JAPAN Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka

khamy

all good, might end up getting my duty free liquor quota in Kyoto, my guess is its gonna be cheaper then Tokyo prices.

fella's, i saw 10yr old laphroag half cast strength for less than $40

Where did you find malts in Kyoto? I could hardly find any when I was there. Ended up doing my malt shopping in Osaka.

BTW, just a tip: if you are planning to take the rail from Kyoto to Osaka, no point taking the Shinkansen (bullet train) as the distance is short. Regular Japan Rail (JR) service is quick enough and costs heaps less which means more money for shopping. It is a very picturesque ride even in winter. Also look out for the Suntory owned Yamazaki distillery on the way to Osaka from Kyoto by rail.

My friend, you are correct, i went down to Osaka yesterday by normal train using my JR pass, there was a lot more malt options down there as well, i only had a chance to check out one of the department stores Takashimaya and it had a decent selection and an assistant there that knew his stuff. i saw some big 2litre bottles sold in wooden cases so i might get one of those and maybe a yamazaki or one of the ones you suggested in japanese whiskeys and then maybe an ardbeg or macellan to resupply my stock. Lucky my wife is with me allowing me to take back 4 litres.

• 6 months later...

Nippon! haha Your trip might be over but I have a few places I can recommend

My Favorite cigar shops are in ranking order: La Casa Del Habano Iikura Tokyo. Love this place. The manager is a pro and will never let you smoke a bad Cigar. I recommend that if you buy a box and are not too knowledgeable about quality to have him open it and check every single one. If he finds one that is not up to the standard he will open another box and replace it for you. It is easy to find since it is near the US Embassy. This is a two story place with an awesome second floor.

Next is the Cigar Club at the Westin in Ebisu. The manager here is a kind woman who is very knowledgeable about drinks and matching them to cigars. Their Selection of drinks is not as varied as La Casa but what they lack in selection they make up in ambiance. There are only five Seats here but those five seats plus their selection will make you forget about your troubles.

Third is just a store without a lounging area but the Cigar Club Grand Hyatt in Roppongi. Beautiful women are their staff every time i go for presents. The two or three who greet you will tell you exactly what you need if you tell them about peoples experience and tastes. I love them since I'm not very good at buying cigars for other people but these ladies make it simple and have never disappointed.

In Shinjuku there is a Whiskey Bar that late at night you can smoke Cigars. Zoetrope is its name. Only Whiskey and the owner is pretty chill

3F, 7-10-14 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo

If you stay in Yotsuya at JAL City Yotsuya Sanchome turn right and you'll hit a corner with a cafe. Its a Korean owned Cafe and you'll see people's personal Whiskey. Walk in and have a cigar and some pretty good Korean Food.

If you go to kasukabe my home town you can Hit up Wild Cowboys next to the old Robinsons may which is now a Seibu. Its above a pachinko Parlor. Awesome American Type food and you can smoke your Hamaki!

Here are some Pictures of some of the Places

Wild Cowboyz in Kasukabe. The Owner is a Cigar Smoker and he likes pairings so ask him for recommendations. His English is so-so but enough to have a good time. Also If you play guitar he has instruments Set up and Karaoke. Owner is Beavis-san. Or just say Bibas = P

post-17505-0-63174200-1380056373_thumb.jpost-17505-0-01594500-1380056375_thumb.j

post-17505-0-62941800-1380056855_thumb.j

At the Westin. Lady Manager is cool. English meh at best but again Cigars don't need translation. Only 5 of the most comfortable chairs in the world! Grab yourself a Mojito here its just delicious as hell. But again place is small so just poke in. A little walk from Ebisu station almost the end of the line

post-17505-0-77321400-1380057064_thumb.jpost-17505-0-68280200-1380057058_thumb.j

I gotta get pictures from La Casa Del Habano Iikura but here is my buddy Pat. First Floor is where the Humidor is. Great Selection of Drinks and the best Part is this is a Two story Place. It looks small when you walk in but turn right and it opens up to a second floor

post-17505-0-72988500-1380057575_thumb.j

This is what is behind us

post-17505-0-74268500-1380057666_thumb.j

If you guys have Questions Let me Know!

• Like 1

When I was in Osaka, my wife and I stayed at the Dojima Hotel. It had a cigar lounge/whisky bar at the upper floors but the sticks are pricey. Bloody awesome selection of super and ultra premium Japanese whiskies though and scotches. Also they have a unique way of serving "neat on the rocks", one massive globe of ice in the glass to prevent excessive melting and dilution of the spirit.

Can only confirm about that unique ice "globe" - I was impressed when I watched the procedure of "carving" the ice ball in a bar and enjoyed the outcome .... :-)

post-4742-0-71944700-1380060122_thumb.jp

perfect10.gif

Yes I enjoy seeing it as well. Eternal in West Side of Kasukabe is a great place to have a Cigar and have the Globe of Ice with a Fantastic Whiskey. Just gotta avoid the Hostess Bars haha

Thanks Hiroshiro-san, they look like great photo's of some very good times!

I had a great time as well and while i was there for almost 3 weeks i could have easily stayed there longer. i found plenty of places to have a cigar. i had one while sipping cocktails and screaming out numbers in a karoake room in Roppongi, what a great night! Had another one at the bar at the top of Park Hyatt Hotel (thats actually where my profile picture is taken from). Also had one in the comfort and privacy of my room in a Ryokan in Kinosaki (despite it being advertised as non smoking management had no issues when i asked if i could light up!).

They do a big square cube of ice here in Sydney at the Hemisphere bar, prefer my single malt neat though.

Thanks Hiroshiro-san, they look like great photo's of some very good times!

I had a great time as well and while i was there for almost 3 weeks i could have easily stayed there longer. i found plenty of places to have a cigar. i had one while sipping cocktails and screaming out numbers in a karoake room in Roppongi, what a great night! Had another one at the bar at the top of Park Hyatt Hotel (thats actually where my profile picture is taken from). Also had one in the comfort and privacy of my room in a Ryokan in Kinosaki (despite it being advertised as non smoking management had no issues when i asked if i could light up!).

They do a big square cube of ice here in Sydney at the Hemisphere bar, prefer my single malt neat though.

Next Time if you are looking for a Good Time go to Club Feria in Roppongi. Beautiful Women and great drinks. Somewhat pricey but great place to enjoy a Cigar and take in the local party scene

• 1 year later...

Hey All I'll be back in Tokyo Area July 18th-July 28th. If anyone is free let me know!

• 5 months later...

Hiroshiro san,

I live in Yokosuka and can't always make it up to Tokyo. Do you know any good place in Yokohama? I've pass by all the time and haven't found a really good place, other than izakayas and coffee shops.

Best regards,

JOMA

Hiroshiro san,

I live in Yokosuka and can't always make it up to Tokyo. Do you know any good place in Yokohama? I've pass by all the time and haven't found a really good place, other than izakayas and coffee shops.

Best regards,

JOMA

The Sheraton has a really nice bar at the top floor.

Yea i don't go to Yokohama too often. I'll try the Sheraton as well. thanks lotusguy

• 5 years later...

Topping a very old thread in the unlikely event anyone has any new recommendations.  I found a few spots in Kobe but I'm based out of Kyoto now, and wondering if anyone has any recommendations either for shops with smoking areas or cigar bars where the drink prices won't kill you (even in Osaka).  I love Bar Cordon Noir but their whisky list is so good I can't get out of their without dropping way more than I wanted, even bringing my own cigars.