Best meal you've had (or the best restaurant you've been to)

dangolf18

Best meal was in southern France. My host booked the ENTIRE restaurant. We were the only guests, had a 6 course meal with a different wine with each course. It was incredible.

Close second - a terrific place in Montreal. The chairman of our Board booked the restaurant for 6 of us. When the meal ended I jokiongly said the only thing that could make it better would be a Cuban cigar. He sent our server out for 6 Monticristo #4's.

Best steak - no question, a 16 filet on the bone in chicago. Drawing a blank on the name.

I have been fortunate to do a lot of business travel for 20+ years and have eaten at many hundreds of terrific restaurants

Which resto in Montreal?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite..uni at jiros

A few years ago, my wife, who is a food and beverage photographer, was hired to shoot Garret Oliver, head brew master of Brooklyn Brewery, by a Belgian beer magazine.  Since the writer did not know Ma

Wendy's double with cheese with everything, fries, and a frosty.

Probably the best meal i've had was the Roast Pig we had when we went out to Pinar Del Rio at Hector Luis farm. Everything was just right, the pig was exellent, the atmostphere and the guys i travelled with were a good bunch of guys as well. Just the serinity of it all getting away from Havana for a day.

That was a good day...minus the camera issue... :)

E

• Like 1

Well it is definitely in the top 5 meals for me, only because it's too hard for me to pick one, but Maroni cuisine in Northport, NY on Long Island. What a great place to eat and enjoy a culinary experience. For me it's as close a culinary experience you can get to smoking a cigar. 20-25 courses, no menu, relaxing, unlimited beer/wine, and your meal evolves and the flavors all change from course to course exciting all of your taste buds. A little pricey, not too fancy inside, and the owner and his family serve some of the courses most days in a very friendly welcoming way.

Best meal so far this year was with my girlfriend on valentines day at Madame Janettes in Aruba last week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well it is definitely in the top 5 meals for me, only because it's too hard for me to pick one, but Maroni cuisine in Northport, NY on Long Island. What a great place to eat and enjoy a culinary experience. For me it's as close a culinary experience you can get to smoking a cigar. 20-25 courses, no menu, relaxing, unlimited beer/wine, and your meal evolves and the flavors all change from course to course exciting all of your taste buds. A little pricey, not too fancy inside, and the owner and his family serve some of the courses most days in a very friendly welcoming way.

Best meal so far this year was with my girlfriend on valentines day at Madame Janettes in Aruba last week.

I have to agree that Maroni is a awesome meal and definatley takes the cake for the long island dining scene

• 5 months later...

The Whiskey Jar in Charlottesville, Virgina is one of the best restaurants I've been to in my life. Farm to table done southern style. Great whiskey and cocktail selection and everything we had from apps to dessert was delicious. Highly recommended to anyone in or traveling to the area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chef Gordon Ramsay's Pub & Grill in Atlantic City

Their signature Gin and Tonic is fantastic

Their Calamari I have ever had. They serve it with a type of mayo instead of the traditional Marinara Sauce

The Best NY Strip steak cooked medium-rare serverd with fingerling potatos lightly coated in what seemed to be a type of beer cheese sauce topped with bacon.

Also great espresso!

• 1 month later...

Still to this day I enjoy my Americanized Chinese Restaurant and have had some of the best meals there consistently!

There's a place in Chicago called Eduardo's I believe and that's the best pizza I've had ever.

Adam Llado (Smoking Bull)

One of the best was at Boyer-Les Crayers in Reims France where I went with my wife for our honeymoon. We had several meals there, one better than the next. Don't ask me what I ate, it was too long ago. And we had 2 bottles of Champagne with every meal.

I have 2 favorite restaurants in NYC. Peter Luger has been a consistent favorite of mine for 30 years. And Wolfgangs is close to them, with a much better wine list. My second favorite is Keens Chophouse on 36th Street. One of my favorite meals was with my firm, and we ordered single malt whisky flights and shared their Prime Rib, Mutton Chops, Porterhouse for 2, lamb chops and lobster. This place is a hidden gem.

One of my favorites is closed many years now. Mike and Tony's in Park Slope Brooklyn. Opened by the Chef and the Owner of Cucina's (also sadly now closed- the owner and chef had a nasty falling out) this was a Steak and Cigar restaurant. I went there with two good friends and we each smoked half a great Lusi before breaking for amazing steaks, (porterhouse and strip shared) french fries, home made ketchup and great sides. Then back to the bar with single malts and finished the Lusis until we had trouble standing up. They left in a limo and I took a car service 7 blocks to my home.

I have also had many memorable meals cooked at home- steak, prime rib, pizza with home made whole wheat dough and lasagna are a few of my favorites.

• Like 1

Got conned into going, but I had a great vegan meal at Bodhi Restaurant & Bar in Sydney (College St near St Mary's Cathedral). Actually tasted very good, despite there not being a skerrick of meat in the whole meal.

• 2 weeks later...

The best food I have had was actually street food in Bangkok Sukhumvit soi 38. I only had Pad Thai followed by mango and coconut rice but it was absolutely stunning. Definitely a must for anyone visiting Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

IL Vino in Paris. Food was unforgettable in 11 courses, but what made the meal is that all courses are paired with the wine that you choose.... so it's really a wine flight with awesome food pairer by sommelier's. Incredibly good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

As per Ken, Best (fine dining) restaurant - El Cella de can Roca

I had the privilege of dining here after my foodie cousin told me about the place so we took a flight over to Barcelona (from London). Everything was outstanding in terms of food first and foremost and service was impeccable. I've been to a couple other 3 star Michelin rated restuarants which in no way compared.

Best Steak (UK) - Goodman Restaurant in Mayfair, London. Outstanding cooking and quality of meat, my other British colleague regularly has debates with our US colleagues in terms of this one being better than most we have tried in NYC.

Best Steak (NY) - This one seems to have changed several times for me, I'm fortunate to have been to many steak restaurants in NYC and I've had excellent steaks at Porterhouse, Wolfgang's, Peter Lugers but consistancy has been an issue for Porterhouse and Wolfies. Currently my #1 spot goes to Striphouse right now...but will probably change again!

The above reflect some opinions of the higher end restaurants I've been to but I've also sampled street hawker food in Asia which I consider just as excellent in a different way.

Cheers!

Goodman's! I was a Hawksmoor fan, but once I went to Goodman's I knew it was on. Great call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

About five years ago there was a French restaurant in a house in Victoria BC. The chef was an untrained 19yr old kid. Best meal I've ever eaten. My wife went back into the kitchen to shake the kid's hand. We were dismayed to go back a few years later and find the place had closed and become some weird vegan place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk