STUFF: News, Technology, the cool and the plain weird

The Holy Grail Of Clean Energy May Still Be On Its Way

Screen-Shot-2020-02-25-at-10.19.09-am.png

Recent reports from scientists pursuing a new kind of nuclear fusion technology are encouraging, but we are still some distance away from the “holy grail of clean energy”.

The technology developed by Heinrich Hora and his colleagues at the University of NSW uses powerful lasers to fuse together hydrogen and boron atoms, releasing high-energy particles that can be used to generate electricity. As with other kinds of nuclear fusion technology, however, the difficulty is in building a machine that can reliably initiate the reaction and harness the energy it produces.

What is fusion?

Fusion is the process that powers the Sun and the stars. It occurs when the nuclei of two atoms are forced so close to one another that they combine into one, releasing energy in the process. If the reaction can be tamed in the laboratory, it has the potential to deliver near-limitless baseload electricity with virtually zero carbon emissions.

The easiest reaction to initiate in the laboratory is the fusion of two different isotopes of hydrogen: deuterium and tritium. The product of the reaction is a helium ion and a fast-moving neutron. Most fusion research to date has pursued this reaction.

Deuterium-tritium fusion works best at a temperature of about 100,000,000℃. Confining a plasma – the name for the flamelike state of matter at such temperatures – that hot is no mean feat.

The leading approach to harnessing fusion power is called toroidal magnetic confinement. Superconducting coils are used to create a field about a million times stronger than Earth’s magnetic field to contain the plasma.

Scientists have already achieved deuterium-tritium fusion at experiments in the US (the Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor) and the UK (the Joint European Torus). Indeed, a deuterium-tritium fusion campaign will happen in the UK experiment this year.

These experiments initiate a fusion reaction using massive external heating, and it takes more energy to sustain the reaction than the reaction produces itself.

The next phase of mainstream fusion research will involve an experiment called ITER (“the way” in Latin) being built in the south of France. At ITER, the confined helium ions created by the reaction will produce as much heating as the external heating sources. As the fast neutron carries four times as much energy as the helium ion, the power gain is a factor of five.

ITER is a proof of concept before the construction of a demonstration power plant.

What’s different about using hydrogen and boron?

The technology reported by Hora and colleagues suggests using a laser to create a very strong confining magnetic field, and a second laser to heat a hydrogen-boron fuel pellet to reach the point of fusion ignition.

When a hydrogen nucleus (a single proton) fuses with a boron-11 nucleus, it produces three energetic helium nuclei. Compared with the deuterium-tritium reaction, this has the advantage of not producing any neutrons, which are hard to contain.

However, the hydrogen-boron reaction is much more difficult to trigger in the first place. Hora’s solution is to use a laser to heat a small fuel pellet to ignition temperature, and another laser to heat up metal coils to create a magnetic field that will contain the plasma.

The technology uses very brief laser pulses, lasting only nanoseconds. The magnetic field required would be extremely strong, about 1,000 times as strong as the one used in deuterium-tritium experiments. Researchers in Japan have already used this technology to create a weaker magnetic field.

Hora and colleagues claim their process will create an “avalanche effect” in the fuel pellet that means a lot more fusion will occur than would otherwise be expected. While there is experimental evidence to support some increase in fusion reaction rate by tailoring laser beam and target, to compare with deuterium-tritium reactions the avalanche effect would need to increase the fusion reaction rate by more than 100,000 times at 100,000,000℃. There is no experimental evidence for an increase of this magnitude.

Where to from here?

The experiments with hydrogen and boron have certainly produced fascinating physical results, but projections by Hora and colleagues of a five-year path to realising fusion power seem premature. Others have attempted laser-triggered fusion. The National Ignition Facility in the US, for example, has attempted to achieve hydrogen-deuterium fusion ignition using 192 laser beams focused on a small target.

These experiments reached one-third of the conditions needed for ignition for a single experiment. The challenges include precise placement of the target, non-uniformity of the laser beam, and instabilities that occur as the target implodes.
These experiments were conducted at most twice per day. By contrast, estimates suggest that a power plant would require the equivalent of 10 experiments per second.

The development of fusion energy is most likely to be realised by the mainstream international program, with the ITER experiment at its core. Australia has international engagement with the ITER project in fields of theory and modelling, materials science and technology development.

Much of this is based at the ANU in collaboration with Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, which is the signatory to a cooperation agreement with ITER. That said, there is always room for smart innovation and new concepts, and it is wonderful to see all kinds of investment in fusion science.The Conversation

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many thanks  Yes, I think I started F1 back in 2009 so there's been one since then.  How time flies! I enjoy both threads, sometimes it's taxing though. Let's see how we go for this year   I

STYLIST GIVES FREE HAIRCUTS TO HOMELESS IN NEW YORK Most people spend their days off relaxing, catching up on much needed rest and sleep – but not Mark Bustos. The New York based hair stylist spend

Truly amazing place. One of my more memorable trips! Perito Moreno is one of the few glaciers actually still advancing versus receding though there's a lot less snow than 10 years ago..... Definit

There's A Lot More Happening Inside Mars Than We Knew

bxfiniezeaeyzzqmgwhe.jpg

Scientists have published a treasure trove of new research from the InSight lander’s first year on Mars, showing just how active the Red Planet really is.

InSight touched down on Mars’ Elysium Planitia in November 2018. It has an impressive suite of instruments, including cameras, weather sensors, magnetic field sensors, a heat probe, and a seismometer designed to measure “marsquakes.” Today, scientists have published a host of results revealing that even without plate tectonics, the planet is constantly shuddering with quakes like those on Earth or the Moon. The new data also hints at strangeness surrounding the planet’s atmosphere and magnetic field.

The bulk of these new results come from InSight’s Seismic Experiment for Interior Structure, or SEIS experiment, which the lander finished deploying last February. From then until September 30, 2019, SEIS didn’t just measure the occasional quake; it counted 174 quakes, including 150 high-frequency and low-magnitude events that propagated through the Martian crust as well as 24 deeper, higher-magnitude events. The high-frequency events looked similar to those that the Apollo mission measured on the Moon, while low-frequency events came with compression and secondary events, called P and S waves, just like quakes you might see on Earth, according to a paper published in Nature Geoscience.

“We can start to use techniques we developed on Earth to learn abut Mars’s internal structure,” Vedran Lekic, associate professor at the University of Maryland who worked on some of the new papers, told Gizmodo. “That excited me, scientifically speaking.”

Now that researches know they can use Earth-inspired methods to study the quakes, they might be able to answer more questions about the size of the planet’s core and its composition. But actually studying the core will require some stronger events, and the scientists have yet to measure a quake with a magnitude greater than 4.

Lekic explained that Mars doesn’t have plate tectonics or tidal forces from a nearby planet to act on its surface like the Earth and Moon have, respectively, so it’s hard to pinpoint exactly what causes the events. However, the researchers determined that two of the largest quakes originated from the Cerberus Fossae system of fractures, which could behave like faults do on Earth. As the planet cools, it contracts, introducing stresses that can produce faults and, in turn, quakes.

