Sourcing spanish cedar

This is a question mainly for those living near czar central.

I know people have asked about finding spanish cedar around oz before but does anyone know a source of spanish cedar around the Brisbane (Australia) region?

Ive confirmed that a NSW mob have it http://www.boutiquetimbers.com/ but i am wondering if there is any closer to home that doesnt need posting.

thanks

I'm not sure if this helps you.. But I was looking at these guys not so long ago. Still am I just havent settled on a humidor yet. :/

I'm not sure if this is true in Australia but here in the NE US where I live it is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH cheaper to find a hardwoods supplier and drive to their store as opposed to buying it over the internet. I've seen prices on the internet go for as much as $50 board foot!!! Crazy! I can walk in a store that sells hardwoods and get Spanish Cedar for $5.25/board foot (a board foot is 12"x12"x1"). I'd check around where you live before I bought anything on the internet.

I'm not sure if this helps you.. But I was looking at these guys not so long ago. Still am I just havent settled on a humidor yet. :/

Sorry do you mean you were looking at boutique timbers? or another mob but forgot to add the link in your post? probably the former but I was hoping you have another source :D

I'm not sure if this is true in Australia but here in the NE US where I live it is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH cheaper to find a hardwoods supplier and drive to their store as opposed to buying it over the internet. I've seen prices on the internet go for as much as $50 board foot!!! Crazy! I can walk in a store that sells hardwoods and get Spanish Cedar for $5.25/board foot (a board foot is 12"x12"x1"). I'd check around where you live before I bought anything on the internet.

agreed.

I did call most timber places around town that i could see on a google search.. but no luck

FYI for others around Oz looking for cedrela odorata - Boutique Timbers have some and have quoted with postage a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

I am putting some shelves in my wineador and bought 4 sheets 9mm thick 280mm square - AUD$30 including postage. I think thats a good deal

...but for future reference if anyone knows a place local to Brisbane that would be handy also.

This may be a little help:

http://www.friendsof...wtopic=37669

Also, if you do a titles only search using cedar, you'll find a couple of threads with sources in Sydney and other parts of Oz.

Thanks Colt, I have yet to call the Harris Cabinet Makers place that Rob mentioned in 2006, they might be a source.

Hehe my bad..http://wineadors.com/ is the site I was referring too.. Although its not Australian the prices aren't too bad for a made to measure ready to rock product. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Zacapa,

Just read your post, I have Spanish Cedar in various sizes if you need any more in the future.

I'm not a Timber Suppler, but someone who enjoys making boxes and have hoarded a bit of timber over the years.

This Spanish Cedar it is from my private stock but I have more than i'll ever use if that helps.

Cheers

Steve

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 3/17/2013 at 4:22 AM, fineboxes said:

I have Spanish Cedar in various sizes if you need any more in the future.

I'm not a Timber Suppler, but someone who enjoys making boxes and have hoarded a bit of timber over the years.

This Spanish Cedar it is from my private stock but I have more than i'll ever use if that helps.

Hi Fineboxes,

Do you still have any spanish cedar? I'm chasing some, and live in Brisbane. Keen to get my hands on some