What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

Pine in a NEIPA? Blasphemy. That's just a west coast ipa with clouds... seriously looks like a good one though. As a homebrewer I been trying to perfect this style without making a starch bomb. It's a difficult craft.

This one is a DIPA. Says on bottom of the can. You have to look close but most beers they make “look “ like NEIPA’s. Seems like hop butcher is jumping in the NEIPA “look” almost all the way. They brew from 1-3 a week now. Have ramped up their production a lot. Used to be about 1-3 every 3/4 weeks. They actually were renting space at breweries at first and now seem to have purchased/leased a smaller space to perfect their craft. In general their flavors are super fresh, juicy, melon, citrus, stone fruit and tropical. They also add lactose and hop oils in certain ones. This one and a few more have some pine notes in them Which i like personally; tastes more like a “beer”. If this makes sense ? Never a mention of IBU’s they seem to be brewing for flavors and smoothness as opposed to older school of thought towards bitter hop forward flavors.
The craze is real here in Chicago literally must purchase within 2-3 hours of delivery to get your hands on them.
I would say by far the best line up of beer going in the Midwest that I can source. Limit 1 four pack per person and usually each one is brewed about every 8 months. So if u love it you have to wait to get it again.
Great business plan to create a want and desire.
I can’t speak in brewing b/c That’s not my skill set but I trust your expertise. I have had many that want this taste but can’t reach it.
If u achieve it send samples please
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

On 6/13/2019 at 9:04 PM, BoliDan said:

Red Sox vs Rangers and a simple Beam old fashioned.

I prefer using "accessible" bourbons for my Old Fashioneds as well.  Just switched from Beam to Evan Williams Black, and I've been extremely impressed.  Such a good value.  

I also do a similar setup with the Braves, but I just listen to the radio broadcast on the MLB app.  Baseball and cigars are such a good pairing!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CampDelta369 said:

Solid Burgundy. A bit young but it was perfect with .... yes, grilled duck breast.

cheers

378EEA1E-AC8C-4CFF-BDF3-087EA0662B57.jpeg

Camp, your avatar creeps me the f out every time I see it. Mmm red is the only way to go with duck. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

Camp, your avatar creeps me the f out every time I see it. Mmm red is the only way to go with duck. 

You’re right, it is creepy. Marionettes and Puppets do that. I was going to change it up soon to something more soothing but haven’t got around to it. Yet.

La Frog Quarter Cask. This was finished in quarter-barrels of new oak. The idea is to get the volume of whisky smaller and hence have more exposure to the oak. At 48% it is quite soft. The oak is present and seems to quell the punch of laphroaig's normally pungent peat. Flavors of caramel, floral oak, and coal pit bbq dominate the finish. Good stuff, but not as good as the Cask Strength, IMHO.

20190618_191717.thumb.jpg.7da752a669134e87a7190b90e0e79cea.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, BoliDan said:

La Frog Quarter Cask. This was finished in quarter-barrels of new oak. The idea is to get the volume of whisky smaller and hence have more exposure to the oak. At 48% it is quite soft. The oak is present and seems to quell the punch of laphroaig's normally pungent peat. Flavors of caramel, floral oak, and coal pit bbq dominate the finish. Good stuff, but not as good as the Cask Strength, IMHO.

20190618_191717.thumb.jpg.7da752a669134e87a7190b90e0e79cea.jpg

I am looking to pick up a bottle of Frog. I had that triple wood and I was reminded about this peat thing. Is the Cask Strength way to go?

Ok, probably a bit more information than you want here:

To me, yes. It is ~56%, which is a lot of percent, but you'll be surprised how mellow it actually is. The current batch available is 010 (it will say so on the tube), and it is fantastic. Possibly the best batch in the past 5 years. I think it made Whiskey Advocates #7 spot for 2018, if that even has any meaning anymore. Triple wood is actually a mild peat, IMO so CS would really kick it up a notch. I actually suggest Talisker 10 year or Distillery Edition to people that are new to peat. Those are Sherry Cask aged, so take a more fruity/nutty route. Laphroaig uses ex-bourbon casks and up the smoke to volume 11. So, if you like the peat and softer flavors of bourbon barrel, Heck yes, Cask Strength.

• Thanks 1

Hop butcher “America The Beautiful “ canned 6/19/19; yesterday for anyone  whose paying attention, lol. 1776 never 4get stamp .

smell is mild dank and ripe citrus 

taste is typical pale ale but maybe a little lighter and bitter like an West coast IPA. It does have some mango ? and stone fruit flavor but mostly malt backbone more of a true pale ale  

???? our of ????? need to come back with some haze bombs soon  

552A2C66-E81C-4294-9396-A61279BE9DA6.thumb.jpeg.c1e737c7cc1b9f16da0a0eddf073554a.jpegE3D7A6C9-1334-47C9-BFC2-DDA36ADCC051.thumb.jpeg.435acea9c086ea34cd0c4bd569b19912.jpegD20F03F2-D17D-4A5B-8845-AFA3C2D4FB7E.thumb.jpeg.974e1e9753c123b0f87d2cf1948ec556.jpeg

• Like 4

Hop butcher “Odin’s breath” colab with Madtree. Canned 6/18/19 stamped slippy the slipper.

smell is orange creamsicle and super ripe pineapple.

taste is super sweet pineapple and cream at the end you can taste the pine but it’s a sweet pine  pretty sweet tasting but is 8.25% has some liquor in it but the sweetness manages to fool you.. at least me in a thirsty Thursday. 