The researchers were also able to use the SEIS instrument in combination with the hammering action of the mission’s troubled Heat Flow and Physical Properties Instrument to study the planet’s crust, according to another paper published in Nature Geoscience. The planet was seismically quiet at night, but activity increased during the day as heat moved around the atmosphere. This analysis also indirectly suggests that the topmost portion of the planet’s crust likely has lots of fractures and is relatively low in its volatile elements (those with low boiling points like nitrogen, ammonia, and carbon dioxide).

Another experiment, the sensor package intended simply to study the sources of extraneous noise in the SEIS measurements, has also provided a trove of insights for the researchers, according to a third Nature Geoscience paper. The magnetometer revealed that the crust’s magnetic field seems to be 10 times stronger than what spacecraft measured from Martian orbit—perhaps there are magnetized rocks near InSight’s landing site, recording a history where the planet once had a dynamo-driven magnetic field like the Earth has today. These magnetic fields also vary throughout the day as charged particles move through the Martian atmosphere, and researchers hope to use these varying magnetic fields to study the electrical properties beneath the surface.

InSight also observed a more active atmosphere than expected, measuring a local dust storm and using its cameras to measure wind speeds. The experiment revealed turbulence in the thin atmosphere similar to the turbulence on Earth, as well as a faint glow to the air, perhaps from reactions between particles in the atmosphere and sunlight. The experiment has also detected dust devils, though has yet to actually photograph one. (The Opportunity rover, however, did snap a great pic of nearby dust devil.)

The Opportunity Rover Spotted a Martian Dust Devil on Its Tail

The researchers hope to continue monitoring the planet’s various processes through the year and observe how they change. A radio experiment on InSight, the Rotation and Interior Structure Experiment (RISE), will offer more data on the nature of the Martian interior, such as whether the planet has a solid or liquid core. And scientists are still trying to figure out how to insert the Heat Probe into the planet; most recently, they decided to try to push on the top of the probe. It’s certainly frustrating that the Heat Probe experiment hasn’t been successful so far, but at least InSight has plenty of other instruments with which to gather data.

One thing is certain: Mars will continue to surprise scientists with each new mission.

Nintendo Cracked Open Its Secret Game Boy Stash To Help A 95-Year-Old Fan

twmwkzzftgfly1mqkkiy.jpg

Nintendo is known for its excellent customer service, but now and then the company will go above and beyond the call of duty for special cases. When technicians couldn’t fix a 95-year-old Japan woman’s dead Game Boy, the company replaced it with a brand new one, leading us to wonder just how many original Game Boys Nintendo has stashed away?

According to SoraNews24, a story published in Asahi Shimbun, one of Japan’s national newspapers, shared the details of a letter sent to them by Kuniko Tsusaka, the 70-year-old daughter of the woman who is now the proud owner of a sought after piece of gaming tech. Tsusaka’s mother loved playing Tetris on the original Game Boy, and was on her third original handheld when it stopped working around the same time the 95-year-old woman had fallen ill. The original Game Boy was discontinued in 2003, however, and it became impossible to find a brand new replacement in local stores, and attempts to have the broken console repaired were unsuccessful.

Tsusaka’s son, the 95-year-old woman’s grandson, told his grandmother that Nintendo was known for its excellent customer service, and recommended she reach out to the company for help. She did, with a handwritten letter that was sent off in the mail. A week later Nintendo’s customer support responded, confirming that her Game Boy was beyond repair because the company no longer had the requisite parts, but with the response they included a brand new Game Boy the company had found in a warehouse, along with a letter wishing that she’d have many more years to play Tetris.

Tsusaka’s mother was able to enjoy her new Game Boy for at least four years before eventually passing away at the age of 99, presumably with an impressive Tetris high score as part of many legacies she left behind. It’s a lovely story and a reminder that not every company has completely outsourced its tech support to warehouses full of cubicle-dwelling phone jockeys who aren’t really concerned about genuinely helping people who call in. But it raises a few questions. Just how many original Game Boys is Nintendo still hoarding, and can I get my grandmother hooked on Tetris until my scratched, knicked, and barely functional original Game Boy kicks the bucket? Would they send her a new replacement too?

The original Game Boy’s screen is also notoriously awful, with just 23,000-plus pixels on screen and contrast levels that make it a challenge to play even under a lamp. Couldn’t Nintendo have sent Tsusaka’s grandmother a Switch as a replacement? Or at least a New Nintendo 2DS XL, with its giant and bright screen as a better alternative that would presumably be a lot easier on her ageing eyes? When you’ve got a loyal customer that’s already been through three copies of your product, it might be time to give them a free upgrade.

• Like 1

Report: Stephen Spielberg Will No Longer Direct Indiana Jones 5

bobtrodoaiqxv9n43oim.jpg

Indiana Jones is coming back for a fifth adventure—this we’ve known for ages, as the film’s been in a long development process. But now as it begins to slowly come out of that process, it’s going to be doing so without the man that has been behind the camera since the very first movie in the franchise.

Variety reports that Spielberg has taken the decision step down from directing Indiana Jones 5, but will remain attached to the project as a producer. Harrison Ford will still return as the titular adventuring archaeology professor/whip enthusiast, as was first confirmed when Lucasfilm announced a new Indy film back in 2016, but the hunt is on for a new director to bring a new perspective to the franchise.

That new director could be, according to the trade, Logan’s James Mangold, who is allegedly in talks to take over, but has not officially signed on. In recent weeks Harrison Ford has discussed forward progress on Indy 5, telling The Playlist “We want it to be the best. We’ve got some scheduling issues and a few script things still to do, but we are determined to get it right before we get it made.” Those issues, as well as Spielberg stepping down as director, likely suggest that the movie won’t be making its current planned July 2021 release date.

Steven Spielberg James Mangold

Rumours have long swirled for that “scheduling issues” and “script things”, as Ford mentioned, are the two main reasons for a potential further delay—the latter of great import to get right on Indy 5, considering the horror that is Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Given Spielberg’s incredibly busy schedule on myriad other projects right now, him stepping down wouldn’t be too surprising, even if it might mean yet another setback for Indy.

io9 has reached out to Disney for a comment on Spielberg’s potential exit from Indiana Jones 5's directors chair, and will update this piece if we receive a response.

The California Photographer Who Has Shot More Than 100 Wildfires

_Berger-Justin%20Sullivan%20Shooting%20Low%2C%20Camp%20Fire.jpg

Photographer Noah Berger was running on adrenaline, loads of iced coffee, and very little sleep when he made a mistake. He was covering the Lilac Fire in San Diego in late 2017, and the firefighting crew was preparing to spray water on a burning house. Berger ran around to the opposite side of the building, “and they turned on the hose, and it went through the house and blew out the back door or window that went into my face and cameras,” he says, “ … blew my glasses off my face, and I can’t really see without the glasses.” His first camera was dead, his second functional but crippled. “My glasses I couldn’t find so I had to get back to the car and I put on my sunglasses.” But after that, he more or less called it a night. Getting hosed is just one of the challenges of photographing wildfires, but facing them paid off for Berger and his Associated Press colleagues, who were named 2019 Pulitzer Prize Finalists for breaking news photography. Some of Berger’s images are also part of the group show Facing Fire: Art, Wildfire, and the End of Nature in the New West, featuring 16 artists, at the California Museum of Photography in Riverside.

