STUFF: News, Technology, the cool and the plain weird

Mercedes G-Class Brabus Adventure

Mercedes G-Class Brabus Adventure | Image

Brabus are renown for transforming production cars and trucks into powerhouses. This time around they have applied their magic on the already potent G-Class, creating an even more rugged version, with more power and even more off-roading ability. Brabus have introduced an exclusive off-road package for all models of the current Mercedes G-Class, making it ready to explore. The adventure package increases the maximum output by 43 hp to a total of 326 hp, and by 44 lb-ft of torque, to a total of 509 lb-ft torque, and the top speed increases to 202 km/h (126 mph). The "adventure" part of the package refers to the height-adjustable suspension lifting (1.6 inches) for that extra ground clearance, fender flares, a new fascia, brush guard with winch, carbon skid plates, a carbon hood attachment, a wind deflector, a luggage rack, a wind deflector above the windshield, four LED auxiliary lights, beefy air intakes, a ladder, a spare wheel cover made out of carbon fiber and aftermarket 20-inch wheels with 285/55 R20 off-road tires. Finally, the interior is modified as well with quilted fine leather and Alcantara appointments, aluminum trim, and many other goodies. This package turns the G-Class into an incredible mean machine built for rough terrain.

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-2.jpg | Image

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-3.jpg | Image

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-4.jpg | Image

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-5.jpg | Image

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-6.jpg

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-7.jpg

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-8.jpg

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-9.jpg

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-10.jpg

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-11.jpg

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-12.jpg

mercedes-g-class-brabus-adventure-13.jpg

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many thanks  Yes, I think I started F1 back in 2009 so there's been one since then.  How time flies! I enjoy both threads, sometimes it's taxing though. Let's see how we go for this year   I

STYLIST GIVES FREE HAIRCUTS TO HOMELESS IN NEW YORK Most people spend their days off relaxing, catching up on much needed rest and sleep – but not Mark Bustos. The New York based hair stylist spend

Truly amazing place. One of my more memorable trips! Perito Moreno is one of the few glaciers actually still advancing versus receding though there's a lot less snow than 10 years ago..... Definit

Apple AirPods Pro 

Apple AirPods Pro | Image

After months of rumors, Apple have finally introduced the all-new AirPods Pro with noise cancellation and hands-free access to Siri. The premium earbuds are set for release on October 30th, and will offer superior sound quality thanks to a feature called "Adaptive EQ” that automatically tunes music to the shape of your ear. Another cool feature is the transparency mode that will let you hear your surroundings while wearing them. But perhaps the biggest addition here is active noise cancellation (ANC), they have built microphones that detect external sound, and the earbuds then cancel it out. AirPods Pro now offer a more customizable fit with three sizes of flexible silicone tips to choose from, creating an exceptional seal for superior noise cancellation.

airpods-pro-1.jpg | Image

airpods-pro-2.jpg | Image

airpods-pro-3.jpg | Image

airpods-pro-4.jpg | Image

airpods-pro-5.jpg

Reports: Andy Serkis And Colin Farrell Could Be Batman's New Alfred And Penguin

htdqoybfhq4mato21os2.jpg

The Bat has his cat. He has his commissioner. He has an enigma. And now, he has someone to serve droll wit and excellent tea, and a fishy new foe.

First reported by The Wrap (followed up by similar murmers from Variety and THR), Andy Serkis, best known for coveting jewellery in lyrca suits covered in bobbles—and also Star Wars and Black Panther, I guess—has entered talks to play Alfred Pennyworth in Matt Reeves’ upcoming Batman solo movie. Former SAS turned loyal ally of the Wayne family, Alfred is of course Bruce’s closest confidant in his life as Batman, safeguarding the Wayne estate and providing support from the Batcave while Bruce dons his cowl and goes out cruising for bat-bruisings in the dark alleyways of Gotham City. He’s been played by everyone from Jeremy Irons to Alan Napier, and half of Britain’s older acting generations in between.

As if that wasn’t enough Batman news for you, Deadline also adds that Colin Farrell will step in the spats of Oswald Cobblepot, the seedy mobster known alternatively as The Penguin. It’s long been rumoured that Penguin would be a major foe in Reeves’ take on the Dark Knight, with early casting rumours suggesting that Jonah Hill was potentially up for either the role of Penguin or Riddler, before backing out entirely.

Say what you will about the prospects of yet another Batman reboot on the horizon, but the casting for Reeves’ movie so far has been very interesting. We’ll bring you more on his plans for Gotham City as we learn them.

