What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

Here's a picture of 1985 Grahams VP we had last week.  Has plenty of life to and the most sweet in style of the 1980's vintages of Graham.  Time will tell if '83 or '85 will be the longest lived.  1980 is a good sleeper vintage.  The single quinta vintages from Graham tend not to be as long lived, but provide a good value.

1985 Graham.JPG

• Like 1

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Here's a picture of 1985 Grahams VP we had last week.  Has plenty of life to and the most sweet in style of the 1980's vintages of Graham.  Time will tell if '83 or '85 will be the longest lived.  1980 is a good sleeper vintage.  The single quinta vintages from Graham tend not to be as long lived, but provide a good value.

1985 Graham.JPG

What are the 60's Vintages like?
I bought a few at Auction and am yet to get around to trying one

18 hours ago, StingMeadery said:

I bought a few at Auction and am yet to get around to trying one emoji28.png

The 1963 and 1966 Graham are both excellent, in fact the 66 Graham is better than the Taylor and Fonseca from the same year, Fonseca seems to be a little hot and requires at least 6 hours of decanting time.

As far as 1963's these are my top 4 in order:

1. Quinta Do Noval Nacional.. an absolute powerhouse that will last for well over 60 more years!

2. Fonseca 

3. Taylor

4. Graham

• Like 1

The 1963 and 1966 Graham are both excellent, in fact the 66 Graham is better than the Taylor and Fonseca from the same year, Fonseca seems to be a little hot and requires at least 6 hours of decanting time.

As far as 1963's these are my top 4 in order:

1. Quinta Do Noval Nacional.. an absolute powerhouse that will last for well over 60 more years!

2. Fonseca 

3. Taylor

4. Graham

0d6e9b95097ba65cd11a4edad78b3eeb.jpg

• Like 1

For '63 vintage, I like (in no order) Dow, Fonseca, Graham, Niepoort, Taylor and Warre.  I haven't had the Nacional, but would assume it's great.

If spending my own hard earned money, I would look for Sandeman or Croft; both excellent for the vintage and still affordable.  '66 is a better vintage, but there is less available today.  Many drank the '66 vintage early thinking it would be a shadow of '63 when the opposite ended up being true.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:01 PM, StingMeadery said:

I bought a few at Auction and am yet to get around to trying one emoji28.png

I assume you mean Grahams alone?  1963 for many bottles is starting to fade, but holding.  Provenance is key; good bottles still have plenty of life. 1966 is a vintage with more life to it and should last longer.  1960 is very difficult to find, I can't remember the last time I had it.  Vintages from the 50's & older like '48,'50, and 55 are fantastic.

Best money spent for Grahams VP are 1970, 1980, 1983, and 1985.   You'll be waiting another 10-20+ years before the 1994 really shows its stuff.  Could age that our lifetime.  I have had it a few time and refuse to open my OWC for some time!  Why waste them?

History will show that 1977 was not the vintage people were lead to believe.  Prices are still high on the bottles.  I would take any of the other vintages mentioned over 1977, but if you can find '77 for decent price do not overlook it.   1975 is pretty rare.  We drank a Magnum of it last weekend.  Solid vintage, but nothing to write home on.  I gave it 89 points, a friend 91 points.  I would rate my recommend buys above 91 points for many years forward.  

I assume you mean Grahams alone?  1963 for many bottles is starting to fade, but holding.  Provenance is key; good bottles still have plenty of life. 1966 is a vintage with more life to it and should last longer.  1960 is very difficult to find, I can't remember the last time I had it.  Vintages from the 50's & older like '48,'50, and 55 are fantastic.

Best money spent for Grahams VP are 1970, 1980, 1983, and 1985.   You'll be waiting another 10-20+ years before the 1994 really shows its stuff.  Could age that our lifetime.  I have had it a few time and refuse to open my OWC for some time!  Why waste them?

History will show that 1977 was not the vintage people were lead to believe.  Prices are still high on the bottles.  I would take any of the other vintages mentioned over 1977, but if you can find '77 for decent price do not overlook it.   1975 is pretty rare.  We drank a Magnum of it last weekend.  Solid vintage, but nothing to write home on.  I gave it 89 points, a friend 91 points.  I would rate my recommend buys above 91 points for many years forward.  

Thanks for the perspective, really appreciated. I'm experienced in rare single malts but a total Port Virgin

Will put up a photo of the Vintage Ports at my other residence next time I'm there.

Lots of older Grahams, Warre, Dow and something called a Porto de Silva?

How was the 1401?

The Taiwanese release Tun 7 is very good, but I didn't find it mind blowing...however I have to realise my standards of what I experience as great are fairly exceptional.

I have another one for sale

The 17 year old Sherry Oak is very good.

Favourite to date from this distillery is the Balvenie 30 vatting.

...must try the 40 sometime.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, StingMeadery said:

Lots of older Grahams, Warre, Dow and something called a Porto de Silva?

I believe the Silva ports are now known as Dalva in EMEA or Presidential in States.  They are known for Colheita and especially white colheita.

Cantina del Pino - Langhe Nebbiolo 2014 & Dolcetto d'Alba 2012 -

Enjoyed both very much, the dolcetto perhaps a bit leaner than I might expect from the varietal, but both nice expressions.

I think these will be on the upcoming Thanksgiving list.

LOL, you are single handedly making these even more rare.

Always a pleasure to see what rare gem you are enjoying.

If someone had to eat the last dodo ...I'd be there with the BBQ

• Like 1

Nice and cheap. J.F.K.'s favorite also Doc Holliday's and Abe Lincoln's. Cheap I mean 11 to 19 Dollars In

the U.S.A. . I got this bt. from a friend In the states. It"s the oldest Rye Whiskey still around .

It dates back to 1780 and officially disttiled since 1810. Not bad at all but who am I to say ??? Right ?

It's called,"Old Overholt " Rye Whiskey.

Guy

IMG_0426.JPG

• Like 1