit all the marks for me. One is this one - the Bruitchladdich Classic Laddie Single Malt, Unpeated Whisky. Absolutely love the taste profile. Sweet honey citrus nose. Strong (50%, so knock it down), Super complex, I don't even want to try and describe the flavours; it just goes on and on. Thick, viscous, luscious. Finish goes on forever. Lovely. 

scotches-1.jpg

• Like 2

Another of my faves (and one of Ralfy's favourite blended scotches)... the Monkey Shoulder. It's made from a blend of 3 or 4 "top Scotches" (rumour has it Balvennie Double Barrel is one of them), and this is just pure... comfort to me. I suggest seeking out Ralfy's review or others on this scotch. It's my current fave. And I have a glass in front of me right now of it.

scotches-2.jpg

• Like 2

Sampled a selection of single malts.

1995 Glen Grant 20 Year Old Cask 88170+88171, bottled by Signatory for their Signatory Vintage series.

1c2846e4d219f74c3613f46eafde7a03.jpg

Well matured spirit with the oak well integrated with the spirit and does not overpower. Sweet, honeyed, malty Speysider - clean, good and honest.

Longrow Red 12 Year Old Fresh Pinot Noir Cask from New Zealand.

3229ceab0d458f6480cb03adcb3ef04a.jpg

Peat, savoury-salty, sour cherry, dry wine notes balanced with malt sweetness. A pleasant palate but the finish is a little short.

Springbank 12 Year Old Burgundy.

f702b433a25581ca72e3783c457121e6.jpg

Gently peaty, intense palate, port-like, strawberries, spicy - almost like a well sherried peaty malt. Complex with a long finish. How interesting it is when compared to the Longrow, both being matured in casks that previously held pinot noir wine. This is my pick of the three, contemplating getting a bottle (or three) in the next round.

• Like 2

Whisky from across the globe.

d17fbe6de946b33c6b2b7f2961246415.jpg

9248e5dffd060ddf8725016e4109fd33.jpg

d211cf401b275e3112bd7c635e35ea71.jpg

The Springbank is excellent.

How is the Nika, worth the coin?

I want to start getting into Japanese whisky but I don't know where to start.

How is the Nika, worth the coin?

I want to start getting into Japanese whisky but I don't know where to start.

None of them are even a half way decent value anymore at this point, if you ask me. A lot of them went to NAS. I recommend you try the ***** from the barrel. At 40ish euros for 0.5l not a bargain but very tasty. Problem is to find it in US :(
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

None of them are even a half way decent value anymore at this point, if you ask me. A lot of them went to NAS. I recommend you try the ***** from the barrel. At 40ish euros for 0.5l not a bargain but very tasty. Problem is to find it in US :(

Yes, agreed. One of my 'go-to' whiskies...love it!

• Like 1