Original 2010 BHK's. Are they the pinnacle of the release?

BHK Best of.  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When the BHK line came out in 2010 the cigar world was abuzz. Many tout the original 2010 release Behike's as being the best release. For those of you smoke BHK's frequently, a few questions.

As far as 2010 BHK's go. Are they well revered across the board or are they relegated to one or more of the vitolas? I keep reading on how the BHK52's were considered the best.

In comparison to the 2010 release. How do you think the 2011 and 2012 BHK's compare?

Please take some time to answer the poll questions as well.

I think people read too much into it, the original release must have been aged a couple of years to justify the high price. When they took off they had to ramp up production and didn't have the time to let them age for a year or so. Give 2011 release until the end of this year and I will suspect they will be just as good as 2010 original release.

Have to say I am feeling less and less love for these Rolls Royces of the CC world. Seems you can get more bang for the buck. When I was in Miami a couple of weeks ago I ran into a couple of bling bling Toronto guys smoking on a patio at Bal Harbour. They called out to me,

"Hey Lisa! Come join us! We're smoking Bee-Hee-Kees!"

Yikees

post-8371-0-77826600-1360606012_thumb.jp

I have smoked many of all 3 sizes in each year since release. The 2010's are imo head and shoulders above each other year. I have smoked stunning examples of the 52/54 but yet in the 56. The 2010 56's i have smoked were at the time of release so 2010's i do believe the boxes i have been ageing on the 56's from 2010 will be stunning but really just need more time. I am ageing all sizes of my 2010 stock. Anything newer i smoke to simply keep my hands off the 2010's until i get the time behind them that i want.

Agreed...until that last sentence. I believe they wanted to make sure these would not be a flop and were insisting on only the highest quality tobacco and rollers working on these. When demand exploded, they were forced to move production, allow other rollers and dare I say even use lower quality tobacco. April and March 2010 were, and still are, great (although I obviously don't smoke these frequently or regularly) while I have pretty much given up hope for anything 2011. They were bland on first release, and no amount of age will add any deep rich flavors to them imho. BHK 52 was nice from 2010, 54 was better, 56 was just too big for me to enjoy. Recent (early 2012) BHK 56 have actually been MUCH better than OR.

Some serious implications there...

The only reason why most people would continue to shell out mucho dinero for the BHKs is because they have medio tiempo and are manufactured in El Laguito.

If this is no longer the case then it is almost fraudulent to sell them at such marked up price.

Just my personal opinion brother. No implication based on fact or anything of the sort.

I don't think all BHK are rolled in El Laguito anymore and I certainly don't think all BHK have the same amount (or any even) medio tempo. Again, just opinion and not fact. HSA can say otherwise. They say a lot of things that are straight up not true.

The medio tiempo adds a very distinct flavor profile to the bhk, you really can't taste it?

I've got to wonder how "rare" Medio Tiempo is. The NC Partagas Black Label brand has plenty of it. "The highlight of the cigar is a jet black sun grown medio tiempo Connecticut broadleaf wrapper. source. We're talking < $5 cigars wrapped in the stuff. IMO they're horrendous cigars. They nearly killed me. :covermouth:

Wrapper.. not a few leaves used for filler. Given that NC's might have more tobacco fields to pull from, you still have to wonder how rare this leaf is. Can it really be that there isn't enough of this stuff in Cuba?

At El Laguito all we saw being made was BHK's. It could be that they only produce them in batches and switch when the tobacco supply for that batch ends. If the next available batch was for Siglo VI's, I'm sure they'd work on those.

One thing is certain. The BHK line, despite it's high pricing has caught on. Habanos is going to milk it for all it's worth. I'd hate to think that the product would be rolled without the medio tiempo solely for reasons of integrity. The handfuls of BHK54's I smoked in 2011 were certainly more enjoyable than the fresh 2012's I've recently had. But age could account for that rather than content.

Ten bucks says in the next three years Hoyo d M will issue a Silver Whammer Bammer edition Virgin Rolled $350 for 10 in a lacquer box, 54 RG x 5". It will do everything but vibrate and make your dreams come true.

*SWB VR we'll call it

Ten bucks says in the next three years Hoyo d M will issue a Silver Whammer Bammer edition Virgin Rolled $350 for 10 in a lacquer box, 54 RG x 5". It will do everything but vibrate and make your dreams come true.

