What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Today consisted of glenmorangie nectar D'or, lagavulin 16, and Elijah Craig barrel proof. All spread out throughout the day. Tomorrow I'm just going to drink beer. New glarus spotted cow to be exact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 12/25/2018 at 11:52 PM, potpest said:

Had a 1985 Dom Perignon this morning

160a095ae19f4b818ea637d5410891c2.jpg

interested in thoughts. always a fave vintage. one of my three picks from the 80s, with 88 and 82. 

tried that wine recently, though it was in the form of the P3 so had an advantage. love to see an original bottle. 

Well done.  How was it?  Nice color.  Bit oxidized flavors?

interested in thoughts. always a fave vintage. one of my three picks from the 80s, with 88 and 82. 
tried that wine recently, though it was in the form of the P3 so had an advantage. love to see an original bottle. 

It was excellent. It was a slightly lighter colour than that 1st picture, another is below. I was suprised it still had some youth with good acidity and bubbles. It was the last of a 5 bottles of different vintage champagnes my dad was gifted and has had stashed away in his pantry for years. We had the 85 Krug last year; we all preferred the Dom Perignon.7da7298893409c5e722765ca0ce28739.jpg
  • Like 3

Got this today and couldn't wait, opened it, taste is delicious! Honey, sherry, and dried fruits all the way around. I am always surprised by what I will find at Costco.
20181227_163625.thumb.jpg.fd07a1eedcd59df08da68086477b36f0.jpg
I saw the 18 year for $50 but passed on it for a balvenie 12.

Just now, BrightonCorgi said:

Here's New Year's Eve wines.  It's hard to find stuff with ends in a "9". 

NYE 2018.JPG

89 bordeaux, 99 burgs?

that clos du val is one of the few Napa wines we've seen a lot of in australia - not so much now.

i'm sure you know but for those who might not, the chef de cave at lafite in bordeaux had two sons. they each headed off into the world to make wine where they wanted to (with the pedigree of a father who makes lafite, not hard to get support). bernard chose the napa - this winery - and dominique chose the pyrenees in victoria at taltarni. he set up dom portet winery in the yarra in 2000 with his son ben (interestingly, i could see no mention at all of him on the taltarni website). ben is a cracking winemaker. 

i think it must have been dominique who brought in the clos du val wines here. 

Opened the 18 year while watching Clemson school Alabama last night. It was smooooooth.......
20190107_191854.thumb.jpg.842fdcf0579a83aa156fbb9d3c3a304d.jpg
I had a chance to get one but I opted for the balvenie 12 double wood instead.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, encephalization said:

A friend brought over this tonight. Ashamed to admit that I've never heard about it but very enjoyable.18339e358041512f2190d5851d3f0430.jpg

glen garioch is a highly regarded distillery (or was - not sure if it is now a ghost distillery or not).

this is something i did on one of the whiskies that came from it - can't object to a whisky named Brisbane!! more here - https://www.fusionwhisky.com/brisbane-whisky/.

rather a weird combo of distilleries. 

“The Brisbane”. It is one of a series, so can also include the others, of tributes to Scots around the world and which looks to blend whiskey/whisky from Scotland and the relevant country. So there has also been a Japanese one. The Brisbane celebrates Sir Thomas Makdougall Brisbane, the Scottish general and astronomer who served as governor of New South Wales between 1821 to 1825 (prohibition on distilling in the colony was even lifted during his tenure). So includes malt from Scotland and whisky from Starward distillery in Melbourne.

He has a crater on the moon named after him. And one of Australia's great cities. He was a close friend of the Duke of Wellington and, after joining the military at the age of 16, served in the West Indies, Ireland, America, India and throughout Europe. Fascinated by the stars, he built one of Scotland’s earliest observatories, and personally funded the Parramatta Observatory in NSW. In 1821, he took over from Lachlan Macquarie as Governor of the Colony of New South Wales, working hard to improve the young settlement. And now, the Scottish soldier, Sir Thomas Makdougall Brisbane, has a whisky as well.

‘The Brisbane’ is the Fourth in the intriguing series of Fusion Whiskies, a concept established originally in Edinburgh to celebrate the links between Scotland and other nations, and especially to commemorate role played by famous Scots in the history of those countries.

The first, the ‘Glover’ (there is a series of these), was a tribute to Thomas Glover, who played a key role in the early days of trade with Japan. The ‘Kincardine’ acknowledges the “Walking Viceroy” Victor Bruce, who worked tirelessly in India. ‘The Winter Queen’, the third in the series, recognises the legacy of the Scottish princess, Elizabeth Stuart, who spent most of her life in The Hague/Netherlands.

In each case, whisky from Scotland was blended with whiskey from the nation to which the tribute is offered. Production varies considerably. A unique concept and a brilliant one.

‘The Brisbane’ is a blend of two sherry hogsheads distilled at Glen Garioch in the Highlands, a portion from another sherry butt distilled at Glen Grant and three ex-Apera casks (apera is our name for what was once known as sherry) distilled at the Starward Distillery in Melbourne. Only 932 bottles were produced, as a five-year-old malt, at 57.5%.

A lovely tribute to the man who oversaw the repeal of an early attempt at prohibition in the Colony.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

glen garioch is a highly regarded distillery (or was - not sure if it is now a ghost distillery or not).

Thanks Ken, great read. Doubt I'll ever get to try the Brisbane but Apera sounds very interesting (especially casks for whisky aging).

20 minutes ago, encephalization said:

Thanks Ken, great read. Doubt I'll ever get to try the Brisbane but Apera sounds very interesting (especially casks for whisky aging).

it is a silly name but when we were no longer able to use the name sherry (i'm strongly in favour of us not using most of the european names, such as champagne, hermitage, burgundy, but there are others that seem a more clouded picture, such as sherry/apera, and yet others that are just a debate because of conduct nothing less than deceitful - prosecco, for example). not sure what else we could have called it. our sherry/apera/port barrels not often used for ageing spirits but i think you'll see more of it. 

On 1/19/2019 at 2:24 AM, Ken Gargett said:

I believe it shut in late '95, but opened again in '97.. I've heard that early 90's Glen Garioch is usually very characterful distillate and worth seeking out from the indie bottlers, although I do enjoy the newer official bottlings (the 12yo in particular, I'd avoid the Founder's Reserve).

12 hours ago, BenW said:

I believe it shut in late '95, but opened again in '97.. I've heard that early 90's Glen Garioch is usually very characterful distillate and worth seeking out from the indie bottlers, although I do enjoy the newer official bottlings (the 12yo in particular, I'd avoid the Founder's Reserve).

just discovered that it was also one of the very few products (13 in 9 years) offered by the Last Drop Spirits company. about ten years ago, they released the 1967 Glen Garioch Single Malt. a total of 118 bottles. there are some still available but they come in around $8000 to $9000. 

• 2 weeks later...