“It has escaped no one’s notice that wildfires are growing in scale and severity. In California, 16 of the largest wildfires ever recorded have occurred in the last 20 years,” senior curator and photographer Douglas McCulloh writes in an email. “Berger and the others have multiple motivations in doing this arduous, dangerous wildfire photography. One motivation is to shine a brighter light on the issue of wildfires, man’s role, and in climate change. In this they are successful. These images are seen literally around the world.”

image.jpg

Kincade Fire, 2019

Berger’s inspiration to get close to smoke and flames is also very personal, zen-like, in the way that the mundane disappears during long, exhausting days immersed in the scorching worlds of the Camp, Kincade, or Carr fires, all of which he covered. “It was just you, the firefighters, and fire, and I just like that stripped-down existence,” he says. “That really spoke to me.”

Berger spoke with Atlas Obscura about some of the fire phenomena he’s witnessed, how vital teamwork is, and what’s really important when shooting wildfires. The exhibit Facing Fire is on view until August 2020.

How and when did you first start photographing wildfires?

I’ve been a news photographer for 25 years, so I’ve done a couple of them over the years. But it was after the Rim Fire in 2013, out by Yosemite—I did that one for three or four days, and I was like, “Oh yeah, this is what I’d like to do with my summers and falls. This is awesome, covering this.” Since then I ramped up my knowledge, my kit, my ability, my desire for it, so it’s really grown since 2013.

I was out there with [photographer] Justin Sullivan, who is also part of the show, and we had the same thing, the sense of witnessing this awesome fury of nature that people don’t really get to witness. For the Rim Fire, there was a lot of tree crowning, which is where the fire jumps from treetop to treetop. You witness these 50-, 60-, maybe 80-, 90-foot flames. The other aspect of it is that we were out there and not dealing with the normal part of life—you’re not returning emails, you’re not going to the post office, walking the dog. It’s really trying to get the best photos you can, without dealing with a lot of layers of life that are tedious.

image.jpg

Delta Fire, 2018

What’s the closest you’ve been to a wildfire? How do you stay relatively safe?
A couple of feet. California has a statute that allows press access to emergency zones. So if you have a press credential, legally you’re supposed to be able to go wherever you want in the fire, with a couple of exclusions, like if you’re impeding operations. So we’re often right in the advance of the front flames, there’s no distance limitation. That’s why you don’t see these photos from other areas, such as Colorado or Idaho, that have big fires. It’s not because there aren’t good photographers, but because they don’t have the access.

I feel you learn about fire behavior both from the classroom and the experience. When we’re driving, we keep a safety zone in mind like the firefighters do. We keep our exit routes open, we’re always thinking about what the fire’s going to do. There was this situation two years ago, in Redding at the Carr Fire, where the fire tornado kicked up, and that really did get me thinking because I was about three-quarters of a mile from where it touched down and you can’t prepare for that. Having a safety zone doesn’t mean anything when you have 140-mile-an-hour winds of fire. But for the most part, in normal fire behavior, I feel like I’m able to stay safe easily.

What was the toughest experience you’ve had while shooting a wildfire?
The fire tornado was just so dark and so apocalyptic that you couldn’t see a half-mile away that it was happening, it was just so black-black-red. Intellectually that was probably the most scary. The other one that really stands out is the Camp Fire last year in Paradise. Usually what happens is that when someone dies, they close off the streets for blocks around it, consider it a crime scene, you can’t get in. But in Paradise, they let us tag along with the coroner’s crews that were doing the body recoveries, for days. At first, me and the other photographers were looking at each other like, “How are we doing this, we’re not getting kicked out.” That was pretty intense and definitely sad. A lot of the time you don’t really quite feel the deaths like you do when you’re watching them recover bodies.

image.jpg

Carr Fire, 2018

It sounds like you’re often working with other photographers. How do you all work together?
We’re very much a team, which is awesome, and it’s really rare. I think in other cities a lot of photographers are more territorial and protective. But we’ve developed this thing because we’ve known each other for a long time. It’s me, Justin Sullivan and Josh Edelson who are in the show, and Marcus Yam, who’s Los Angeles Times, and Stephen Lam, who’s Reuters. Our preferred thing is to have two cars with two photographers in each car. It helps to have one person navigate and look out for power lines and obstacles and the other person drive. And the other thought is if one of the cars has a problem, you have another that you can jump into.

One of the things we worry about is we often come up with the same pictures a lot of the time. Still, there are so many benefits to doing it this way. We have a good time together. And it really helps to have a crew to bounce those ideas off of for where to go. Do we want to drive up this road, are we going to block a firefighter if we do that, is it going to lead to where we want or are we going to spend an hour up this dirt road for nothing?

How do you keep your gear working under such extreme conditions? And how do you manage to get good photos with such crazy lighting conditions?
I don’t worry too much. You have to clean the cameras from dust at the end of the year, but in general it’s not that hard on the gear. Our stuff is made for abuse.

In general, there’s less of a range of camera settings that I use on fire than on other work. There’s also less of a range of lenses. I tend to just go out with two lenses, and I bring less photo gear with me for fire than for corporate or other shoots. You want to travel light, you want to pare down what you need to grab as you get out of the car each time. But I have a really big fire kit. The main thing that you have safety-wise is full Nomex top and bottoms, the yellow fire-resistant clothing, and hard hat, and I have fire boots, multiple flashlights, and a lot more.

Any advice for aspiring photographers interested in this kind of work?
The biggest thing is not to get in the way of the firefighters. This isn’t about you, this is about the firefighters doing what they’re doing, about the residents and what they’re doing, and then we’re a distant third.

image.jpg

Mendocino Complex Fire, 2018

image.jpg

Delta Fire, 2018

image.jpg

Pawnee Fire, 2018

image.jpg

Holiday Fire, 2018 

image.jpg

Kincade Fire, 2019

image.jpg

Ferguson Fire, 2018

These 30+ Year ‘Sapphire Geishas’ Are Some Of Japan’s Rarest Whiskies

Featured Image

Aged spirits gain notoriety, not for their robust notes and intricate weavings of taste, but for their lineage and history. While many of the world’s renowned vices boast an expansive backstory that could herald the creation of their own feature film, many wouldn’t hold a candle to the rarified “Sapphire Geishas” that you see here – a pair of 30-plus-year-old whiskies from Japan’s late Karuizawa Distillery.

The small-batch whisky offerings are the last of their kind and arrive as the products of a 31, and 36-year-old distillation process. Following the Karuizawa Distillery’s closure in 2000, the single sherry casks were kept safe until earlier this year, when they were utilized for this ultra-limited run. On the bottles’ fronts, buyers are treated to a visual smorgasbord of blue, rose gold, white, and reflective foiling, marking their introduction into the Geisha line, while a large annotation of age sits on the label’s left side. Both bottles have their own flavor profiles, as well, including the “chocolate-covered licorice, cinnamon heat, concentrated fruit, and damp oak” of the 36-year, and the “deep earth, bittersweet chocolate, and dried cherries” of the collection’s 31. Only 146 of the 31-year and 105 of the 36-year bottles are slated for release via The Whisky Exchange’s website, where you’ll have to take part in (and win) a drawing for a chance to purchase the $16,255+ spirit.