The Comprehensive Story Of The Indy 500 Secret That Became A Legend

bef9nvjhia4ijkxsw6t7.jpg

Imagine a racing program kept so silent that not even motorsport’s most inquiring minds would be able to figure it out. No leaked information, no teasers, no slip-of-the-lip. Dead silence until one month before the biggest racing event of the year. That could never happen in this modern era. But Penske, Ilmor and Mercedes pulled it off in the early 90s in order to produce one of the most unprecedented Indianapolis 500 entries of all time.

Today in great car reads, we’re looking at Beast by Jade Gurss, the story of the top-secret Ilmor-Penske engine that absolutely astonished the world at the 1994 Indianapolis 500.

hwoanss5aaouwmvvu3dy.jpg

It all has to do with a little stipulation in the rules governing the 500. At that time, the oldest race in the world was sanctioned by the United States Auto Club, or USAC. To put it pretty simply, USAC allowed two different engine types to be used in the 500: a purpose-built overhead cam turbocharged V8, or a stock block engine with pushrods and rocker arms. But Roger Penske (now owner of Indy, both Car and 500) noticed that, ahead of the 1994 Indy 500, something had changed.

“Stock block” was no longer part of the pushrod engine rules. That meant he, along with Paul Morgan and Mario Illien of Ilmor engines could team up to produce a purpose-built pushrod engine. And they would do it in less than a year to make sure no one else would get there first.

Most race engines take way longer to develop, produce, and test. We’re talking a nine-month build process before you even get a car on track. And the Ilmor team—who later badged their engines as Mercedes when Penske’s previous engine sponsor, GM, backed out of the deal—managed to pull it off.

Gurss does a damn good job with the information here. He had no hand in the actual production of the engine in question but had heard stories about it from coworkers throughout his career. Anyone who had had even a minor part to play in the project looked back at that time with fondness and possessed a hell of a lot of great stories to share. Gurss decided to take all that information and make it into a book.

He relies on firsthand accounts from countless people involved: chief designer Nigel Bennett, Ilmor designer and engineer Alan Cook, Penske mechanic John Cummiskey, and more. Every single person on the project was sworn to secrecy, unable to even go home and tell their spouse about it. They were expected to put in long hours (some worked for Ilmor’s main Indy engine project during the day, with the surprise Indy engine being tackled once the main employees went home for the night).

Many were fresh college graduates with a passion for motorsport. Most were given a single engine component to design or manufacture. And because everyone was doing it all at once, and on such a tight schedule, there was no guarantee things would actually come together in a way that made sense. It’s fun hearing about those experiences in retrospect—the confusion, anxiety, but overall pleasure at being part of something so important.

The only issue I had with this book was, coincidentally, part of what makes it so great. There are tons of firsthand accounts sliced up and pieced together where necessary. It’s great in that it offers a comprehensive picture of all aspects of the project—but there are so many names that it’s easy to get lost and confused and forget who everyone is. There’s a handy ‘cast of characters’ at the end of the book that I referred to constantly during the four days I took to read the whole book. But I very desperately hate having to take myself out of a fast-flowing narrative to refer to notes or names in the appendix.

Even the technical details didn’t throw me off, and I can go a little glass-eyed when things get too dense. Gurss knows how to write in such a way that you just get it. At one point, he compares the difference between the pushrod and the overhead cam engines as the difference between eating with chopsticks and eating with a fork (i.e. one takes far more balance and skill than the other). His descriptions are clever, ensuring that anyone could pick up this book and have a complete grasp on its contents.

That said, it was one hell of a ride. Gurss’ prose style is madly gripping and emotional, so that it feels like you’re part of it—an impressive feat for a writer who wasn’t even there! When parts of the engine fail at the very last second, I was sitting there holding my breath, a ball of dread in my stomach. When all three Penskes were absolutely killing it in Indy 500 practice, I was hyped enough that I was smiling.

Buffalo Trace Releases A 1994 Vintage Old Fashion Copper Bourbon

Featured Image

Dating all the way back to 1773, Kentucky’s Buffalo Trace is one of the most celebrated distilleries on the planet, having won more than 500 awards including recent “2nd and 3rd finest whiskeys in the world” titles. The latest liquid-gem to come from the renowned Frankfort-based operation is their O.F.C. (Old Fashion Copper) 1994 Vintage Bourbon. To convey just how long this ultra-fine Bourbon has been aging; when this wildly-elite whiskey was distilled a quarter-of-a-century-ago, the internet was in its infancy, Grunge was dominating the fashion world, and the billboard charts were occupied by the likes of Celine Dion, Ace of Base, and Boyz II Men.