???? out  of ????? again. Not bad not great I still say time for their stand alone haze not much better out there than that.

B9453060-1DE7-4802-9B97-95650095DB68.thumb.jpeg.cbe609a8d24bff3dd68cd70812096dc8.jpegD6CDEB99-6827-4C51-8E37-E8852963091D.thumb.jpeg.2cb7b6c904361ced3889ab66f4b9abd6.jpeg4AD1565A-B0E5-4008-ABE0-CD4A3A15DC6B.thumb.jpeg.d5a22a9ae7c6a9c05edb6c3bf508440f.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm a sucker...

The owner of this was in the store. He approached me with the first batch of his product. I'm a sucker for supporting local business, and I could tell distilling is this guys dream. 95% rye bill, finished in Aspen cask. Aspen is an aromatic wood. I would actually place it as a distant cousin of pine. Unfortunately, not a fan and I'm not sure if theres much of an audience for it. I need to splash some bitters to cut the flavor of this perfumey wood. Shame for a $60 bottle. I'm open to suggestions to cut with anything other than bitters, if you got a tactic.

20190620_190600.thumb.jpg.958d36decf6420bcf1683e1ae0fe16fa.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Something new this evening. Lots of brown sugar, caramel, and oak on the nose. 

IMG_20190619_213154_176.thumb.jpg.42037fe20b446cc2c8e179eb7c16dbd8.jpg

Had some on Wed......really good inexpensive bourbon imo. 

• Like 2

I'm a sucker...

The owner of this was in the store. He approached me with the first batch of his product. I'm a sucker for supporting local business, and I could tell distilling is this guys dream. 95% rye bill, finished in Aspen cask. Aspen is an aromatic wood. I would actually place it as a distant cousin of pine. Unfortunately, not a fan and I'm not sure if theres much of an audience for it

not a sucker. Good intentions are always a good thing. Blessings will continue to come your way !

10 hours ago, BoliDan said:

I'm a sucker...

The owner of this was in the store. He approached me with the first batch of his product. I'm a sucker for supporting local business, and I could tell distilling is this guys dream. 95% rye bill, finished in Aspen cask. Aspen is an aromatic wood. I would actually place it as a distant cousin of pine. Unfortunately, not a fan and I'm not sure if theres much of an audience for it. I need to splash some bitters to cut the flavor of this perfumey wood. Shame for a $60 bottle. I'm open to suggestions to cut with anything other than bitters, if you got a tactic.

20190620_190600.thumb.jpg.958d36decf6420bcf1683e1ae0fe16fa.jpg

Coke Zero?

• Thanks 1

There is something about a good Burgundy that’s sublime. The nose on this young SLB is stunning for a $40 bottle. Cherries, Strawberries, underbrush, game meats, herbs. This ain’t your sisters Pinot Noir. 

E510A3A5-5755-4CC4-9E4D-F3C7F0004406.jpeg

• Like 4

On 6/22/2019 at 4:06 PM, BoliDan said:

Love this stuff. Looking for a rye that is rough around the edges (not hot, just an angry grain bill), spicy with cherry, the way American rye used to be? This is my recommendation. My grandfather was a bootlegger in AL, in prohibition, and made stuff similar. This is smoother (from what I recall) but the taste is still there.

20190622_141339.thumb.jpg.4dfc98fb3b9201ed799532d3143f638b.jpg

Now we talking! I’m looking for a straight up rye. One reason I like the grain, it’s a bit nasty. Haven’t tried Redemption yet. 

8 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

This evening's pour:

20190625_200209.thumb.jpg.d108efdbcf5e5e594566e7ce909e78d3.jpg

We've been over this, but SO GOOD!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 11:13 PM, CampDelta369 said:

There is something about a good Burgundy that’s sublime. The nose on this young SLB is stunning for a $40 bottle. Cherries, Strawberries, underbrush, game meats, herbs. This ain’t your sisters Pinot Noir. 

E510A3A5-5755-4CC4-9E4D-F3C7F0004406.jpeg

Of all the wines I've tasted in my life, I've never had the privilege to try red Burgundy, I've had a few white Burgs but never red. Is it very different from American Pinot Noir?

Different on many levels. I love a good white Burgundy as well. I consider it a treat since it is much more costly than a sauvignon blanc or sancerre. The good red bourgognes are the same, they cost more than most comparable Pinot noir. Its a habit i do not recommend for that reason, but it is fun hunting. I really like the Burgundy that expresses earth, and gaminess. The best evolve in the glass and aging is required. This one was very young and shows good promise. Finding an excellent Burgundy for <$50USD can be challenging. Just like CCs, if i find a wine with my favorite profile i will buy a case and lay it down.

• Like 2

You will NEVER go wrong with New Glarus! Love me my New Glarus! 

Agreed. Lots of spotted cows and moon mans in my future.

• Like 1