Karuizawa-Sapphiire-Geishas-Japanese-Whisky-1.jpg

Polestar’s Precept All-Electric GT Shows Off Sustainability & AI Tech

Featured Image

It wasn’t that long ago that Polestar, the former in-house tuning brand for Volvo, announced that they were going all-electric. But it definitely looks like the Swedish car manufacturer is right on track, as they’ve just unveiled a new ride called the Polestar Precept.

Unfortunately, the Precept four-door grand tourer is just a concept at this stage — but it does illustrate some of the styling and technology that’s driving Polestar into the future. That includes (perhaps obviously) a sleek minimalist exterior, a fully-electric powertrain (performance figures have yet to be unveiled), and a comprehensive deletion of traditional mirrors and a rear window in favor of a suite of front and rear cameras and sensors — a LiDAR rig on the roof and the brand’s SmartZone (a sensor array) in place of a traditional grille amongst them. The tech stretches inside the vehicle, as well, where Polestar has installed an Android-powered, Google AI-assisted HMI (human-machine interface). Polestar even went so far as to integrate sustainability, crafting seats from recycled PET bottles, utilizing recycled cork vinyl in bolsters and headrests, and even crafting carpets from recycled fishing nets. Whether the Precept makes it to production or not, Polestar’s future is looking bright.

Polestar-Precept-Electric-Grand-Tourer-1.jpg

Polestar-Precept-Electric-Grand-Tourer-2.jpg

Polestar-Precept-Electric-Grand-Tourer-3.jpg

Polestar-Precept-Electric-Grand-Tourer-4.jpg

Polestar-Precept-Electric-Grand-Tourer-5.jpg

CROWNED MONKEY RUM

crowned-monkey1-thumb-960xauto-112079.jpg

To celebrate the 29th anniversary of the Four Seasons Nevis in the West Indies, the legendary resort is releasing a one-of-a-kind Caribbean rum. The blend was made exclusively for the resort's bar, and only one barrel was produced by Foursquare Rum Distillery. The rum was aged for 14 years in a single Jim Beam bourbon barrel and spent the first eight years in the tropics before being transferred to a more temperate climate for the rest of its maturation. The unfiltered rum's first bottle will be sold for $29,000 and comes adorned with the original cask seal. The remainder of the 344 private label bottles are being sold at the resort at a more reasonable price and the rum is also available in the bar's new signature cocktail: The Peak.

Uber Plans For 1,000 Helicopters To Hover Above Melbourne

uber-air-sky-port.jpg

When Uber announced its intention to use Melbourne as a trial city for its fleet of flying Uber Air vehicles, everyone figured that the ridesharing service would start small. Maybe a handful of helicopters running a few show flights for the media. It turns out that Uber's ambition is a lot wilder.

Getting to Melbourne's airport from the city is a genuine pain point for just about every traveller. As much as many of us love Melbourne, the arrangement of its primary airport in proximity to the working, tourist and most of its living spaces is a real drag, and a huge time sink. That's why the news that Uber had selected Melbourne as a trial city for its flying fleet late last year drew so much attention.

As the ABC reports, Uber isn't taking half-measures when it comes to rolling out flying Ubers in Victoria's capital city.

Documents sourced by the ABC under Freedom Of Information (FOI) requests detail Uber's plans, which call for 1,000 helicopters making the return trip from the airport to the city, and – presuming the trial is a success – between other locations over time. They won't be strolling in a leisurely fashion out to the airport either.

"Flights will travel at an altitude of ~1,500 ft [457m] with speeds of up to 150-200 miles/hour [241-321 kilometres per hour] and a range of up to 60 miles [96 kilometres]," the report noted.

A digital image shows a drone-style helicopter flying over Melbourne's Yarra river.

Uber is a US company, so the use of imperial measurements makes sense there.

Uber isn't the source of the ABC's documents, which have instead come from the state's regulatory bodies; that's understandable as in order to get a flying fleet in the air Uber has to negotiate a whole raft of regulations and safety measures.

Melbourne Airport is a big place, so there's plenty of space to park a few helicopters out that way, but Uber's scheme also calls for a wide range of parking locations within Melbourne itself.

Or, to be more accurate, on top of Melbourne. The plan is that Melbourne's flying Ubers will use the tops of buildings and even carports as temporary helipads in order to pick up and drop off its flying customers.

That could be quite startling, really. Imagine parking your car to head to work or the shops, only to come back to discover a helicopter parked next to you. I'd certainly be checking my car for any suspicious scratches or dents afterwards, even though chasing the Uber down to swap insurance details would be a bit trickier.

A flying vehicle sketched above a city skyline

Just like regular old boring wheels-based Uber, though, the plan isn't for Uber to buy or build out its own stock of helicopters. Instead, it plans to work as an intermediary between aircraft owners and potential passengers, picking up its fee in the middle.

That does mean you'd have to rely on each individual flying Uber owner keeping their aircraft in good condition. It's one thing to get into a slightly dusty Yaris for that quick jaunt across town, but I'm not sure I'd be quite so keen if my flying Uber turned up with any signs of damage to it at all.

Uber does plan to eventually use slightly quieter electric helicopters over time, but for now it'll be regular helicopters with the noise they bring, which is another hurdle it will have to cover, especially if it's going to be landing at sites all across Melbourne.

‘Tales from the Loop’ Trailer Offers Futuristic Mystery from ‘Batman’ Director Matt Reeves

Amazon Studios has released the new trailer for its “visually stunning” and “groundbreaking drama series” Tales from the Loop, which hails from executive producer Matt Reeves, and is based on the art of Simon Stålenhag.

There’s no question that the show does indeed look visually stunning, but groundbreaking? That’s a big word! There are high expectations that come with the g-word, but hey, I like Amazon’s confidence here, and this show does look pretty cool. The company has impressed me with Hunters and the upcoming ZeroZeroZero dropping back-to-back, and Tales from the Loop will aim to make it three in a row, as it will hit Amazon Prime Video on April 3.

BRABUS’ 800HP Adventure XLP Is A Decked Out 4×4 That Deploys Drones

Featured Image

Mercedes-Benz’s G63 AMG SUV was already a formidable luxury vehicle before it fell into the hands of the twisted minds at Brabus. If the platform didn’t catch your attention before due to its impeccable design and equally-as-enticing power figures, that’s about to change, thanks to the newly-announced 800 Adventure XLP model — a drone-touting take on the Stuttgart-based brand’s flagship.