In 2016, BTD released a trio of Bourbons with vintages from ’85, ’89, and ’90, which were auctioned off for charity and brought in well over $1M. Unlike those ridiculously prestigious bottles, the new ’94 run is being made available to the general public with 1,085 1994 O.F.C. Vintage Bourbon units up for grabs at a cost of $2,500 apiece. The world-class Bourbon whiskey reportedly carries notes of cherry, brown sugar, and butterscotch on the nose, followed by a toasted caramel, cinnamon, and oak body with a hint of coffee and herbs in the finish. Just like with previous O.F.C. Vintage releases, this 1994 Bourbon comes in a crystal bottle — decorated with real inlaid copper lettering and a hand-applied and individually-numbered label — housed in a polished rotating cylindrical woodgrain display box that also features a provenance card.

Vortic’s Military Edition Watches Are Made From Authentic WWII Variants

Featured Image

When it comes to the industry’s finest military-inspired gear, a handful of examples are just that — military “inspired.” It’s not often that a company goes out of its way to procure the real thing. Luckily, Vortic has an eye for historic timepieces, reclaiming, and reconstituting a selection of vintage variants for its newest “Military Edition” lineup.

At the start of World War II, the AN5740-1 pocket watch was issued to soldiers to keep track of time while in the field. When it debuted, three of the era’s most prolific watchmakers were approached to manufacture the example — Elgin, Waltham, and Hamilton — all of which were contracted to create their own unique timekeeper. Now, in an attempt to revive the iconic military device, Vortic has secured 50 authentic items to be put through the company’s stringent restoration process. Each AN5740-1 watch will be outfitted with a precision-cut 49mm titanium case and restored movement, bringing them back to their former glory. On the watch’s exterior, custom, handcrafted glass from White’s Crystal has been implemented to keep its internal components visible and safe, while a transparent Corning Gorilla Glass case back allows for a mesmerizing view of the wristwear’s complex inner workings. To round things out, you’ll be able to choose a strap that’s been crafted from either vintage canvas duffles or a repurposed service uniform. Each of the limited-to-50 examples will retail for $4,995.

Vortic-Military-Edition-Watches-1.jpg

Vortic-Military-Edition-Watches-2.jpg

Vortic-Military-Edition-Watches-3.jpg

Vortic-Military-Edition-Watches-4.jpg

Vortic-Military-Edition-Watches-5.jpg

Solidify Your Score With Razer’s Android-Ready Junglecat Gaming Controller

Featured Image

Turning your current-gen smartphone into an all-encompassing gaming rig isn’t something new; in fact, renowned companies like Razer have been releasing adaptable gear for the industry’s most capable variants for years. Now, to bolster their catalog for the holiday season, the lauded peripheral company has announced the Junglecat — a modular dual-sided controller that’s been optimized to take your Android device to the next level.

The Junglecat arrives just in time for Christmas, and to the chagrin of your online opponents, it brings console-like controller performance to the realm of handheld devices. The peripheral’s sleek, shadowy design is characteristically Razer and calls upon a set of twin analog thumbsticks and bumper buttons to keep you at the top of your game. You’ll be able to dominate the battlefield with a slew of preset control profiles or custom button layouts, and take advantage of the device’s desirable low-latency connection, Bluetooth connectivity, and sensitivity adjustment function on your favorite Android devices. But the $99 Junglecat is far more versatile than it may seem; it also allows you to practice your precision and accuracy on, and off, of your smartphone, converting into a standalone controller that pairs with other Android devices and Windows PCs when you’re not on-the-go. Head to Razer’s website for more information. $99

Razer-Junglecat-Android-Gaming-Controller-1.jpg

Razer-Junglecat-Android-Gaming-Controller-2.jpg

Razer-Junglecat-Android-Gaming-Controller-4.jpg

Dawson Lake Tree Houses

dawson-lake-tree-houses-1-thumb-960xauto-107167.jpg

Nicknamed "Wild and Wonderful," West Virginia's landscapes are just that and the Dawson Lake Tree Houses are designed to highlight them. The collection of sustainable cabins are perched above Dawson Lake — a 40-foot lake surrounded by meadows, streams, and wetlands. Nestled in the wooded hillside, their steeped roofs and timber cladding take cues from the neighboring fir and larch trees. Interiors are a minimalist refuge featuring a lounge area, a sleeping loft, and floor-to-ceiling glazing to immerse guests in the rugged scenery. To respect the protected land and native species, the structures are expected to meet the net-zero energy and environmental impact guidelines.

dawson-lake-tree-houses-2-thumb-960xauto-107170.jpg

dawson-lake-tree-houses-3-thumb-960xauto-107168.jpg

dawson-lake-tree-houses-4-thumb-960xauto-107169.jpg

37 minutes ago, MIKA27 said:

Reports: Andy Serkis And Colin Farrell Could Be Batman's New Alfred And Penguin

htdqoybfhq4mato21os2.jpg

The Bat has his cat. He has his commissioner. He has an enigma. And now, he has someone to serve droll wit and excellent tea, and a fishy new foe.