*SWB VR we'll call it

I'm down with virgin rolled $35 sticks ... just sayin' innocent.gif

I've got to wonder how "rare" Medio Tiempo is.

Wrapper.. not a few leaves used for filler. Given that NC's might have more tobacco fields to pull from, you still have to wonder how rare this leaf is. Can it really be that there isn't enough of this stuff in Cuba?

Not only more fields to select from but i wonder about the quality of the leaf?

I've got to wonder how "rare" Medio Tiempo is.

Regarding Cuban MT, my understanding (if I recall correctly), is that it is four to six smaller leaves at the very top of the plant. So when compared to other primings, perhaps it might be considered rarer / scarcer - in shorter supply.

I don't know what they mean with regards to the NC PBL wrappers, but in venturing a guess (and only a guess), they might simply mean the top priming of the plant large enough to use as a wrapper (broad leaves are, well, large).

Regarding Cuban MT, my understanding (if I recall correctly), is that it is four to six smaller leaves at the very top of the plant. So when compared to other primings, perhaps it might be considered rarer / scarcer - in shorter supply.

I don't know what they mean with regards to the NC PBL wrappers, but in venturing a guess (and only a guess), they might simply mean the top priming of the plant large enough to use as a wrapper (broad leaves are, well, large).

I was thinking this as well. NC companies seem to take liberties with the terminology on many cigar products, such as maduro. No way some of those black tar sticks are maduro, just because they look like they have been dipped in brown paint.

What I find really interesting, calling a company Havana/Habanos or Cuba and showing Cuban cigars when you only sell NC's...

http://habanosyherma...gars/Brands.asp

Sorry to take the thread off topic... Back to BHK's!

I was thinking this as well. NC companies seem to take liberties with the terminology on many cigar products, such as maduro.

What I find really interesting, calling a company Havana/Habanos or Cuba and showing Cuban cigars when you only sell NC's...

Lisa, I know nothing about the company mentioned.... I agree that the "Cuban Connection" is often used as a marketing tool, but I imagine that for some it is a pride in heritage.

Personally, I do wish that the NC producers who try and tie their cigars in with those of Cuba would instead inform us, by extolling the virtues of the terroirs of their cigars.

As for terminology like maduro, I think part of that falls on me to know. In the technical sense, for the most part, true maduro is a process and not so much a color. For me it's kind of like a wine label - here in my home country, a term like reserve can be used arbitrarily. I know that in in DOCs in Italy, for example, there are laws that determine when reserva can be used. While that doesn't much help someone new to cigars or wine, for me it is part of the process, and actually something I have, and still do, enjoy.

Regardless, I don't lose much sleep over any of this smile.png

No sleep lost at all... And thank you for the insight. Just commenting on the borrowing of terminology, and in the case of the link I supplied above, showing the CC's on the NC site.

Matthew and enjoy BHK's, especially 54's. We just think we have so many cigars that are just as great, or better, for much better value.

As for terminology like maduro, I think part of that falls on me to know. In the technical sense, for the most part, true maduro is a process and not so much a color. For me it's kind of like a wine label - here in my home country, a term like reserve can be used arbitrarily. I know that in in DOCs in Italy, for example, there are laws that determine when reserva can be used. While that doesn't much help someone new to cigars or wine, for me it is part of the process, and actually something I have, and still do, enjoy.

Great points Ross. Especially the one regarding the wine rating/grading/regulating like Italy's DOC pr France's AOC. Wine and cigar enjoyment enjoy so many commonalities. While I doubt that most tobacco producing countries would have the desire or discipline to do something similar I'd love to see it happen.

This thread calls for an organized blind tasting.

Otherwise we are dealing with perception and hot air. No offense to anyone.....

I agree, I will be willing to accept 3 examples of each vitola in the BHK line from 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 in donations. I will smoke 3 examples of each vitola from each year providing in depth reviews and photos. As a side bonus I will also include amusing anecdotes, cigar "fun facts" and on one of the tasting occassions I will sample all 9 cigars from a year of my choosing from smallest to largest vitola uploading the youtube video. I will make sure to have an independent party tape the session in case I blackout at any point. Resolution will be 1080p. I will not guarantee it will be safe to view at work.