The BRABUS 800 Adventure XLP arrives as an ultra-exclusive “supercar” that’s been imbued with a menagerie of carbon enhancements, working alongside its upgraded powerplant and bespoke suspension system to give the lavish model an air of off-road readiness. Using state-of-the-art design and engineering software, the company has opted to include an all-new pickup bed behind the main cabin of the SUV, allowing it to utilize a specialized module for an electrically powered hi-tech drone to take flight. The unmanned Wingcopter can reach speeds of up to 150 miles-per-hour, gifting owners and rescue outfits the ability to deliver aid supplies and special equipment in dangerous, remote areas. But that’s nothing compared to the Adventure XLP’s 4.0-liter, twin-turbo V8 BRABUS 800 PowerXtra engine, which boasts an indomitable 789 horsepower, and 737 lb-ft of torque. Inside, an aesthetically-pleasing burned-oak fine leather interior, courtesy of the company’s in-house upholstery team, rounds things out. The 800 Adventure XLP will debut at the 2020 Geneva Motor Show and will cost buyers an estimated $626,000+ upon release.

Brabus-800-Adventure-XLP-Mercedes-AMG-G63-SUV-1.jpg

Brabus-800-Adventure-XLP-Mercedes-AMG-G63-SUV-2.jpg

Brabus-800-Adventure-XLP-Mercedes-AMG-G63-SUV-3.jpg

Brabus-800-Adventure-XLP-Mercedes-AMG-G63-SUV-4.jpg

Brabus-800-Adventure-XLP-Mercedes-AMG-G63-SUV-5.jpg

Belgium’s Workhorse Speedshop Readies A NOS-Powered Indian Scout For Ice Racing

Featured Image

Back in May of 2019, Indian Motorcycle (Europe) tasked Brice Hennebert of Belgium’s Workhorse Speedshop with transforming a 2018 Scout Bobber into nitrous-breathing, bespoke aluminum-bodied drag racer for GP legend, Randy Mamola to pilot at the iconic Sultans Of Sprint event. Born out of more than 700 hours of design and fabrication time, the project — dubbed “Appaloosa” — has now gone back up on the bench in preparation for yet another bout, this time Russia’s 2020 Baikal Mile.

Held in the arctic conditions of Siberia, the frozen lakebed venue routinely sees temperatures plummet to -20°C during the day and -40°C at night. To get ready for the 1/8 mile and 1-mile ice sprint races, the updated Scout — now christened the “v2.0” — has received a set of Dunlop SportSmart Mk3 tires fitted with hundreds of carbide studs — a task that took Brice’s mechanic a full four days to complete. Other tweaks to the 2018 Indian included an upgraded NOS system, a revised suspension setup from Ohlins, and the open mouth of the original fairing design has been capped off with a new carbon fiber nose cap. The new bodywork now sports a myriad of new, smaller intake ports in the bodywork, which was also treated to a new race livery.

Indian-Scout-Bobber-Appaloosa-v2.0-Ice-Racer-By-Workhorse-Speed-Shop-1.jpg

Indian-Scout-Bobber-Appaloosa-v2.0-Ice-Racer-By-Workhorse-Speed-Shop-2.jpg

Indian-Scout-Bobber-Appaloosa-v2.0-Ice-Racer-By-Workhorse-Speed-Shop-3.jpg

Indian-Scout-Bobber-Appaloosa-v2.0-Ice-Racer-By-Workhorse-Speed-Shop-4.jpg

• Like 1

Artemis Fowl's New Trailer Hints At A Reimagined Adaptation Of The Novels

Though it’s taken some time for Kenneth Branagh’s adaptation of Artemis Fowl to make its way to the silver screen, it’s finally happening if you can believe it. Disney’s just dropped a new trailer featuring some of the book’s classic heroes who aren’t pre-teen criminal masterminds.

Were it not for the fact that the older Artemis Fowl (Colin Farrell) suddenly disappeared, leaving his wife Angeline (Miranda Raison) and son Artemis II (Ferdia Shaw) to fend for themselves, it’s likely that the younger Artemis never would have followed in his father’s footsteps down the path of international villainy. The new trailer establishes that while the rest of the world sees the Fowl patriarch as a renowned thief on the run, Artemis and his unimaginatively-named manservant Butler (Game of Thrones’ Nonso Anozie) are certain the public’s got things wrong, and they’ll stop at nothing to set the record straight including, but not limited to, setting off a war between humans and the fey folk who live in secret.

Artemis’ quest to find his father puts him on a collision course with elf Lower Elements Police recon officer Holly Short (Lara McDonnell) and Mulch Diggums (Josh Gad), a dwarf with a penchant for selling valuable information to the highest bidder. We also see the teeniest glimpse of Judi Dench commander Root, chief of the magical LEPrecon force hellbent on keeping Artemis from discovering all of the magical world’s powerful secrets, and the whole trailer has the strange effect of seeming much more whimsical than any of Eoin Colfer’s novels.

What’s interesting about the trailer is that, from the looks of things, Artemis Fowl isn’t going to be a fully one-to-one adaptation of the original novel, and the movie’s overall tone could be significantly less grimdark compared to the source material. Shaw’s Fowl is very much a young boy who doesn’t give off the same kind of sociopathic energy the book’s Fowl does, which could very well be a strategic decision on Disney’s part in order to make the character more immediately accessible to audiences unfamiliar with the franchise. Artemis’ interactions with Holly and Mulch appear to be far less adversarial than they were in the books, suggesting that the movie could fast track the younger Artemis’ attempts to save his father rather than focusing on his initial plan to rob the fairies of their vast wealth—a plan that plays a rather important role in shaping Artemis’ complicated, at times adversarial relationship to the larger fairy world.

This could all be bulking towards an eventual turn for Artemis in future films where his becoming a heel and a villain in the fairies’ eyes might make for an interesting development down the line. Or it could simply mean that when Artemis Fowl breaks into theatres May 28, it’s going to be a much lighter, brighter adventure than fans of the books might have been expecting.

China's Air Pollution Rates Plummet After Coronavirus Lockdown

rmq2hk2suz9ror1genwx.jpg

The graphic above maps the density of nitrogen dioxide concentrations (the noxious gas released by cars and industries that’s known to cause health problems) across China before and after coronavirus quarantines went into effect. (Graphic: NASA)

Y-....yay? I guess?

Satellites operated by NASA and the European Space Agency have seen “significant decreases” in toxic nitrogen dioxide over China that are “at least partly related to the economic slowdown following the outbreak of coronavirus,” according to a press release NASA issued over the last weekend. Nitrogen dioxide is the gas the bellows out of cars, factories, and power plants and is known to cause respiratory problems and other negative health effects.

Because, yes, in case you hadn’t already heard, China’s air pollution problem really is so bad that you can see it from space. Scientists have previously called its capital city, Beijing, “uninhabitable for human beings” due to poor air quality, and China’s usual blanket of smog—a byproduct of burning extensive amounts of fuel and coal—is so thick and pervasive that it dulls sunsets and kills thousands of people each year.

rfzvnluuu7w53a6y6vts.jpg

NASA scientists said the drop-off first became apparent over Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, but it has since spread to other areas of the country. Before-and-after satellite images show how nitrogen dioxide level dropped precipitously last month compared to early January, before millions of people were put on lockdown.

“This is the first time I have seen such a dramatic drop-off over such a wide area for a specific event,” Fei Liu, an air quality researcher at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Centre, said in a statement.