First reported by The Wrap (followed up by similar murmers from Variety and THR), Andy Serkis, best known for coveting jewellery in lyrca suits covered in bobbles—and also Star Wars and Black Panther, I guess—has entered talks to play Alfred Pennyworth in Matt Reeves’ upcoming Batman solo movie. Former SAS turned loyal ally of the Wayne family, Alfred is of course Bruce’s closest confidant in his life as Batman, safeguarding the Wayne estate and providing support from the Batcave while Bruce dons his cowl and goes out cruising for bat-bruisings in the dark alleyways of Gotham City. He’s been played by everyone from Jeremy Irons to Alan Napier, and half of Britain’s older acting generations in between.

As if that wasn’t enough Batman news for you, Deadline also adds that Colin Farrell will step in the spats of Oswald Cobblepot, the seedy mobster known alternatively as The Penguin. It’s long been rumoured that Penguin would be a major foe in Reeves’ take on the Dark Knight, with early casting rumours suggesting that Jonah Hill was potentially up for either the role of Penguin or Riddler, before backing out entirely.

Say what you will about the prospects of yet another Batman reboot on the horizon, but the casting for Reeves’ movie so far has been very interesting. We’ll bring you more on his plans for Gotham City as we learn them.

Well, that kills it for me. You have Gollum playing butler to a sparkly vampire (probably the main reason why this Batman fights crime only at night). To be completely honest, I wouldn't have watched it any way. As soon as they said Robert Pattinson was going to be Batman, I walked off back to the MCU. So many DC characters to play with, and yet they keep coming back to the Bat, with another ill-cast actor.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the Bat or DCU, they just got to get some things right:

• Good Actors
  • Good Script
  • Good Director

When they get it right, it is quite good and even better than MCU - Like Wonder Woman, Superman. Aquaman was actually enjoyable. I liked Christian Bale as Batman. 

The problem is when DCU gets it wrong, it is sooooo wrong. 

3 hours ago, jay8354 said:

• Good Actors
  • Good Script
  • Good Director

When they get it right, it is quite good and even better than MCU - Like Wonder Woman, Superman. Aquaman was actually enjoyable. I liked Christian Bale as Batman. 

I agree on all the above points.

I'm a huge Batman fan but they need to cast this right from the get go. I am so unhappy they chose Pattinson. So...so....unhappy.

4 hours ago, jay8354 said:

• Good Actors
  • Good Script
  • Good Director

Superman? Please. Man of Steel and BvS are almost as bad Superman Returns. To keep it brief and not get into everything wrong with both, I will pick out one.... flying dildos.

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Superman? Please. Man of Steel and BvS are almost as bad Superman Returns. To keep it brief and not get into everything wrong with both, I will pick out one.... flying dildos.

Damn you @fuzz !! :D

To think I forgot about Superman returns after spending $100K on therapy only to have you bring "That movie" up.... Unforgivable 

A ‘Kung Fu’ Reboot Is Coming to The CW from Greg Berlanti and Christina M. Kim

kung-fu-david-carradine-slice

From 1972-1975, Western audiences fell in love with a TV show that blended Western tropes with Eastern kung fu action sequences and philosophies. It was called, appropriately, Kung Fu, and it made a star out of David Carradine — he’s the title role in Kill Bill partially because of Quentin Tarantino‘s desire to reference such an important show in martial arts history. However, as you might expect about a martial arts-centered show starring a white guy as a Chinese Shaolin monk, it has aged a little problematically. Now, mega-producers Greg Berlanti (the Arrowverse) and Christina M. Kim (Blindspot) are rebooting the show for The CW — with a decidedly modern twist.

As reported by The Hollywood Reporter, the new Kung Fu was originally developed for Fox before moving to The CW and getting scooped up by Kim and Berlanti. Kim will co-write the pilot script alongside Blindspot creator Martin Gero. The two Blindspot colleagues have a lot of experience crafting female-centered action thrillers for television, and it sounds like the new Kung Fu will follow in those footsteps. Its main character will be a Chinese-American woman who travels to a monastery in China to try and find herself after dropping out of college. She then finds herself drawn into an underworld of conspiracies, vendettas, and martial arts action as her hometown is overrun with criminals. She uses her skills to fight for what’s right — while trying to find the assassin who killed her mentor.

kung-fu-david-carradine-keye-luke

I shan’t mince words: This sounds dope as hell. If there are two things I like, it’s One: Watching martial arts action on screen and Two: Strides being made toward equal representation in the media. By centering the action of Kung Fu on an authentically Chinese character, while still maintaining the mythologies and pleasures of the original series, Kim, Berlanti, and Gero will likely have quite the action series on their hands. And if it takes them more than one episode to find their feeting, then we must have patience, grasshopper.

