Sherry monsters - which to go for?

winelover

Try some of the older Glenfarclas bottlings if you get a chance. I personally don't rate the 105 very high compared with the rest of the Glenfarclas catalog, but as with most things in life, you have to pay to play.....

The 30 year is fantasic imo.

Interesting recipe. Will try that. I have a bottle of 105 that I need to finish.

As far a peaty sherried whiskies go, I tried the Ardbeg Uigeadail and was very impressed, much more so than I thought I would be because I typically expect those types of special releases to be mostly marketing hype.

• 1 month later...

Try some of the older Glenfarclas bottlings if you get a chance. I personally don't rate the 105 very high compared with the rest of the Glenfarclas catalog, but as with most things in life, you have to pay to play.....

Agreed. I found the 105 over powering but the 21 and the 30 yr are a pretty amazing scotch from Glenfarclas. Considering you can get the 21 for around $100 (in Canada). Its a great buy.

I was fortunate to attend a "deconstruction of the Balvenie 30 year old" tasting a little over a year ago and we tasted everything from 3 year old to 12 year old in American oak and sherry oak respectively before trying the 30 Y/O in American casks and in sherry casks which is then blended to make the 30 year that is their standard offering. When we tasted the 30 year American cask most of us were blown away with the complex flavors. They asked us if we would buy a bottle of that if it was available and the 20 of us in the room all said yes...unfortunately they won't part with it (it was all cask samples). The sherry cask samples were really over sweet and missing a lot of complexity that was masked by the overwhelming sweet flavor. We were told that the broader Balvenie customer base prefers a sweeter scotch but I my taste is more towards the A'bunadh (not that I will turn down a dram o the 30 y/o if someone was nice enough to pour me one :-)

• 1 month later...

Update on my bottle of 'farclas 105 as I've now had 1/3rd of a bottle and can form some opinions.

Nose - unmistakably sherry from several feet away and strong alcohol as expected. After adding a little water the nose settles and becomes softer and more inviting. Not the most complex but rhen it is 10 yo whisky.

Colour - dark, I'm guessing a vatting of first and second fill oloroso sherry casks. No added caramel coloueing - yay!

On the palate - rich sherry, sweet raisins, some vanilla, and malt. Best drunk with a teaspoon or two of water added to my glencairn copita, and beware that it easily drowns. Would benefit if it was non-chill filtered as would be more viscous and improve the mouth feel.

Finish /overall - lovely example of sherry matured whisky and fairly inexpensive in the UK so worth having a go.Would like to compare it in a side by side with the non-chill filtered Aberlour A'bunadh

Over the years, I have been fortunate to have tried the Aberlour A'Bunadh since the batch numbers were in the single digits every now and again. They have been consistently good.

Similarly for the Glenfarclas 105, every now and then since they time they still bottled them in the taller bottles.

If I had to choose between the two, I will find it a difficult task, they are both very good with the Aberlour providing a gentler and mellower spirit while the Glenfarclas I find to be a little more exuberant and vibrant.

Currently have a bottle each that is still unopened:

uragusys.jpg

If you like heavily sherried malts, I will also recommend to try the following:

- Glendronach Parliament 21 YO

- Glengoyne 21 YO

A firm favourite of mine is the Auchentoshan Three Wood. If you go Japanese, do try the ***** Whisky from the Barrel.

Currently I have a bottle of Glenlivet 18 YO which is quite sherried but not as sherried as the others. Rather, it is a more balanced style that is very enjoyable too. If you fancy this style, also try the Glenfarclas 21 YO.

Over the years, I have been fortunate to have tried the Aberlour A'Bunadh since the batch numbers were in the single digits every now and again. They have been consistently good.

Similarly for the Glenfarclas 105, every now and then since they time they still bottled them in the taller bottles.

If I had to choose between the two, I will find it a difficult task, they are both very good with the Aberlour providing a gentler and mellower spirit while the Glenfarclas I find to be a little more exuberant and vibrant.

Currently have a bottle each that is still unopened:

uragusys.jpg

If you like heavily sherried malts, I will also recommend to try the following:

- Glendronach Parliament 21 YO

- Glengoyne 21 YO

A firm favourite of mine is the Auchentoshan Three Wood. If you go Japanese, do try the ***** Whisky from the Barrel.

Currently I have a bottle of Glenlivet 18 YO which is quite sherried but not as sherried as the others. Rather, it is a more balanced style that is very enjoyable too. If you fancy this style, also try the Glenfarclas 21 YO.

Thanks v much for sharing. I am keen on getting a bottle or two of Glendronach. I may take the Revival as I can get it for less than £40 and at the top end I will definitely try the Parliament at some point but may go for one of their single casks first (not that much more expensive).

Also going to take advantage of a supermarket special and pick up a Glenfiddich 12 yo for £20 ehich is certainly sherry influenced. I bought the 'fiddich 20 cl 12yo/15yo/18 yo side by sides last year and I liked the freshness of the 12yo best. Many look down upon the 'fiddich 12 but lately it is pretty good - Ralfy 86points late last year.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have found this very inconsistent as well.

Good luck with the A'bunadh. I ended up batch chasing with it, the batch to batch inconsistency is quite staggering in my view. That's one of the reasons why I decided to stock up on the 105 instead.