Is this a Genuine Cuban Cigar?

Trevor2118

Very well done, Trevor.

This is definitely something that should perhaps be eventually moved to the "Classic Posts" area. Even better yet, maybe a "Newbie Tutorial" sub-forum area, with this being one of the stickies in that area, would be a more relevant idea.

Either way, this is definitely something that's a huge benefit to both newbies to Cuban cigars, as well as cigar forums. A lot of in depth info there that should help to answer a lot of questions.

Kudos to you for having the patience to put it all together so concisely. Well done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this a Genuine Cuban Cigar? How many times has this question been asked in a forum? Unfortunately, forums are full of well-intentioned advice, which (regrettably) is often wrong and is invariably

There is an "English market selection" sticker on boxes imported into UK and it is portrayed as higher quality. Also, some Swiss vendors have claimed to be receiving superior stock. It's all a crock o

Thanks for a great post. I have been reading and researching all I can find here and everywhere trying to learn all I can

It should be a reasonable indicator (2cm = almost an inch). Short filler is chopped tobacco...not small leaf. If it looks wrong, then you have justification for opening the rest of the cigar.

Fantastic work as usual Trevor. Your knowledge on cuban cigars is astounding, and this is priceless information for people starting out in the world of cuban cigars. Cheers mate. Brilliant work

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent contribution, thanks.

One of my friends gave me a fake Cohiba Piramides yesterday just for the fun of it, reckons its Cuban tobacco and smokes just fine.

Incorrect band, incorrect ring gauge, came in a box of 25 (never released in that size), box was unstamped and unsealed.

...bought on the street for $50.00 in Cuba.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any boxes with the DOP corner sticker that doesn't overlap the edges of the box? I have a box of Bolivar Belicosos Finos like that. The cigars look great just worried about the packaging.

A good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 months later...
McSquirelly, on 17 Jun 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:McSquirelly, on 17 Jun 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Just watch this guy thoroughly investigate fake cigars bought online.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDrJoeShow/playlists?sort=dd&shelf_id=4&view=50

pooped.gif I'm exhausted after that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/8/2013 at 5:33 PM, Trevor2118 said:

Cigars that may be genuine but mistaken as fakes are: special factory productions, factory trials, pre-production cigars, etc.

Is it also true that Cuban cigars are made in various qualities (with varying prices) for different regions of the world? for example certain European countries getting the highest quality cigars, etc.? or is that a myth/misunderstanding/made-up stuff?

myth propagated by unscrupulous vendors.

You have seen how hard Rob has to hunt for superior stock.

Based on my purchases from other vendors, really good boxes are rare .

Rob will send marginal stock back, bless him..............:buddies:

Is it also true that Cuban cigars are made in various qualities (with varying prices) for different regions of the world? for example certain European countries getting the highest quality cigars, etc.? or is that a myth/misunderstanding/made-up stuff?

There is an "English market selection" sticker on boxes imported into UK and it is portrayed as higher quality. Also, some Swiss vendors have claimed to be receiving superior stock. It's all a crock of BS, made up by vendors/importers as selling arguments. You can get good or bad boxes, no matter where you buy. Some of the best boxes I've had were blind buys from
grey market vendors and I've had plugged PSP sticks. Your best bet is to select the box yourself from a vendors inventory, if you can. If you can't, Rob can take some of the guesswork out of it for you, but that is still not a guarantee for a perfect cigar.
  • Like 2

On 09/09/2017 at 5:52 PM, Lotusguy said:

There is an "English market selection" sticker on boxes imported into UK and it is portrayed as higher quality. Also, some Swiss vendors have claimed to be receiving superior stock. It's all a crock of BS, made up by vendors/importers as selling arguments. You can get good or bad boxes, no matter where you buy. Some of the best boxes I've had were blind buys from
grey market vendors and I've had plugged PSP sticks. Your best bet is to select the box yourself from a vendors inventory, if you can. If you can't, Rob can take some of the guesswork out of it for you, but that is still not a guarantee for a perfect cigar.

This. Very much this.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Unfortunately, the single most critical advise for avoiding fakes, seems to be omitted. Don't buy cigars worth counterfeiting! To produce a high quality box of fakes costs nearly $100. If you buy Vegueros, Super Partagas, H Upman Majestic, RyJ Coronitas Cedros, you can be 99% sure they are not counterfeits. Montecristo 4, is probably safe. Montecristo 2 or any Cohiba, you just gave someone a reason to counterfeit! People have bought fake Cohibas in Cuban state stores, the employees steal them and replace them with fakes, therefore. no source is safe.

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, mikinva said:

Unfortunately, the single most critical advise for avoiding fakes, seems to be omitted. Don't buy cigars worth counterfeiting! To produce a high quality box of fakes costs nearly $100. If you buy Vegueros, Super Partagas, H Upman Majestic, RyJ Coronitas Cedros, you can be 99% sure they are not counterfeits. Montecristo 4, is probably safe. Montecristo 2 or any Cohiba, you just gave someone a reason to counterfeit! People have bought fake Cohibas in Cuban state stores, the employees steal them and replace them with fakes, therefore. no source is safe.

Funny that a fake box of Cohiba or other "high end cigar Marca" will sell for 25 to 40 CUC/$ on the streets of Havana...

The fakes on the streets of Havana wouldn't fool anyone that has smoked Cubans. They don't even come close to looking real. The ones online that are passed as real have pretty good boxes, halograms etc. You have to look really close at boxes, labels and cigar construction to tell a $80-$100 box is fake. If you buy Vegueros, Super Part, H Up Majestic or RyJ Coronitas Cedros online, they are most likely real! Have you seen a high quality box of fakes for 25-40? Those cheap ones on the street can only fool someone that has no idea what he is looking at. The cheap fakes are meant for non-smokers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...