Lovecraft Goes Full Nicolas Cage in the First ‘Color Out of Space’ Trailer

Hold on to your squamous butts, because the first trailer for Color Out of Space is here and it’s packing a nuclear-grade dose of Lovecraftian nightmare fuel. Without a doubt one of the weirdest movies headed to theaters next year, Color Out of Space sees Hardware and Dust Devil director Richard Stanley making his return to filmmaking after his famously horrid experiences on The Island of Doctor Moreau almost put him off it for good. And what a grand return it is.

The film stars Nicolas Cage as Nathan Gardner, a man who finds his family, his home, and his life transformed into an unspeakable nightmare when a meteorite crashes into his front yard and brings a mutative alien organism with it. Joely Richardson, Madeleine Arthur, Brendan Meyer, Julian Hilliard, Elliot Knight with Q’Orianka Kilcher and Tommy Chong also star.

I caught Color Out of Space at Fantastic Fest, and let me tell you in the elegant critical prose of our time — it whips an unbelievable amount of ass. Lovecraft adaptations have proven almost impossibly difficult on film. There’s something about the concept of cosmic cruel indifference and the unknowability of the universe’s expanse that doesn’t quite translate from words to images. But I’ll be damned if Stanley didn’t hit the nail right on the tentacle because Color Out of Space is a brutal, horrific and hideously grotesque film in all the right ways. It’s also absolutely bat shit, with Cage doing one of his epically operatic turns toward madness and some absolutely ungodly body horror that will make you want to run to the phone and call your mom.

The film arrives in theaters on January 24, 2020.

MIKA: This is from the same producer who made Mandy and I don't know why people made a big deal of it, It was weird as hell and I hated it.

I have a feeling this too will be like some acid trip we hear about from the people back in the 60's. If so, not for me. Does look interesting.

4 hours ago, MIKA27 said:

Damn you @fuzz !! :D

To think I forgot about Superman returns after spending $100K on therapy only to have you bring "That movie" up.... Unforgivable 

Only $100k? I have a worse movie for you. Here's a hint.... bat nipples.

In The Invisible Man Trailer, Elisabeth Moss Is Haunted By An Abusive Gaslighter

We only just learned how all too grimly real Leigh Whannell’s take on The Invisible Man was going to be. Now we’ve seen it in action, and it’s exactly as bleak as we were expecting.

Universal has dropped the first trailer for the Blumhouse-produced The Invisible Man, which is... well, kinda sorta still part of whatever remains of the ashes of the Universal Monsters’ Dark Universe? Anyway, none of that really matters any more.

What matters is that Elisabeth Moss is here to be slowly driven insane by her abusive ex-husband turning invisible and being a nightmarishly creepy arsehole in this trailer, and it is really uncomfortably unnerving.

The Invisible Man follows Cecilia Kass (Moss), as she attempts to leave her violent and controlling abusive husband, Adrian (The Haunting of Hill House’s Oliver Jackson-Cohen). After learning he’s seemingly committed suicide and left her millions of dollars earned from his scientific career—but only if she remains mentally sound—Cecilia begins to suspect more foul play, even before she discovers that Adrian is not quite as dead as everyone keeps telling her he is.

It’s hard to deny that this re-interpretation isn’t immediately effective in the trailer—the moments Moss’ invisible predator stalks her with a chilled breath here or a handprint on a shower window there are genuinely gutwrenching. But it’ll be interesting how the film handles these themes of domestic abuse as it progresses from the opening phases of Moss’ character thinking she’s going insane to, well, the more “typical” horror movie moments of being pursued by her titular former husband. As typical as abusive invisible creeps can be, that is.

We’ll have to wait and see—The Invisible Man hits U.S. theatres February 28, 2020. An Australian release date is yet to be confirmed.

Boeing Reveals Its Proposed Lander For NASA's 2024 Moon Mission

ghowf1wzudxk2xjuojds.jpg

Boeing has submitted its proposal to NASA for a lunar lander concept that the company claims will return Americans to the Moon in 2024 with the “fewest steps” possible.

Under orders from President Trump, NASA is working to deliver American astronauts to the Moon by 2024. Since late September, the space agency has been soliciting proposals for a human lunar lander system to be used in this program, called Artemis.

To date, NASA has received one formal proposal, namely a pitch from a collaboration consisting of Jeff Bezos’s Blue Origin, Lockheed Martin, and Northrop Grumman. SpaceX is reportedly working on something, too, but nothing formal has been made public. We can now add another player to the mix, as Boeing submitted a proposal yesterday for an integrated human lander system (HLS).