Given that many Chinese businesses close for Lunar New Year celebrations, scientists typically see pollution in the country taper off around this time of year. However, this year’s rates rank between 10 and 30 per cent lower than average when compared to similar measurements taken between 2005 and 2019.

“This year, the reduction rate is more significant than in past years and it has lasted longer,” Liu continued. “I am not surprised because many cities nationwide have taken measures to minimise spread of the virus.”

umbk0ik9d2rcpla7ttiv.jpg

While news that a country has reduced its pollution rates is usually something to celebrate, this definitely feels like a mixed bag. A silver-ish lining in an ongoing shit storm, if you will.

To date, the coronavirus outbreak has spread to 58 countries with nearly 90,000 cases recorded. The respiratory illness has been responsible for more than 2,800 deaths in China and an additional 104 worldwide, including one in America—the country’s first—recorded earlier this weekend.

Alfa Romeo Celebrates 110 Years With The 540HP Giulia GTA & GTAm

Featured Image

When it comes to Alfa Romeo, birthdays are celebrated with a reevaluation of one of the company’s most prolific vehicles. After enamoring the automotive scene 110 years ago, the brand’s Gran Turismo Alleggerita — a supremely-designed namesake from 1965 — has been chosen to receive a much-needed touch-up, resulting in the newly-introduced GTA and GTAm.

Both models arrive as contemporary adaptations of the legendary Alleggerita, calling upon Sauber Engineering’s Formula 1-inspired principles and Aerokit, a titanium Akrapovič central exhaust system, and front/rear-wheel tracks that have been widened by 50mm to accommodate new springs, shock absorbers, and bushings. A large front splitter and carbon-imbued rear wing have been implemented to promote improved handling and performance, complementing the GTA’s 540-horsepower 2.9-liter V6 Bi-Turbo engine. Inside, drivers are treated to a similarly-inspired experience, bearing witness to an Alcantara-trimmed dashboard, glove compartment, central seat trim, and door panels. The premium GTAm, on the other hand, will boast an even more extensive Alcantara treatment, resulting in a fully upholstered basin, fire extinguisher and helmet holders, and carbon-fiber inserts throughout, demarcating its pedigree as a roll-bar-imbued race platform. Only 500 of each will be ever be made, with more information to be released at a later date.

Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-GTA-1.jpg

Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-GTA-2.jpg

Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-GTA-3.jpg

Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-GTA-4.jpg

Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-GTA-5.jpg

• Like 1

Analogue Resurrects Its Holy Grail NES Retro Console One Last Time

Featured Image

The world of retro video gaming is not exactly a massive one, least of all when it comes to companies that produce throwback devices. However, if we had to pick a king of the industry, it would definitely be Analogue. And while it’s sad to some that they’re putting their Holy Grail Nt mini NES-inspired console out of production, this limited-edition Noir version is sending it out with a bang.

Based on the standard edition, the Analogue Nt mini Noid still boasts all of the features that made the original so great — including both NES and Famicom game ports, support for both wired and wireless controllers, HDMI output with quality upscaling for old games, and a multi-region power supply. However, this one also boasts some exclusive never-before-seen upgrades. For instance, the NES cartridge slot has been perfected, it has an updated UI, and it comes with a new 8BitDo 2.4g wireless controller. Available on preorder now for $499, this top-tier throwback gaming system won’t be around for long.

Analogue-Nt-mini-Noir-Retro-Console-1.jpg

Analogue-Nt-mini-Noir-Retro-Console-2.jpg

Analogue-Nt-mini-Noir-Retro-Console-3.jpg

Luminox Calls On Bear Grylls To Craft The Ultimate Outdoor Survival Watch

Featured Image

At least in the modern-day, there might not be a name more synonymous with survival than Bear Grylls. So it makes perfect sense that Luminox, a brand that has carved out their own reputation in the world of outdoor- and survival-focused timepieces, would call on him to help design the Luminox XB.3749 watch.

A member of the Bear Grylls Survival MASTER Series collection, the 3749 chronograph is loaded to the gills with exceptional survival-focused features. That includes an ultra-tough CARBONOX+ (twice as strong as regular CARBONOX) case, a reliable Swiss-made Ronda 5030.D movement, water-resistance good for depths of over 1,000 feet, an anti-reflective sapphire crystal, and self-powered illumination good for up to 25 years. It even boasts a scale that can help you calculate your walking speed and an at-a-glance SOS Morse Code reference. As if that isn’t enough, Bear and the brand took it even further with the included durable rubber EPDM strap — which has an attached compass for navigation purposes. For $890, you’re not just getting an outstanding watch; you’re getting a wrist-mounted lifesaver. $890

Luminox-Bear-Grylls-Survival-Master-Series-3749-Watch-1.jpg

Luminox-Bear-Grylls-Survival-Master-Series-3749-Watch-2.jpg

Luminox-Bear-Grylls-Survival-Master-Series-3749-Watch-3.jpg

Luminox-Bear-Grylls-Survival-Master-Series-3749-Watch-4.jpg

Luminox-Bear-Grylls-Survival-Master-Series-3749-Watch-5.jpg

The Koenigsegg Gemera Is A 1,700 HP Warp Speed Machine For You And Your Kids

ga9yands1hl6okrj1tmn.jpg

OK just try to wrap your head around this, because I can’t. I’m just going to lay out the facts. It has a 600 horsepower three-cylinder twin-turbo engine. It has three electric motors. It’s got 1,700 HP total. It has one single gear. It will do zero to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 1.9 seconds. It’ll do at least 400 km/h. And it has two LATCH anchor positions for car seats. It’s the Koenigsegg Gemera and nothing about it makes sense.

ywhmzkkp0hepcijexzuf.jpg

I don’t mean that “nothing about it makes sense” from a journalistic scepticism standpoint. I fully believe the Koenigsegg corporation is capable of making something like the Gemera if it so chose to do so, as much as I believe that Jeff Bezos is capable of ending world hunger, if he so chose to do so, on a whim.

I mean that, much like Bezos’ cash is impossible to comprehend for a human brain, what goes on in the Koenigsegg Gemera is seemingly beyond the comprehension of the human brain. Those numbers and capabilities are just tough for a mere mortal to wrap their mind around.

aijx0jbmxtotovq5x4rx.jpg

8,113 lb-ft of wheel torque. Eight thousand. One hundred. Thirteen. Pound. Feet.

Oh, you want a graph to help make this easier?

nw5rbcho2kgaazht9wmf.jpg

Boom. Koenigsegg put the power outputs in graph form. I’m not sure it makes it any better.

What do you even do with that? Haul Jupiter around behind you with a tow hitch?

jvxae0iuhz0yrynz9usu.jpg

c81orevusqou5wypl7iy.jpg

But of course, none of the discussion about the mysteries of the universe (unfortunately, no relation to the Gemara, and yes, I asked) is complete without a discussion of just how any of it gets to the road. The 2.0-litre twin-turbo three-cylinder little mill, called the “Tiny Friendly Giant” or “TFG,” is mounted behind the occupants in the middle, and actually drives the front wheels and the front wheels only. Naturally, it’s helped out with an electric motor, also powering the front wheels.

