• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DR Guano nailed it. It has a prune component supposedly. I enjoy it. It is a bit spicier than Coke. I much prefer birch or ginger beer however. DP is a bit (ok a lot) sweet so I only have a few each year.

Much better than a Malta type soda. Blech.

Y'all eat marmite or whatever. So allow me to roll my eyes a bit.

:lol:

I have always liked Dr. Pepper, it is a unique soda for sure, but I just like the taste of it. I actually used to drink this regularly when smoking the spicier variety on non-Cuban cigars. I thought they paired well together, but I haven't done that for a couple years now.

I once heard there's a real nerdy group of sody freaks out there, who assert that there's some very specific factory that makes the best Dr. Pepper, and they get it straight from there. Who knows. Kind of like the kids who tell me Mexican Coca Cola is better than US.

I once heard there's a real nerdy group of sody freaks out there, who assert that there's some very specific factory that makes the best Dr. Pepper, and they get it straight from there. Who knows. Kind of like the kids who tell me Mexican Coca Cola is better than US.

The're referring to a couple of small Areas in Texas, who continue to use real Cane Sugar to make the Dr. Pepper, instead of the Glucose-Fructose-BStose-Corn-Syrup that all our food is poisoned with sweetened with since the 80's, thanks to an over-zealous Corn lobby in Washington. I discovered it by accident while driving across Texas a few years back - The Dr. Pepper has an old-school lable, and tastes just a bit better than the regular stuff - closer to the UK version.

I've heard of people ordering it directly from the distributors in Texas, I've never bothered.

The're referring to a couple of small Areas in Texas, who continue to use real Cane Sugar to make the Dr. Pepper, instead of the Glucose-Fructose-BStose-Corn-Syrup that all our food is poisoned with sweetened with since the 80's, thanks to an over-zealous Corn lobby in Washington. I discovered it by accident while driving across Texas a few years back - The Dr. Pepper has an old-school lable, and tastes just a bit better than the regular stuff - closer to the UK version.

I've heard of people ordering it directly from the distributors in Texas, I've never bothered.

Funny, this. That's very similar to Heinz ketchup.

My wife and I have American family over in Michigan. Whenever anybody goes back or forth across the border, a trip to Canadian supermarkets is always a must, and we load up on glass bottle Heinz ketchup. The stuff made in Canada is from Leamington, ON, and is made with "liquid sugar", from refined sugar cane apparently, while the stuff that Heinz makes in the U.S. contains glucose-fructose from a corn-syrup base.

I never realized it before these family members brought it up, but once you pay attention to the taste difference, wow!

I've never hated Dr. Pepper, but never craved it either. My soda vices are A&W Root Beer, Bitter Lemon, & Vanilla Coke depending on what side of the planet I'm at. A&W is hard to find in The Netherlands and Bitter Lemon is impossible to find in Taiwan. Finding Vanilla Coke anywhere at this day and age is like finding a golden ticket.

But wasn't Dr. Pepper supposed to be a mix between Coke & Root Beer?

Mexican Coke IS better

Great. Next we'll see a review on the deck with mirrors and rolled up bank notes...

Dr. Pepper this is Vegemite, Vegemite this is Dr. Pepper. I think you both will be fast friends because you are adored in your native lands and completely misunderstood by outsiders. Would either of you like a QdO Corona or PL Montecarlos? :)

Where to begin.....

Well for starters it's Texas born and bred. The original factory was in Dublin, Tx and is still there, but most of the operations moved to Waco, Tx. Waco, which is where I attended college, also hosts the Dr. Pepper Museum, which is really cool and historic. Dr. Pepper has always had a very strong and important relationship with Baylor University. On campus, Dr. Pepper is free. There is a historic event know as Dr. Pepper hour, which is featured on many of the old cans and bottles, and anywhere on campus, during the nostalgic Dr. Pepper Hours, you can go drink as much as you want for free, or even make a Dr. Pepper Float!! The recipe that nationally bottled is not the same recipe that is availiable to residents in Texas. There is a complete seperate batch of Dr. Pepper, still bottled at Dublin, and is commonly referred to as Dublin Dr. Pepper, and it uses pure Cane Sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup, (the way it used to be made) and it makes a very big difference in taste. It is easy to find here in Texas in Stores and in many restaurants. It is spoken as somewhat of a legend among those outside of Texas, but it's a very real and plentiful product.

I remember as a child traveling to New York City in the mid to late 80's early 90's and it was impossible to find anywhere. No one had ever even heard of it. Now it's all over the country, but trust me, it's not the same stuff that we buy down here!!!!!!!!!!!! Dublin Dr. Pepper is a rarity for those outside of the State, but for us, it's commonly found on most grocery store shelves, gas station coolers and on tap at restaurants.

Sidenote:

Big Red is also made in Waco and by Dr. Pepper and they also make a Retro Big Red with Cane Sugar that is great, and if you are ever in the Dr. Pepper Museum, visit the Soda Fountain shop and get a REAL Big Red or Dr. Pepper Float!

What's not to like about Dr. pepper? This stuff is delicious. Regular, diet, the new "10" marketed for men. It's all good. I guess it's the American version of Vegemite. Growing up in the states, it's hard to find soda drinking people who don't appreciate it.

wish I could describe what I like about it, I only drink the Diet version, havent had the normal drink in 30+ years.

I once had a boss, back in the days when you could smoke in your own office - she smoked 2 packs a day and each morning carried a 12 pack of DDP (diet dr pep) under her arm which she drank during the day.

I dont think she is alive anymore to say the least.