Key aspects of the proposal include a single launch via NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS)—also under development by Boeing—an integrated lander that will rendezvous with astronauts waiting in lunar orbit, and a descent stage capable of independently delivering itself from lunar orbit to the surface.

uwezjmsdy7ytpzrcvxa9.jpg

Conceptual image showing Boeing’s integrated Human Lander System being deposited into space following the launch of an SLS rocket. 

According to Boeing, the single SLS launch of the integrated Descent Element and Ascent Element is meant to streamline the mission and improve crew safety. The aerospace company says its plan will require five “mission critical events” as opposed to 11 or more, as specified in competing plans.

That said, Boeing’s plan is contingent on the completion of the SLS Block 1B (a version of SLS that will use two five-segment solid rocket boosters), which is currently under development at NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility.

When asked to comment on whether SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy could serve as a suitable substitute, a Boeing spokesperson told Gizmodo that’s not likely. The Falcon Heavy “has a much smaller lifting capacity than SLS Block 1B,” the spokesperson said. “Our HLS design reduces risk by keeping the lander in one piece for a single launch rather than breaking it into smaller parts to fit on small launchers,” adding that mission risks would be heightened if small segments were launched on multiple missions, requiring the lander to be assembled in space.

“We went with a ‘Fewest Steps to the Moon’ strategy because that is where the engineering took us,” said the spokesperson. “That approach also has been a guiding principle to successful human spaceflight. That means using the most capable rocket which means Space Launch System.”

Well, a “most capable rocket” that technically doesn’t yet exist. The SLS program is woefully behind schedule, with its inaugural launch now slated for 2021.

Boeing’s plan would also add some flexibility to the Artemis mission, not to mention potential cost savings, in that astronauts will be able to depart for the lunar surface from either the Lunar Gateway (which is the current plan) or NASA’s Orion spacecraft. This means the proposed $US504 ($733) million Lunar Gateway—a yet-to-be constructed outpost in lunar orbit—is not an essential requirement for the Artemis program. This strategy will allow for “the fastest path to lunar flights while providing a robust platform that can perform NASA’s full range of exploration missions,” according to Boeing.

Another key benefit of Boeing’s strategy is that the descent stage would be able to independently transport itself from lunar orbit to the surface without requiring an added third stage, namely a space tug.

To develop the HLS system, Boeing will rely on technologies developed for its CST-100 Starliner spacecraft, including engines, materials, and the automated landing and docking system (Starliner is similar to NASA’s Orion spacecraft, and it’ll be capable of carrying crews of up to seven people). The first Boeing lander would use hypergolic propellant and be single use, according to the Boeing spokesperson, which means the Descent Element will remain on the lunar surface. Looking further ahead to future Artemis missions, later Boeing landers “will use other fuel sources and include reusable elements,” said the spokesperson.

Needless to say, this all depends on which company NASA chooses to build the Artemis lander, a decision we should expect in the months ahead.

Nicolas Cage and Kelsey Grammer Finally Join Forces in ‘Grand Isle’ Trailer

“$20,000. That’s what I’m gonna pay you to kill my wife.” This, friends, is the very first line of the cuckoo-bananas trailer for upcoming suspense thriller Grand Isle. It is, of course, purred in a gravelly Southern accent by master of cuckoo-bananas suspense thrillers Nicolas Cage, and he, of course, has a long flowing mane of unkempt hair. If this ain’t enough to make you wanna check out the trailer, might I sweeten the pot with Kelsey Grammer trading in his Frasier upper-class brogue for a wild Louisiana accent?

That’s right, friends. Cage and Grammer, together at last. Cage plays an absolute psychopath who’s married to a slightly less over-the-top psychopath (KaDee Strickland). During the middle of a punishing hurricane, the couple welcomes in a young, haunted-looking man (Luke Benward) to take shelter. And then the couple plays absolutely batty mind games with the poor young man. Cage stares daggers into everyone, slamming drinks on the table with force. Strickland seduces Benward at every turn, fondling him at dinner (in front of Cage!) and purring that his wife must not treat him well. And finally, as hinted by the very first line of the trailer, everyone resorts to violence and madness and perhaps even murder! It’s up to Grammer’s detective to sort out the truth and instill some kind of justice.

Look, I get it. Contemporary Cage flicks are a real coin-flip in terms of quality. You either get a Mandy or you get his seemingly endless slate of direct-to-digital schlock. And while elements of the Grand Isle trailer do seem schlocky, they’re schlocky in a way designed specifically to appeal to me. The film, directed by Stephen S. Campanelli (Indian Horse), feels a combination of the simultaneously best/worst “1990s adult thrillers” and, like, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? And the cast seems very down to clown. Cage, TBH, feels like he’s giving kind of a grounded performance, matching his young co-star Benward’s Southern-fried gothic energy nicely. Strickland is having an absolute ball playing such an unsubtle femme fatale. And Grammer, while we don’t see him much in the trailer… sure is making a choice with that accent. I’m not going to lie, friends: I will see Grand Isle.

Grand Isle hits theatres and on demand December 6.

Woolly Mammoth Skeletons Discovered Inside 15,000-Year-Old Human-Built Traps In Mexico

Woolly Mammoth Skeleton

It was previously assumed that early hunters only killed woolly mammoths if they were already injured. The discovery of these resourceful traps firmly challenges that idea.

Officials in Tultepec outside Mexico City say the first woolly mammoth traps built by humans have been discovered. According to BBC, these 15,000-year-old contraptions held the remains of at least 14 mammoths — including 800 bones — making this quite a remarkable find.

Researchers believe the early hunters who built these traps may have used torches and branches to herd the animals into the pits, which were about five feet and six inches deep. The trenches, measuring 82 feet in diameter, have been undergoing thorough excavation for the last 10 months.

Archaeologists previously assumed that early humans only killed mammoths if the animals were injured or trapped. Diego Prieto Hernández, the director of Mexico’s National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH), said this discovery challenges that belief — suggesting some hunts were planned.

Mammoth Bones Being Excavated

He said the find “represents a watershed, a turning point in what we until now imagined to be the interaction between hunter-gatherers with these huge herbivores.”

Perhaps most exciting, besides what has already been uncovered, is INAH’s belief that even more traps may soon be unearthed.

According to ABC News AU, the remains of a horse and camel were also found in these traps. The discovery was made near the site where President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador’s administration is building a new airport.

Woolly Mammoth Remains

This isn’t the first time woolly mammoth remains were found in Mexico City, but this is certainly the largest find.

“Mammoths lived here for thousands of years,” said archaeologist Luis Cordoba. “The herds grew, reproduced, died, were hunted…they lived alongside other species, including horses and camels.”

This isn’t the first time people in Mexico City stumbled upon mammoth remains. In the 1970s, workers building the city’s subway discovered a skeleton while preparing a construction site in the capital’s north side. This particular discovery is, however, notable in one major way.

“This is the largest find of its kind ever made,” INAH said in a statement.

As it stands, experts involved in the dig revealed that at least five mammoth herds lived in the area.

Mammoth Pit And Skeleton

The discovery challenges the assumption that early hunters only killed these herbivores if they were already injured.

These extinct giants most recently made the news when a new study explored how the last woolly mammoth on Earth may have met its end.

The research posited that the culprit wasn’t a change in dietary well-being, nor long-term weather events that led to the demise. Instead, short-term “icing events” may have led to the extinction.

The animals have garnered a strong following among scientists and historians, with some even attempting to bring them back to life.

For now, we’ll just have to satisfy ourselves with discoveries like the one in Tultepec — a stunning trove of ancient remains.

Woolly Mammoth Illustration

SpeedKore Dodge Charger

speedkore-dodge-charger.jpg

Say hello to the crazy 1525bhp SpeedKore Dodge Charger. Featuring a twin-turbo Dodge Demon V8 with 1,500 horsepower, all-wheel drive and a carbon fiber body, this is SpeedKores´ most devilish creation yet. The four-door beast features a new body that has been reworked in carbon fiber to save weigh, and has been fitted with a three-inch Magnaflow competition series exhaust, a custom billet transfer case, an FTI torque converter, a carbon-fiber driveshaft, a triple-pump fuel system running 1,700cc injectors, and a Hellraiser performance transmission that sends power to all four Bogart Competition Series wheels, which are shod with street-legal Mickey Thompson ET tyres. Unfortunately, this monstrous Charger is already spoken for.

speedkore-dodge-charger-1.jpg

speedkore-dodge-charger-2.jpg

speedkore-dodge-charger-3.jpg

speedkore-dodge-charger-4.jpg

speedkore-dodge-charger-6.jpg

speedkore-dodge-charger-7.jpg

speedkore-dodge-charger-8.jpg

speedkore-dodge-charger-9.jpg

speedkore-dodge-charger-10.jpg

speedkore-dodge-charger-11.jpg

• Like 1

It's Confirmed: Bill Murray Will Show Up As Peter Venkman In The Upcoming Ghostbusters Sequel

izjaybpomzksdqzxcabw.jpg

Ghosts? Bustin’? Yeah, I think Bill Murray can handle that.

After months of rumours and assumptions, it’s finally official: Bill Murray is returning to the franchise with Ghostbusters, next year’s sequel/reboot thing of the franchise directed by Jason Reitman. The news comes via fellow classic ‘Buster Dan Akroyd, who will be showing up in the film as well.

“We’ve shot our part—myself, Murray, Sigourney, and Annie Potts,” Akroyd told The Greg Hill Show. “And it was really exciting working on this new idea and new take on the story which Jason, who’s a really incredible, fine filmmaker came up with.”

