Montecristo "A" - 2006

I'm still a newbie here, still learning the ropes. Surely didn't think I would be posting a review just yet, don't consider myself as knowledgeable of subtlties of fine Habanos (although I've been smoking them for almost 20 years now). I have a hell of a time discerning the exact flavors of a good cigar, rather like a self-taught blues musician, i find my way with instinct and what I just think is good. Like a kid who knows his neighborhood streets like the back of his hand but cannot tell you the name of the street he lives on.

What good cigars do for me is change me, take me out of my current headspace and put me somewhere else. Since I've smoked cigars for as long as I have, I am filled with great memories attached to good Habanos and when I find one with fantastic aromas, dense smoke and a taste that reminds me of a great memory of past cigar conquests, I know I'm smoking a classic.

The Montecristo "A" motivated me to write this today. The "A" had me walking down memory lane for a good 2+ hours, strolling past old friends, beautiful sunsets, laid back European coffe houses and with old smoking buddies that have long since moved on. All while walking around Long Island City, New York. Go figure.

The Monte "A" is one of the greatest cigars I've ever had the pleasure of smoking.

post-16494-0-62788300-1362350170_thumb.j

(not even half way there....)

It started out very smooth. Accompanied by a large hot green tea I picked up from the coffeehouse next door, I attracted a lot of attention from kids and elderly folks walking down the crowded Astoria streets, like a sideshow act in a traveling circus, the kids waiting to see if this oversized novelty cigar would burst into a bouquet of paper flowers. Instead, I was immediately hit by the gorgeous aroma of the smoke this cigar produces, immediately any self-awareness of onlookers faded and I slowed my pace down Broadway and immediately turned onto a side street to have some alone time with this marvel.

I procured this particular "A" from my local connection, a wonderful tobacconist who shall remain anonymous due to a certain embargo that still (sadly) exists in this part of town. I visited him back in November and purchased a number of boxes dated 1998 when i was presented with a massive half filled cedar box branding the Montecristo emblem on it. I immediately waved it off. "No way, I'm not smoking that, I would never have the time". My Wizard of Oz insisted, declaring that an old customer used to purchase one at a time until he recently passed away and the box had been lying in hiding behind the guise of non-cubans in his walk-in humidor for the last five years. He insisted again. We did this three times before I reluctantly walked out of the store with 16 massive cigars I thought I would never, ever smoke in my life. Box code TBS ABE 06. The rest is history.

As the cigar reaches it's half way point, it explodes with flavor, the smoke catching the noses of innocent bystanders as they walk past but instead of the usual disgruntled crinkling of the nose they remained content in the aromas that this brilliant stick produces.

'S wonderful. 'S marvelous. this cigar makes me sing.

But it only got better. as you reach the last 1/3 you begin to wonder how time flew by so quickly, how this amazing lover is already putting her boots on and getting ready to head out the door. Montecristo's are like that; a passionate woman (or man, whatever suites your fancy) who you don't trust because they may not be what they claim but you keep going back hoping that they will give you what you've once had, that they will bless you with an experience you take to the grave.

Am I gushing? Yup. I have 15 more of these in my humidor and you're damn right I'm going to keep going back. Because I'm a sucker for romance.

Thanks guys, I was clearly quite inspired by this particular smoke....

To answer your question, CaptainQuintero, it took about 4.5 lazy miles or just over 2 hours... You really start it it fast, thinking it will take forever but after twenty minutes you settle in and let it happen...

Fantastic review! Thank you for sharing this! I love the A! Just never have enough time to actually smoke mine.

• 1 month later...

Hi I just read this because I was planning on doing a vertical on this cigar, but then realized that I may die.

I hope you didn't get this in NYC/Long Island/NJ. There are shops there known in the circles for switching.

thanks everybody, I appreciate the remarks and votes of confidence!

mk05, I got these from a vendor out of state but am intrigued by what you mean when you say "there are shops there known in the circles for switching"...

and finecigar, let me take this moment to tell you how awesome your award winning review was, congrats!!

I am still floored by how great the Montecristo "A" smoked for me when I wrote this review, it really is a special cigar. Considering it's narrow ring gauge, the leaves they use for these must be the absolute best quality they have down there. I am now waiting for the next opportunity to smoke another.

and i just may want to share a few with you guys.... heheheh....

The rollers for the lancero and A are the most skilled due to how hard it is to roll.

There were couple threads in the past in different forums about a couple shops around the NY/NJ area that sold fake Montecristo - Cubans in general - got caught by several well known members, but kept doing it to newer folks.

Ah, gotcha.... yeah, when I said "local" in my review, I mis-spoke... i suppose if i can travel there within two hours, it's "local"... heheheh

only response I've ever gotten from a new york city cigar vendor when trying to locate a cuban cigar is hostility for not buying their $45 davidoff's.... thanks for the heads up, though!