Cigars losing there smell

I have been using a 16 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler to keep my boxes in for about 8 months now. I keep it maintained at 66 degrees and 64% humidity. Just recently I have been noticing that the cigars are losing there smell. Some cigars almost smell like nothing. They look, feel and smoke just fine. But there is no smell to the cigar and this is concerning to me. Any ideas what could cause this?

I get that too sometimes in my 75 count humi. I don't tend to worry if they smoke fine! :D

Tapatalk'd from my Note II part Tres

This is a hypothetical from me:

If you are opening your wineador everyday you are losing a lot of air and replacing it with new air. I use my wineador for storage (Ray calls it hording, some call it aging) and I try to open it has infrequently as possible. My goal is to create a perfect environment for my cigars to age properly and that means equilibrium. If you are constantly opening and closing your wineador you are disrupting the little ecosystem you are trying to create. Try using a normal desktop humidor and stocking it with a couple of months worth of cigars to combat this.

Also, if you are losing the smell from your cigars then you may very well be losing essential oils that are in the wrappers. The cigars may smoke fine in the short term, but you may actually be drying them out. Remember you don't have a hydrometer attached to every single cigar. Whatever a hydrometer reads is only for that one point in your humidor and doesn't mean anything for the other areas. Opening your wineador often may be an issue to address. How many times have you had to recharge your beads to hold your Rh in the last 8 months? I have only need to do it once and that was only because the bottom of my humidor had dropped to 61% Rh.

This is a hypothetical from me:

If you are opening your wineador everyday you are losing a lot of air and replacing it with new air. I use my wineador for storage (Ray calls it hording, some call it aging) and I try to open it has infrequently as possible. My goal is to create a perfect environment for my cigars to age properly and that means equilibrium. If you are constantly opening and closing your wineador you are disrupting the little ecosystem you are trying to create. Try using a normal desktop humidor and stocking it with a couple of months worth of cigars to combat this.

Also, if you are losing the smell from your cigars then you may very well be losing essential oils that are in the wrappers. The cigars may smoke fine in the short term, but you may actually be drying them out. Remember you don't have a hydrometer attached to every single cigar. Whatever a hydrometer reads is only for that one point in your humidor and doesn't mean anything for the other areas. Opening your wineador often may be an issue to address. How many times have you had to recharge your beads to hold your Rh in the last 8 months? I have only need to do it once and that was only because the bottom of my humidor had dropped to 61% Rh.

I have been opening the cooler daily or every other day and they have been fine for the first 6-7 months. Just recently the smell has gone. I have only recharged my beads 2 times and i have never had the humidity go below 62.

What are you using for humidification? My experience with crystals is that they can absorb some of the smell. Haven't used beads yet, but I woud imagine cat litter would do the same thing.

1 lb of heartfelt beads in a tupperware container on the top shelf.

Move it to the bottom. Humidity rises, so yours most likely isn't going anywhere unless you have a fan set up to push it down. I have my beads in the bag they came with over the drain at the back on the bottom. I have a fan set at the top to recirculate air back down every 15 minutes for 5 minutes. This keeps air flowing inside the environment on a continual basis.

Also, think very hard about a desktop. It may have taken 6-7 months for this to occur, so what could happen over the next 6-7? Better safe than sorry.

What are you using for humidification? My experience with crystals is that they can absorb some of the smell. Haven't used beads yet, but I woud imagine cat litter would do the same thing.

I would have to second this it might be the cat litter (if thats what your using), a good idea would also to never store the cigar naked always keep them in their org box so it creates a nice ecosystem side the box and the ciagrs get all that spanish ceder scent.

@ my celestial friend.

... there is a huge difference between the smell of hoarded cigars verses aged cigars. Hoarded cigars don't give up their aroma easily (they hoard it). While aged cigars know that they have only a limited life span according to experts and insist on decay, thus obeying the rules set forth by the grand cigar guru!!!

Take a stand. Become the master of your humidor!!! I suggest you label your cigars as "hoarded" cigars so that they understand their role!!! -LOL My cigars know better than to lose their smell. I keep them in line by breaking up their families and periodically burning one of the village to teach the rest of them a lesson! king.gif

-the Tyrant Pig!pig.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

whip.gif

They all usually do what I say, but those darn RyJ Cazadores are always looking to make trouble. . .

... hoarding has it problems too! I regularly 'age' the weak and kill off the strong!wink.png

Someday my friend we are going to have a smoke together and share notes and questionable practices! Until then... keep hoarding! Cheers!

-Piggy

Move it to the bottom. Humidity rises, so yours most likely isn't going anywhere unless you have a fan set up to push it down. I have my beads in the bag they came with over the drain at the back on the bottom. I have a fan set at the top to recirculate air back down every 15 minutes for 5 minutes. This keeps air flowing inside the environment on a continual basis.

Also, think very hard about a desktop. It may have taken 6-7 months for this to occur, so what could happen over the next 6-7? Better safe than sorry.

It is going to difficult to fit 18 boxes into a desktop.

I would have to second this it might be the cat litter (if thats what your using), a good idea would also to never store the cigar naked always keep them in their org box so it creates a nice ecosystem side the box and the ciagrs get all that spanish ceder scent.

They are not being stored naked. They are being stored in the boxes. The original boxes.

As of the past month i do not have any humidification system in there. No beads, nothing. Just 18 boxes and 2 hydrometers that read the same

As of the past month i do not have any humidification system in there. No beads, nothing. Just 18 boxes and 2 hydrometers that read the same

I would recommend this for your hygros:

Try the Salt Test:

Luckily, as nature would have it, when salt and water (NaCl and H2O for you studious types), are in a saturated solution at equilibrium, the resultant humidity is 75%. This gives a fantastic reference point to calibrate our hygrometer. There is an easy way to determine if your hygrometer is accurate. Here's the procedure you should use: you need a ziploc bag, a screw-on beer bottle cap (or other small container) a small amount of salt (regular 'ole table salt), and water.

Place the salt in the bottle cap (or other small container).

Dampen the salt with water. Do not put so much in that the salt gets "sloppy". You want a damp pile of salt in the bottle cap.

Place both the hygrometer and the bottle cap full of damp salt in the ziploc bag and seal it well. (It is important not to let air on or out while the test is going on.)

Keep it like this for 24 hours

After 24 hours in the damp salt environment, the actual humidity inside the bag will be 75%. Compare it to your hygrometer, your hygrometer should also read 75%. If not, you will then know exactly how far off your hygrometer is. If it's off, note the amount and direction that it actually reads and be sure to add or subtract that amount when reading the hygrometer. If the hygrometer has a control to adjust it (either the needle or the display), you can set the hygrometer to 75% immediately after the test.

You should salt test your hygrometer every 6 months or so to be sure of the accuracy.

Are they losing their smell, or is the (presumably low) temperature of the fridge masking them?

I didn't even think of this!!!!!! Is that true? Will say 58F have the affect of muting the smell of the cigars vs 70F? Intriguing...paging Ray, oh Ray?

+1 for Wil :)

I have had this same experience where I open my humidor and... nothing -

I am not greeted with the same sensation Ralph Lauren must get when he goes into his barn.

But then, a few days later, after worrying about it a bit, the wonderful scent is back.

I have come to the conclusion that there may be a few factors at work here -

1) the temp and humidity of the humidor plays a factor

2) the ambient room conditions play a factor

3) sometimes YOU are a big component when your nose is just on sabatical

and you didnt realize it

( you are about to get a cold, open some soup )

Put all three of these together and holy crap, where did my cigars go!

So I wouldnt worry about it, the smell will be back, I promise.

Check back with us in a month and let us know.

post-4863-0-14521700-1357851439_thumb.jp