What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

34 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Sipping on a room temperature 2018 Dasani.  Purified.  Enhanced with minerals.  Mouthfeel is wet and cool.  Flavor is mostly neutral but there are notes of a mother's smile on a warm spring day.

thumbnail_IMG_7563 (1).jpg

Was 2018 a good year for Dasani? I’m letting my ‘18s sit a couple more years to settle before I crack them open. Rocks or neat? 

30 minutes ago, Markspring1978 said:

Was 2018 a good year for Dasani? I’m letting my ‘18s sit a couple more years to settle before I crack them open. Rocks or neat? 

Neat- from the bottle in fact.  No need for ice made from questionable water or residual dishwashing surfactant on the glass to foul the heavenly nature of this luxury water. 

I think the 2018's have peaked and are good to go now.  They pair well with La Flor De Cano Selectos, Party Shorts, Upmann Majestics, and a number of other C&Cs.  Alternatively, if it's a different appetite you aim to sate, the 2018 Dasani goes nicely with Lance Brand cheese crackers, Original Chex mix, or strawberry Nutrigrain bars.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I just saw this, been awhile since I last touched this bottle.

It was a really great dram, had sweetness and spice with a hit of smokeyness. I pulled the trigger earlier in the year on this bottle.

My first sitting I almost had half of it...was just a lovely smooth dram. No water needed imo.

I'm generally an Islay kinda guy but this Speyside was fantastic...a lovely gem and will be getting another bottle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Sorry I just saw this, been awhile since I last touched this bottle.

It was a really great dram, had sweetness and spice with a hit of smokeyness. I pulled the trigger earlier in the year on this bottle.

My first sitting I almost had half of it...was just a lovely smooth dram. No water needed imo.

I'm generally an Islay kinda guy but this Speyside was fantastic...a lovely gem and will be getting another bottle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Not sure what you had. No explanation in your post, and no picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My first taste of the new knob creek twice barreled rye limited release. It's very, very good. Extremely good pairing with the psd4!f85818c530f0243c806e33cfb135a33a.jpg

• Like 3

A friend game me a bottle of Shenk's to try tonight.  I've never heard of this before but I will be on the lookout now.  Very nice bottle of whiskey.20181206_173036.thumb.jpg.2ad1c352d47a4989a26837cd695b01e4.jpg

• Like 3

Drank both bottles with a friend last night, both were equally scored and enjoyed.  1960 Taylor is quite rare as well

1093464743_1960taylor.thumb.JPG.eff733f1733d00f4661ffedf5e3aa5ef.JPG
I know nothing about port, or wine for that matter. Why do you break the bottles, and how is it done?

5 hours ago, prodigy said:

I know nothing about port, or wine for that matter. Why do you break the bottles, and how is it done?

not sure how BC did it, no doubt he could advise. 

the theory is that for older bottles, the neck often was on an angle and not straight up/down so older corks would flare out. and likely to crumble with extreme age. it is usually done by heating what are called port tongs in a fire or wherever - they basically go around the neck and the heat cuts the neck so it comes out and you can then have the port sans any crumbly cork. i've not had any problems from ports back to the 60s but if you had concerns, this is the safe way to do it. very different to sabre'ing a champagne bottles, by the way.  

• Like 1

The bottles were broke with "port tongs".  This is done to preserve the cork.  After the neck has been cleaved off, a hammer is used to break the neck around the cork.  I don't use the tongs very often, but my friend wanted the 1960 Taylor cork since it's quite a rare vintage.  

Normally, we just extract the cork as a normal wine and if it breaks or crumbles, just push into the bottle since it's going to be decanted wither way.