Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern

dangolf18

Love them both, but I'm a particular fan of Anthony Bourdain. Read his books Kitchen Confidential & Medium Raw and after finishing Kitchen Confidential I immediately applied for a part-time job in the kitchen and loved every painful moment of it! Love his attitude and mentality towards food and thanks to his show I became way more adventurous about food during my four years in Asia.

Also he "introduced" me to the coolest chefs: David Chang (whose Momofuku cookbook is amazing), Eric Ripert, & Ferran Adria.

I'm still frantically looking for Bourdain's graphic novel about a chef "Get Jiro"

Andrew Zimmern's Instagram is pretty cool btw! @chefaz

Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential is a great read. I love No Reservations....the Cuban episode was really well done.

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit.”

Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

I can watch The Layover or No Reservations all day. The Cuba episode made me want to visit even more. He's a great personality for TV

More Fun to watch with Zimern, definitely the more likeable of the two. Bourdain is great, but still has that A-hole complex about him. Either way, both shows are very entertaining, although some of Zimerns food is really gross.. That guy can eat a plate of bugs quicker than Shlomo can devour a bowl of Poutine!!! jester.gif

I know nothing about Zimmern. I've mixed feelings about Bourdain........

I've read Kitchen Confidential, watched A Cook's Tour and No Reservations. While I like a lot of what he's done, I've personally always found that he ends up coming across as needy, self centered, and insecure - needing to put others down in order to prop himself up. It does seem he's toned that down a bit over the past couple of years.

That said, I've never met him, so I've no idea what he's really like - please take the above as purely conversational regarding the persona, and not the person.

I've Get Jiro on order at the library.....

Love them both, but I'm a particular fan of Anthony Bourdain. Read his books Kitchen Confidential & Medium Raw and after finishing Kitchen Confidential I immediately applied for a part-time job in the kitchen and loved every painful moment of it! Love his attitude and mentality towards food and thanks to his show I became way more adventurous about food during my four years in Asia.

Also he "introduced" me to the coolest chefs: David Chang (whose Momofuku cookbook is amazing), Eric Ripert, & Ferran Adria.

I'm still frantically looking for Bourdain's graphic novel about a chef "Get Jiro"

actually read one of two of his novels (the bamboo something rings a vague bell) years ago before i ever heard of bourdain or kitchen confidential. not bad. have enjoyed some of his shows but they can get a bit too much 'look at me, i am just so cool and the program is about me, me, me' but when not going down that alley, he can be very entertaining and insightful. never seen anything by the other bloke. not even sure if he is available out here.

met ferran adria a few years back and spent an arvo at his laboratory. utterly amazing. he was very tolerant, given everything had to go via an interpreter.

as for cookbooks, have dozens but hard to beat thomas keller's 'ad hoc at home'. full of great info and recipes and he makes it all so doable and relatively easy. have tried stuff by adria and heston B but just give up. stephanie alexander's 'cook's companion' the other essential.

^ Ken, Zimmern did an episode on the Outback...I remember he ate wallaby, crocodile, cane toad, and some other goodies. I agree that Bourdain can be a little too much (especially with all his drug references and drinking). However, I find he can be very insightful at times and hey, I love travel in general. That's the main reason why I watch the two shows.

^ Ken, Zimmern did an episode on the Outback...I remember he ate wallaby, crocodile, cane toad, and some other goodies. I agree that Bourdain can be a little too much (especially with all his drug references and drinking). However, I find he can be very insightful at times and hey, I love travel in general. That's the main reason why I watch the two shows.

had wallaby a couple of times last week, including as tartare. roo is common but wallaby much less so (as food). both times, it was from flinders island so perhaps they had a cull. or a disease? it was really good. croc quite common but i'd take the cane toad bit with a large grain of salt. they are poisonous (in very small quantities, the poison is hallucinogenic - it featured on an episode of LA Law years ago). plenty of other things to eat out thereif you know what you are doing (mot, including me, do not).

i'll keep an eye out for it.

Bourdain is very descriptive and I like no reservations..read three of his books ..he has a few.. Zimmern is a nice guy, but don't envy some of the xhit he eats and calls it caviar..never the less both entertaining and I like tuning in to their programs

Btw. although I really like Zimmern, he lost some bad-ass points when he went to Taiwan and couldn't stomach half the stuff that was served to him :D Stinky tofu (one of my common late-night snacks) and century egg (common side-dish for dinner) were some of the things he just couldn't handle. In his defense, both have been named worst dishes in the world...

I like them both (Bourdain and Zimmern). I really liked the Bourdain episode in Lebanon where he had to be evacuated when things got hairy. Thought that real life drama made the episode more exciting than most. He had an interesting observation about the macaroni and cheese he was served on the US naval ship at the end. Ramsey seems a tosser. Tosser, indeed. This is the first time I've used the word 'tosser' (I'm a Yank, of course). Hope it's not misapplied.

I love watching No Reservations, and I like Bourdain in general. I have watched Bizarre Foods a few times and never got into it as much as No Reservations. Zimmern seems like a cool guy though. As for Ramsay, I like him. On the American made shows he is a complete d-bag, but on other shows he seems a lot better. America obviously thinks it's better for him to play up the "colorful" language, yelling, insults, etc.

Love them both. Now their new shows: The Layover and Bizarre Foods America are currently running here in the States, and are great too.

I used to really like Jamie Oliver's shows, watched him for over 10 years. Wish his shows were still on.

• 3 weeks later...

Love them both.. But massive fan of Bourdain.. He, Ramsay and Heston are probably the celebrity chefs I've always looked too.

A big fan of Bourdain and i enjoy Zimerman. Some dont enjoy drug and drinks reference, well i do. It makes him more human to me. But i feel in recent years he's getting a bit soft. He used to slag ppl ie other celebrity chefs but now he seems to toned that down a bit and gets along with everybody. It does seem that all the food now is delicious and nothin taste ****.

I've been a big fan of his shows since they went on air. From people that have met him, I've heard unfavorable things. I still love watching his shows though.

So he's sarcastic and a richard in real life, just like on tv? Good to hear he isn't just putting it on for the cameras disguise.gif . I love his shows, for those very reasons. I fully expect if I were to go up to him and say something like "Hey you're Anthony Bourdain" he might not have the friendliest thing to say to me.

have tried stuff by adria and heston B but just give up.

The Family Meal by Adria is rather easy to follow and a beautiful book. Has a couple recipes that make me shake my head, but overall lots of simple great food. It was apparently inspired by the meals that their chefs cooked for each other on work nights.

• 1 month later...

I have read pretty much everything Anthony Bourdain has written or shot(I know huge fan) I think the new show he is doing for CNN is much better than the last few seasons of the Travel channel show(no reservations). It seems to rekindle some of the fun of travelling. and does not seem as tired. I can't wait for the Koreatown LA episode(I want to move there)