What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, Lotusguy said:

Wasn't over the hill - just like me (it's my birth year).

e229f352a96eb7195f2ef26f948b7f38.jpg
0cc3fea7c0a08076fed0472c738396c2.jpg

Hard to find Washington St. wines that old.  Had plenty from CA that old that were still going strong.  For while I was a buying a lot of them, but my focused has changed.  It must've been an experience!

Hard to find Washington St. wines that old.  Had plenty from CA that old that were still going strong.  For while I was a buying a lot of them, but my focused has changed.  It must've been an experience!

It was interesting - the nose was like a port but the taste didn't have any of the expected sweetness whatsoever. Too bad it was my only bottle - I've been picking up bottles from my birth year as I come across them for reasonable prices so I rarely have more than one.

3 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

I've been picking up bottles from my birth year as I come across them for reasonable prices so I rarely have more than one.

1971 is a great vintage for Barolo and it's easy to find.  A Monfortino would be very special.

Drinking a Glen Moray Chardonnay Cask: for $39 CAD it’s the deal of the year, IMO. Going to run to the liquor store tomorrow to get another couple of bottles of the same and some of the port cask as well...

Not the best single malt in the world, but what a great value!

it was paired with a 1yo custom robusto from the Conde de Villanueva, which was also really good.

• Like 2

Had this the other day; a 2010 Allagash Black "Belgian Style Stout".  Tons of life after 7 years of aging in my cellar.  The alcohol felt like it separated from the beer when drinking.  It had an Eau de Vie flavor to the alcohol within the beer along with classic stout flavors.  Very interesting along with great bubbles and no indication that this beer was on its last legs.  I store these types of beer standing and so far so good.  I don't see any reason that this beer could age another 4-5 years.  I have 1-2 left and hopefully can wait it out for 10 year mark.  Will look to buy this beer again if I see them!

allagash_2010.jpg

• Like 2

5aad906c40bfe_2018-02-2513_14_35.thumb.jpg.ac7aae507cf56115e7901b64b5d37898.jpg

Bacardi Carta Fuego Red Spiced Rum Old-Fashioned Cocktail

5aad90705db20_2018-03-0119_36_47.thumb.jpg.90d2491cbd0426439e85d989371da771.jpg

Bloody Jasmine Cocktail made with Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz Gin

I really enjoyed making this one for the first time. Below are the ingredients and method...

INGREDIENTS

• 20mL Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz Gin
  • 20mL Campari
  • 20mL Dry Curacao (or any other orange liqueur, such as Cointreau)
  • 20mL fresh lemon juice
  • 1 dash of Regan’s Orange Bitters
  • Lemon twist for garnish

METHOD

Add ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a chilled coupette glass and garnish with a lemon twist.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 2:57 PM, Tave1225 said:

image.jpg

That's a great wine and you are drinking at a good phase; if not young.  Still could go another 5-10 year cellaring.  The lower end Meandro hits it plateau at 10 years, so this one should age longer.

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

That's a great wine and you are drinking at a good phase; if not young.  Still could go another 5-10 year cellaring.  The lower end Meandro hits it plateau at 10 years, so this one should age longer.

It’s was drinkly very well. Love the meandro. 1/4 of the price and a good wine. 

16 hours ago, Tave1225 said:

It’s was drinkly very well. Love the meandro. 1/4 of the price and a good wine. 

My local Costco had a run on the Meandro for a while, the 2007 vintage.  I was picking them up for like $22 a bottle.  I bought a lot of them, but down to my last 5-6 bottles.  

For basic Douro wines, 10 years is the plateau.  I have seen this across the board with Crasto, Altano, RP Duas Quintas, and a couple of others.