Never been a fan of Dr. Pepper either...there's just something not right about the taste of it, but can't put my finger on it. Bleeech...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me, the best soda I can ever remember were the glass bottled cokes in mexico during my youth.

Mexican Coke is also widely available in these parts too. I like it alot!

If you mix Dr. Pepper with Southen Comfort, it tastes like a delightful Root Beer.

I also love it.although I don't drink much soda anymore. It's got that unique taste....Can't describe it. I once drank a bottle of Jim Beam with Dr. Pepper with my cuz while at deer hunting camp.I think he called it some sort of Bull Dog, maybe Colarado Bull Dog?

I love Dr. Pepper. I drink only diet drinks now and enjoy Diet Dr. Pepper but the new love of my life is Dr. Pepper 10. There must be crack in the recipe because it sure is addicting.

Where to begin.....

Well for starters it's Texas born and bred. The original factory was in Dublin, Tx and is still there, but most of the operations moved to Waco, Tx. Waco, which is where I attended college, also hosts the Dr. Pepper Museum, which is really cool and historic. Dr. Pepper has always had a very strong and important relationship with Baylor University. On campus, Dr. Pepper is free. There is a historic event know as Dr. Pepper hour, which is featured on many of the old cans and bottles, and anywhere on campus, during the nostalgic Dr. Pepper Hours, you can go drink as much as you want for free, or even make a Dr. Pepper Float!! The recipe that nationally bottled is not the same recipe that is availiable to residents in Texas. There is a complete seperate batch of Dr. Pepper, still bottled at Dublin, and is commonly referred to as Dublin Dr. Pepper, and it uses pure Cane Sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup, (the way it used to be made) and it makes a very big difference in taste. It is easy to find here in Texas in Stores and in many restaurants. It is spoken as somewhat of a legend among those outside of Texas, but it's a very real and plentiful product.

I remember as a child traveling to New York City in the mid to late 80's early 90's and it was impossible to find anywhere. No one had ever even heard of it. Now it's all over the country, but trust me, it's not the same stuff that we buy down here!!!!!!!!!!!! Dublin Dr. Pepper is a rarity for those outside of the State, but for us, it's commonly found on most grocery store shelves, gas station coolers and on tap at restaurants.

Sidenote:

Big Red is also made in Waco and by Dr. Pepper and they also make a Retro Big Red with Cane Sugar that is great, and if you are ever in the Dr. Pepper Museum, visit the Soda Fountain shop and get a REAL Big Red or Dr. Pepper Float!

If the Dublin Dr Pepper is the stuff that has the imperial sugar logo on the front, then you can find it in Australia. I worked at The Reject Shop for several years and we used to get it in every now and then, quite often last year actually. I absolutely love the stuff I guess because it has such a unique flavour. I wish you could still get it here in the 2L bottles.

Ok...own up who actually likes this drink whisper.gif

I have tried it every time I am in the sates for over 20 years. The last time recently in Boston and for the life of me I can't work out its "attraction".

Fill me in.......please...fill me in biggrin.png

seriously? you try and pour diet coke or some crap into my good whisky and you whinge about this?

Wow Ken you really are rampant about that incident aren't you :-P Maybe the heats becoming all too much

If the Dublin Dr Pepper is the stuff that has the imperial sugar logo on the front, then you can find it in Australia. I worked at The Reject Shop for several years and we used to get it in every now and then, quite often last year actually. I absolutely love the stuff I guess because it has such a unique flavour. I wish you could still get it here in the 2L bottles.

I was reading that the Dublin plant was sued and had to shut down. Is this true?

seriously? you try and pour diet coke or some crap into my good whisky and you whinge about this?

I'm with Ken, almost broke a buddy of mines hand off when he tried to add soda to my George T Stagg bourbon!

I was reading that the Dublin plant was sued and had to shut down. Is this true?

Sued - Yes (Contract disputes)

Shut Down - No

Dublin Dr. Pepper is on my bucket list! being so rare outside of Texas, and I've never come across one in Canada. What's the taste difference between the canned/bottled stuff and the Dublin Dr. Pepper?

It is on mine too

I am A Texan and while I do like DP I have to say it is something you have to be brought up on as a kid or it might never take...kinda like Vegiemite/ Marmite :)

I'm with Ken, almost broke a buddy of mines hand off when he tried to add soda to my George T Stagg bourbon!

I watched in horror when we had a party recently and my significant other started mixing my bookers with coke for her best friend. Just about blew a head gasket!

All of my bourbons and rums are on the bottom shelf of the liquor cabinet. The wife knows not to touch anything on the bottom shelf.

Indeed! Snatched up several cases at Costco when they brought it in for the holidays. Yummy!

It is permanently available in the local Costco and I can also buy the Mexican Pepsi (similar deal about the sugar) in my neighborhood Mexican store - NorCal rules ;)

Now David, when are you holding the Soda box pass again? :D

Here in the UK Dr Pepper is owned by the CocaCola Company, and is so tasty! At uni I got through 2L in one day lol. I also find it pairs well with cigars, any cigar for that matter!

Tapatalk'd from my Note II part Tres

No joke.

I know a guy whose last name is Pepper, he used to be a Sergeant in the military who went to medical school, now he's a doctor. When I told him "let me get this straight, you used to be Sergeant Pepper and now you'r Doctor Pepper"? He looked at me with a blank stare and didn't know what I was talking about.

I hardly drink soda any more, and while I was mostly a Coke guy, I always loved Dr. Pepper. I liked the cherry flavor and the almond that Keith referred to.

Now if you want a really vile soft drink, try Moxie. No way to describe it... take the sweetness out of a cola and add something bitter I guess. It has a regional following in the US, mainly New England... especially Maine.

Rick