The Koenigsegg Gemera isn’t some wildly roided-out Oldsmobile Toronado re-make, however, with huge torque going to the front wheels only. Two electric motors also power the back, meaning it’s got all-wheel drive to help get the power down. And all-wheel steering, too, according to Koenigsegg:

The separate rear e-motors enable torque vectoring and reverse. The front axle has an open differential with a wet clutch pack for each output shaft, also enabling torque vectoring. This means that the Gemera has all-wheel drive, all-wheel torque vectoring, and all-wheel steering, as it also has independent rear-wheel steering – offering maximum traction and safety, and one exciting driving experience. The Gemera also comes with active ride height to complement driving conditions.

Koenigsegg is calling the Gemera the first “Mega-GT,” and frankly, I don’t have a counterargument to that, either. The company promises that four adults can fit comfortably, so that the whole car is suitable for “family and friends,” and that it is designed for “family trips, in comfort, style, and safety.”

ax4mn4g4ytsekttocvli.jpg

To enable that, it still has only two “Koenigsegg Automated Twisted Synchrohelix Actuation Doors,” as the company calls them, but they’re monumentally huge to enable back seaters to get in and out a bit easier, just like on an old Renault Avantime, which was this oddball French coupe-van thing.

t8ex4cxjexcfx5mh52mk.jpg

It’s also got eight cupholders—four that can heat, and four that can cool—onboard wifi, memory foam heated seats, and four—yes, four—reading lights. God forbid you go without a chilled beverage and the ability to read a map while you’re cruising along at 400 km/h. And if you demand utter silence, the Gemera will do that too, propelling you and three friends on electric power alone up to a mere 340 km/h.

This is nuts. Just nuts.

Even though the price is as-yet undisclosed, and assuming you can afford one (you cannot), Koenigsegg is only going to make 300 of these things.

cseiptuso8yqlewuvnrv.jpg

Go get one while you still can.

dcobont4amwvmlvw641j.jpg

Wind And Waves Helped Encase A Small New York Town In Ice

esubnvvmwruv6r9quee2.jpg

Imagine waking up to a dark home and realising ice is covering your windows. And doors. And outdoor stairs. I’m not talking about no winter wonderland type experience. I’m talking about ugly, brown, prickly icicles dangling off your usually ice-free home. That’s exactly what happened to residents who live along Hoover Beach in Hamburg, New York, right next to Lake Erie last weekend.

While Fox News referred to this spectacle as something out of the Disney movie Frozen, I’m here to give you the damn truth. These houses look gross and, quite frankly, a little dangerous. Falling icicles can hurt you. And as the images show, they were hanging everywhere: on windows, balconies, doors, and siding. Plus, having to carve your way out of—or into—your house is scary!

u8axgs3s5y7wsklob8ie.jpg

A winter storm is the culprit behind this strange scene. Last week, winds reached up to 20 mph (32 km/h) on Lake Erie with gusts as high as 40 mph (64 km/h). All that wind—along with the water from waves kicking off Lake Erie and cold air—left ice covering homes some 1 to 3 feet (30-90cm) thick.

This has happened in the past. Last year, strong winds brought water from Lake Ontario onto homes in Pulaski, New York, resulting in more ice homes.

Living on the Great Lakes is an adventure in winter weather beyond ice homes. The region is known for lake effect snow, which forms when cold, dry air moves over the Great Lakes, picks up moisture from the lakes, and dumps it along the shoreline. In 2017, the small town of Erie, Pennsylvania racked up a wild state snowfall record with 53 inches (130 cm) of snow falling in just 30 hours. It turns out residents along the lakeshore not only have to worry about the piles of snow that lands on them as a result of their proximity to Lake Erie. They now have to worry about that water covering their home as ice. Upstate New York is known for its brutal winters, but these homes are some next-level shit.

And that much ice poses some risk—especially when it starts to melt.

nid2glqmu0lb4yy0jb2l.jpg

See those boxes? Those are windows. Covered in dirty ice.

al1r6gooyy4v88qeuvoh.jpg

u19btx3yhguqd85x8tsj.jpg

• Like 1

Leica & Mykita’s 3D-Printed Sunglasses Were Inspired By Photography

Featured Image

When it comes to stylish, functional eyewear, the unison of crystal-clear lenses and next-generation materials is never a bad thing. That means that when two giants in German engineering come together to create a new line of fashionable sunglasses, the world takes note.

Mykita and Leica both call Germany home, and with roots in concise product engineering, it’s no wonder that the pair have come together for a cutting-edge eyewear collaboration. Leica’s precise optics and Mykita’s bespoke construction principles have been introduced in spectacular fashion here, calling upon the glass proprietor’s geometric lens shapes, which mimic aspects from the recognizable Leica lens hood, to provide wearers with unparalleled visual acuity. To contain the company’s transcendental optics, Mykita’s 3D-printed MYLON material has been contracted, working alongside a stainless steel frame to gift the luxury eyewear collection with immense durability. Unique elements like an AquaDura Vision Pro lens coating, which has been developed and used inside of Leica’s sport and photography lenses, ensure adequate protection from smudging, scratches, and harsh reflections. Look for the collection to hit both Mykita and Leica’s web stores in June.

Mykita-x-Leica-Luxury-Eyewear-Collection-2.jpg

Mykita-x-Leica-Luxury-Eyewear-Collection-3.jpg

Renault’s Morphoz AI-Driven Electric SUV Can Transform To Suit Your Needs

Featured Image

Amidst the automotive industry’s rapid transition into the world of all-electric vehicles, there are a handful of companies that have decided to take a more humanistic approach. While the vast majority of manufacturers have opted to follow the trend, Renault has decided to take the road-less-traveled with the recently-announced Morphoz — an adaptable, transformative electric crossover vehicle that’s been built to evolve alongside its buyer.

The Morphoz is certainly a denizen of the future — and an evolutionary platform that takes an uncharted path seemingly unbeknownst to its counterparts. Not only does the vehicle boast Level 3 autonomy, which allows it to utilize Artificial Intelligence to aid in daily driving, but it can also transform to house more occupants on a whim, thanks to an extendable dashboard that pushes forward for more legroom, adaptable seating, and a longer chassis to promote enhanced battery capacity. But what makes the Renault Morphoz so interesting is its performance-oriented, transformative nature, which allows drivers to switch between a short-range “City” mode, and long-range “Travel” mode via an expandable battery tray below the car. Heading out of the city? Throw in a couple more batteries at the next recharge station, and return them to the kiosk when you’re ready to revert back for your daily commute. We’ve barely skimmed the surface of the all-new electric crossover — head to Renault’s website to learn more.

Renault-MORPHOZ-Concept-EV-1.jpg

Renault-MORPHOZ-Concept-EV-2.jpg

Renault-MORPHOZ-Concept-EV-3.jpg

Renault-MORPHOZ-Concept-EV-4.jpg

Renault-MORPHOZ-Concept-EV-5.jpg

BULLEIT BLENDERS' SELECT NO. 001 BOURBON

blenders-select1-thumb-960xauto-112429.jpg

The latest innovation from Bulleit also gives the bourbon brand an opportunity to celebrate the female influence behind the spirit. Blenders Select No. 001 is the creation of Bulleit Blender Eboni Major and is part of Diageo's Craftswomen Today initiative. The 100 proof bourbon uses three of the 10 whiskey types found in the original Bulleit and is expertly blended to bring forth notes of vanilla bean, honey, dried fruit, and toasted oak. The first in a new line of special blends, the limited edition bourbon hits store shelves this month. $50.00

Watch Out Scotland—England is Now Making Whisky!

