Best meal you've had (or the best restaurant you've been to)

dangolf18

There used to be this little restaurant in a house in Victoria, BC with an informally trained French chef that was like 22yrs old. He sourced all his ingredients from all over the island. Best meal I ever ate, even got the waitress to take me and my wife back to the kitchen so I could shake the guy's hand. Wish I could make it back to that place, hope it's still there!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite..uni at jiros

A few years ago, my wife, who is a food and beverage photographer, was hired to shoot Garret Oliver, head brew master of Brooklyn Brewery, by a Belgian beer magazine.  Since the writer did not know Ma

Wendy's double with cheese with everything, fries, and a frosty.

starting to venture more around FOH topics and this is a really cool one...I peronally am a hole-in-the-wall restaurant type of person but I feel like the best meal(s) i have are at places I would go daily to if I had the time. so favourite hole in the walls in the Greater Toronto Area for me are

Swatow (Chinatown)

Eat a Pita (Yorkville) best falafels hands down as theyre made to order

Via Panini (Vaughan) the riceballs the mom and grandma prepare there are out of of this world

Messini's (Danforth Greektown) Best Gyros in the GTA, and the volume of people going in and out is madd

Watan Kabob (Mississauga) Great Afghan food that is packed with locals everynight

Jollytops (Bathurst & Wilson area) great Filipino food without the hipster frills. All of the above have zero hipster frills.

Sukho Thai (Parliamment & Dundas Area) Best Thai in Toronto

None of these places ever left me dissapointed...ever

Best meal/restaurant other than hole in the walls was Pizzeria Libretto and their Nduja Sausage Pizza.

I wouldn't go as far as best ever, but had a candidate for best meal of the year yesterday at Gymkhana in London. Five course game menu, Indian style.

post-13571-0-23985600-1408701081_thumb.j

The tasting menus at Le Bernadin and Blue in Cayman Islands were both excellent, but the most memorable was Jean Gorges NYC some 15 years ago. Had lunch there with some good friends with some amazing wines and excellent food.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Blackhouse Grill In Chester UK is an awesome restaurant. There steaks were perfect, never had a bad experience there.

Culinary competition with a friend who was judging it. Hosted by the pork producers. Sorry, cell phone camera just doesn't bring out the colors well. There were a total of 12 competing chefs and I either didn't take pictures of other dishes or they were badly out of focus. Everything had pork in it including a few deserts like bacon flakes on cookies or bacon brittle candy. If you left hungry you didn't eat or went to the bathroom and shoved your hand down your throat before leaving. Good time.

10672275_10202902737552297_4973044636195

993076_10202902737712301_130469392528379

1003405_10202902737912306_23029369894405

10670039_10202902738712326_6849279772645

In Geneva , Le Carnivore, in the Old Town.

In London, Tamarind , in Mayfair.

In Montreal, Ferriera cafe.

In Los Angeles, the Westwood area there used to be an Italian restaurant called Mario's,they had the best Linguine Sorrento.

As per Ken, Best (fine dining) restaurant - El Cella de can Roca

I had the privilege of dining here after my foodie cousin told me about the place so we took a flight over to Barcelona (from London). Everything was outstanding in terms of food first and foremost and service was impeccable. I've been to a couple other 3 star Michelin rated restuarants which in no way compared.

Best Steak (UK) - Goodman Restaurant in Mayfair, London. Outstanding cooking and quality of meat, my other British colleague regularly has debates with our US colleagues in terms of this one being better than most we have tried in NYC.

Best Steak (NY) - This one seems to have changed several times for me, I'm fortunate to have been to many steak restaurants in NYC and I've had excellent steaks at Porterhouse, Wolfgang's, Peter Lugers but consistancy has been an issue for Porterhouse and Wolfies. Currently my #1 spot goes to Striphouse right now...but will probably change again!

The above reflect some opinions of the higher end restaurants I've been to but I've also sampled street hawker food in Asia which I consider just as excellent in a different way.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

best meal(s) I have ever had was at Sukiyabashi Jiro's in Roppongi and Ginza. The lengend is actually true and the michelin guide got something right. Mind blowing sushi experience.

Those two are definitely on my bucket list. The documentary was truly inspiring.

• Like 1

Big fan of the Sichuan dry pot at a local authentic Chinese joint.

Also think that the Vietnamese curry dish at Kien Giang is my fave dish in town.

Should I have been born Asian???

Best meal was in southern France. My host booked the ENTIRE restaurant. We were the only guests, had a 6 course meal with a different wine with each course. It was incredible.

Close second - a terrific place in Montreal. The chairman of our Board booked the restaurant for 6 of us. When the meal ended I jokiongly said the only thing that could make it better would be a Cuban cigar. He sent our server out for 6 Monticristo #4's.

Best steak - no question, a 16 filet on the bone in chicago. Drawing a blank on the name.

I have been fortunate to do a lot of business travel for 20+ years and have eaten at many hundreds of terrific restaurants

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The best meal I've ever had was my mother's Portuguese style roast chicken the day after my father and I installed the brick oven in their back yard. Call me corny but nothing beats home cooking.

If I had to pick a specific dish at a restaurant it's the braised bone marrow or the sweetbreads at Toro in Boston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably the best meal i've had was the Roast Pig we had when we went out to Pinar Del Rio at Hector Luis farm. Everything was just right, the pig was exellent, the atmostphere and the guys i travelled with were a good bunch of guys as well. Just the serinity of it all getting away from Havana for a day.

• Like 1