Cigars and tea

Wil

I've recently started drinking tea while I smoke, if only to limit my alcohol consumption! I've been pleasantly surprised how well cigars and tea go together.

I particularly like the maltiness of Assam teas. I've tried Darjeeling but don't quite 'get' it yet - too subtle perhaps.

Right now I'm sitting outside on a warm summer night enjoying a PLP with a cup of honeybush tea. Goes beautifully with the cigar.

Any tea connoisseurs out there?

Yep...is a great pairing. Of late I have been drinking Chai tea and Madagascan vanilla.. I also like Pai Mu Tan, loose leaf white tea..Gives your palate that strong earthiness that goes so well with cigars.

I used to drink a lot of green tea while smoking when I lived in Taiwan, now that I'm back in Europe I tend to stick to coffee, but tea and cigars go together great! An iced honey green tea with a nice medium bodied smoke, or a pot of hot dark green tea with a full bodied stick.

I drink tea with my cigars as default - even if I have a stronger drink I´ll bring tea with me.

I´ve seen someone post that Pu erh tea should be something speciel - have yet to try it, but from what i´ve read about it it has similarities to cigars (in terms of aging potential, range og flavours, collectibilty,vintages etc.

I drink tea with my cigars as default - even if I have a stronger drink I´ll bring tea with me.

I´ve seen someone post that Pu erh tea should be something speciel - have yet to try it, but from what i´ve read about it it has similarities to cigars (in terms of aging potential, range og flavours, collectibilty,vintages etc.

Man, Pu erh tea is a whole other ballpark! I've seen discs of pu erh tea that would make a box of Behikes look like a tin of short fillers price-wise. My aunt gave a friend of mine, who is both a cigar collector and budding tea-enthusiast a couple of small discs, but I have yet to try any of that tea myself....

I was just joking though! :) I thought there was a tea topic started by thealejandro or graham_uk a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

Personally, I am not a fan of tannin + tannin...makes my mouth go wonky. I do like Hong Kong milk tea though, takes the bite out.

I've enjoyed this particular type of black tea, Lapsang Souchong. It's got an extra smoky flavor because the tea leaves were smoke dried over pinewood fire in the process of production. The smoky aroma, I think, goes wonderfully with cigars!

Also rumor has it, it was Sir Winston Churchill's preferred tea for pairing with his cigars.

I like jasmine black tea with some sweetened condensed milk, when I don't feel like coffee. I'll do pu'ehr as well sometimes. I picked up some old stuff when I was in China. It was quite pricey!

I love green tea with a cigar! I get mine directly from Hibiki-an in Japan. I like the Sencha in the morning or afternoon, and the Houjicha ( Bancha ) in the evening,as it is roasted and low in caffiene. Good stuff! Many times I like coffee with a stronger cigar, and the tea is a nice change of pace.

http://www.hibiki-an.com/