200305-HF_tease1_kphjju

While England has historically focused on making gin, there are now more than a dozen distilleries producing whisky.

“It’s hard to sell,” the importer told me, “not because of its quality but…well…it’s English and people here can’t get their heads around that.” 

That conversation about English whisky took place close to a decade ago. Since then drinkers have embraced whiskies made around the world (care for a dram of the Swedish Mackmyra or the Indian Amrut?). Maybe Scotland casts too big of a shadow but come on… England? That has always seemed a step too far.

Not that this has fazed distillers. There are currently 16 distilleries in England making whisky, another eight that are starting up and even more in the planning stage.

In the process, they are creating a new category. England might be known for gin, but it has never been famed for whisky. Over a century passed between the closing of its last whisky distillery, London’s Lea Valley, and the founding of the English Whisky Company (EWC) in barley-rich Norfolk in 2006. Now, there are new brands in almost every county releasing mature whiskies.

So, what is English whisky anyway? Perhaps the best person to ask is David Fitt, head distiller at EWC, who after all had more than a head start over his colleagues. “I’ve noticed a base character and style emerging across our range, so that fundamentally you know it is from here—light, fruity, floral, with a little nutty element. We’re making whiskies, which are similar to each other, yet different, but that’s taken time.”

While Fitt sees the start of a category, I’m not convinced that we’ll ever see an overarching English style, since each of the distilleries makes their whisky in a different way. (In that way, it’s more like gin than single malt Scotch.) Right now the category doesn’t have any specific standards of identity, which means the brands can experiment and innovate. 

For one, distillers are using pot stills, column stills, and even hybrid stills, and are also trying out different cereals as the base of their whiskies. EWC produced an eye-opening series of whiskies made from a mix of malted grains. (A similar approach is also taken by Suffolk’s Adnams.) A number of folks, including the London Distillery and Oxford’s TOAD, have also been looking at making whisky from rye. The latter is also working with Oxford University researching heirloom grains, some discovered deep in the original thatch of ancient cottages.

The London Distillery has gone even further doing a trial run of a whisky produced from a combination of historic barley and yeast strains from different decades to fine-tune its flavor profile. Cotswolds, meanwhile, has also been looking at using traditional barley varieties, like Plumage Archer.

Unlike their Scottish colleagues, who can only use oak for their casks, English distillers can employ barrels built from any kind of wood prompting East London Liquor Co. (ELLC) to test out ones made from chestnut, ash, acacia and even mulberry. Other distillers are following suit.

200305-HF_embed3_r7ili6

“We’re looking at woods,” says Fitt, “but we don’t want to be arsing about just for the sake of it. We’ve spent time getting to this point where we can know what works, and more importantly what doesn’t. We can then push boundaries within that framework.”

Although, Lakes might at first blush seem to take a Scotch-like approach, it too is actually approaching whisky in a different manner. “We’d describe it as wood-forward, unpeated and flavor-packed,” says marketing director, Kirsty Taylor. Whisky maker Dhavall Gandhi has devised a complex system of creating two new spirits each week, which are then blended together, predominantly aged in former sherry casks and re-blended during maturation (in a manner similar to Cognac) before bottling. 

So, is innovation a necessity in order to create an individual point of difference? “Innovation is important,” says Matt McKay at Bimber, “but not at the expense of quality. That means more than just finishing a whisky in an unusual cask type and calling it innovation for the sake of an easy catchphrase. Innovation does not need to be extreme. It’s about the sharing new ideas, the breaking of new ground—and importantly about truly adding value.”

For David Thompson, master distiller of Spirit of Yorkshire—which grows all of its own grain—innovation is important, but “it doesn’t mean smashing up the rule book and being obtuse and difficult. Our difference comes from our still set up, our location and our attitude. It’s about being different and really good. One would be crazy to deploy the sort of capital and take the sort of risk that creating a new whisky involves without taking the time and making the effort to make the very best whisky possible.”

200305-HF-embed5_t92wtv

What seemingly is more important to a distiller’s story is its provenance and location. “Place is hugely important to us,” says Dan Szor founder and CEO at Cotswolds. “It defines every aspect of our being. We feel extremely lucky to live in one of Britain’s most beautiful regions with every bit as much romance as the Highlands. We try, where possible, to emphasize the agricultural bounty of the Cotswolds. Our barley is grown 15 minutes from the distillery. We all should trumpet our Englishness.”

It’s a sentiment shared by a number of other distillers, from Fitt mentioning the impact that hard water has on flavor, to Bimber sourcing local grains and ELLC tapping into East London’s “crazy creativity.” 

Yorkshire folks are famously proud of their county, so it’s no surprise that Thompson talks it up. “The land around us has shaped the lives of all the people working in the business,” he says. “We’re all a product of our surroundings and our whisky is very much so too–that’s why we say we’re made of Yorkshire, not just made in Yorkshire.”

English_Whiskey-2_gfapan

But not all the brands agree that it’s necessary to succeed by trumpeting terroir. “Having a style that is defined by your origin only serves to hamper your ability to express yourself,” argues Kirsty Taylor. “It is the taste that will ultimately define us. Whether a whisky drinker can ever pick up a glass and say ‘this is English’ is irrelevant. It is the flavor and experience that will influence people’s choice, not the place.”

However, having several distilleries in the area will certainly help with awareness. “A rising English whisky tide will float all of our boats,” says Szor. “Our small group is in the enviable position of being able to cheer each other on.” His optimism is well placed. Sales of Cotswolds, which released its first bottle in 2017, is now in excess of 50,000 bottles, while Lakes has just announced a £4.25m investment enabling production to triple to 1 million bottles per year. ELLC, meanwhile, has quadrupled its whisky production since 2018 and now has a six strong distilling team.

You can find EWC and Cotswolds in international markets, while the first releases from ELLC, Bimber, Lakes and Spirit of Yorkshire all sell out as soon as they become available. What then might the English whisky category look like in a decade? “We should have 20 whiskies on the market, of varying ages—including a 10-year old Cotswolds single malt—hallelujah, brother!’ says Szor. 

English_Whiskey-10_j6pano

“It will be determined on the stock that’s being laid down,” says Lakes’ Taylor. “It appears there are a lot of people out for quick gain, but others, including ourselves, are trying to create long-term value. There are already some exceptional non-age statement whiskies being released, but the real value will come from the stocks we’re laying down for 10, 15…20 years time.”

Meanwhile, Fitt looks back before forward. “It’s still funny to think we’re in unknown territory. We’ve never had English whisky this old before! I hope all the small distilleries survive, but sadly I don’t think they all will. It’s not numbers but funding. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens in 10 years in terms of flavor and shape of the industry. We really don’t know and that’s the fun of whisky.”