While Akroyd didn’t divulge much in the way of details about his or Murray’s roles in the film, he expressed enthusiasm for what Reitman, son of original Ghostbusters director Ivan Reitman, is doing with the film.

“Jason Reitman wrote a beautiful, heartfelt script that takes the real DNA from the first two movies and transfers that directly to the third, the next generation. It hands the legacy off to a new generation of stars, and players, and actors, and characters,” Akroyd said.

Alongside the returning players, the film is going to star Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace, Carrie Coon, and Paul Rudd. Ernie Hudson will also be returning, making for three out of the original four Ghostbusters team.

The new Ghostbusters, which will hand the torch over to a new generation, is slated for U.S. theatres July 10, 2020. There is currently no confirmed Australian release.

DOCUMENTARY: THE FIRST CORVETTES BEING BUILT – CIRCA 1953

This film shows the first Corvettes being built in 1953, just 300 were painstakingly made by hand that year as Chevrolet ramped up for larger production figures in 1954. All 1953 Corvettes were Polo White with a red interior, they were fitted with a 235 cu. in. (3.9 litre) Blue Flame inline six cylinder engine, and a two-speed Powerglide automatic transmission.

Chevrolet had originally designed the Corvette as a show car for the 1953 General Motors Motorama at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. The demand from the public for a production model was so overwhelming that the car was put into limited production for 1953 and it would remain in production every year since.

Unusually for the era, the Corvette was largely made from fibreglass, with a steel chassis. Fibreglass was still a relatively new material in the early 1950s and its plethora of uses was only just beginning to be discovered.

This 22 minute silent film shows the production process of the body from start to finish, beginning with the gel coat going into the moulds, followed by the laborious process of laying in the fibreglass cloth and applying the resin. The total lack of gloves, respirators, or safety gear is remarkable to see and it’s certainly not something you’d encounter nowadays.

If you’d like to read more about the history of the Corvette you can click here.

1953 Corvette production line

The Nile Could Be A Window Into The Underworld

wsq2uvdg5jmzqmgzypqn.jpg

Some scientists think the Nile river might be revealing the mysteries of the mantle beneath it.

There’s been debate over the age of the Nile—whether it formed from a river redirecting around 5 million years ago or whether a proto-Nile has flowed through the area for 30 million years. If the Nile is older, as one team of scientists’ evidence suggests, then it could be mirroring the course of a plume of mantle material circulating beneath it. The mantle is the largest layer of Earth, consisting of high-pressure rock beneath the crust and above the core.

“Maybe we can use rivers to understand how the mantle flows” more generally, Claudio Faccenna, the study’s first author and a professor at the University of Texas at Austin, told Gizmodo.

Two competing models try to explain the Nile. In one, the Nile formed when a drainage basin changed its course from westward to northward around 6 million years ago, due to the same processes that formed a crack in the African tectonic plate called the East African rift. The other theory says that the river formed 30 million years ago as a result of long-running geological processes in the mantle that have been pushing ground upward in Ethiopia and downward closer to the Mediterranean.

The team of researchers from the United States, Canada, Italy, and Israel presented new evidence in favour of the latter theory, including data and modelling. The modelling of how the local topography changed over time suggests that the Ethiopian plateau may have begun upwelling 30 million years ago, while the land began sinking downward in the eastern Mediterranean, by the Nile’s mouth. The researchers linked this model to one of the mantle moving as large slabs of rock shift around, according to the paper published today in Nature Geoscience.

Past research from this team also supports an older Nile. Analysis of 20- to 30-million-year-old rocks called zircons found at the Nile’s mouth showed that they seem to match the rocks found in the Ethiopian plateau at the source of the Nile, suggesting the river is at least that old. The thickness of the sediment, as well as the amount of erosion in the Blue Nile (one of the main tributaries of the Nile) also seem to support the older age.

Age aside, the researchers say they’ve demonstrated that some rivers can serve as a tool for understanding the behaviour of the mantle below. Some rivers typically originate from mountains or high plateaus, but others, like the Nile or the Yenisei river in Siberia, simply start out at places of higher land where the Earth’s mantle has pushed upward. These kinds of rivers differ in the sort of sediment they deposit at their mouth (usually it’s of volcanic origin, from the upwelling of the mantle).

This work is exciting for scientists like Faccenna who hope to better understand the mantle, which is difficult to study because of its depth beneath the crust. “If we can find another signal of the deep mantle on the surface, it would be amazing,” he told Gizmodo.

Obviously this work is based on a model, so there are built-in human assumptions that can alter its outcome. But I quite like the idea that there are rivers here on Earth that we can use as windows into the underworld.