An interesting old find..

A Cool Old Find: Clear Havana Cigars

One of my friend's father was a cigar smoker here in the United States and when he passed there were many full unopened cigar boxes in his cabinet humidor he kept everything in. Everything seemed to be well humidified because some of the cigar boxes without cellophane smoked well and has plume on them.

Anyways, this full box of White Owl Invincibles was one of the few boxes I was lucky enough to take home which is from the early to mid 1940's I gathered and is a clear-havana cigar. As indicated on the box, "blended with havana." As to how much Cuban tobacco they put in each cigar, I have no idea. I particularly enjoy the box graphics and design. Each cigar is intended to be 8 to 15 cents it says, so that's not too cheap nor super expensive for the time. I was shocked how clean and perfect the exterior of the box looked (it seemed untouched since the time it was boxed).

The tobacco smell was mild but clearly there. The wrappers on the cigar look in pretty good shape for being 60-70 years old. I honestly have no idea how they will smoke and I will try one in a month or so.

The best part about the whole experience was being able to open up these cigars with a knife and box opener and unveiling what laid beneath. For me, that is one of the best feelings, opening up a box with no idea what lays beneath.

I can't find much information on these cigars other than a bunch of empty boxes seen being sold on eBay and obviously the fact that now this company is a cheap tobacco mass made company that is seen with "blunts" in gas stations. So, any information on them would be of help too of maybe their value also.

Here are some photos:

post-6194-0-00408800-1358098740_thumb.jp

post-6194-0-25086500-1358098766_thumb.jp

post-6194-0-93602000-1358098784_thumb.jp

post-6194-0-01132300-1358098804_thumb.jp

post-6194-0-07867200-1358098835_thumb.jp

post-6194-0-72971400-1358098853_thumb.jp

Thanks for looking

Is this the one with the hole in the tip?

Yes these do have one. Which I've found with smoking some other vintage clear Havana cigars with holed tips..they surprisingly have worked well and I didn't need to cutt more off.

Thanks for all the comments guys. And yes I plan to do a tasting. I honestly am going to wait until it warms up a bit because I hate smoking in this rigid cold. If there is a day above 50 soon I will. I'll post photos and review too. I've had some 1930s white owls which weren't made with Cuban tobacco which were decent. Smokes with so much age on them are a real delicate thing. Almost an art. You never really know what you will get.

I was able to acquire some White Owls about 8 years ago that had the tip - and they were also definite Havana tobacco. Smoked really well too

Yes, great feedback, but, have you smoked one yet?

Not yet. I am gonna let them sit in the humidor for a month or so just to adjust to their new home. And its in the single digits where I live so smoking isn't the most comfortable thing to be doing outside. I will post a review of one when I do smoke one.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to chime in so late on this thread, the box dates to 1951, the blue tax stamp on top indicates series 121, for easy dating you add 21 + 1930 and you get 1951. White Owl was the largest selling cigar in the USA in 1931 producing 520 million cigar per year. They are a fantastic clear Havana cigar!

Sorry to chime in so late on this thread, the box dates to 1951, the blue tax stamp on top indicates series 121, for easy dating you add 21 + 1930 and you get 1951. White Owl was the largest selling cigar in the USA in 1931 producing 520 million cigar per year. They are a fantastic clear Havana cigar!

Thanks for the info!

Did Finecigar ever smoke one? If so what'd you think bro?

I smoked 1 and it was pretty tasty, pretty mild and smooth. I will do a review of another one some day soon. It's been raining where I live for like two weeks straight almost!